This mum's $2 grout cleaning tip is dividing the internet – must-try or hard pass?

There will come a time in your life when you simply don't have the time or energy to spend scrubbing and sweeping the floors, wiping down the counters and cleaning your bathroom, and that time is now!

We know that as we get older, it becomes more and more difficult to keep on top of things the way we used to. Our joints ache, our energy levels aren't what they used to be, and some days it feels like all we can do is just keep ourselves upright, let alone tidy up the house!

That's why any tips or tricks that make home cleaning easier (and less time-consuming) are always welcome. So when we heard about this one mum's shower grout transformation using a $2 budget buy from ALDI, we just had to share it with our members.

Screen Shot 2022-11-28 at 8.08.53 AM.png
One mum revealed her secret for a quick and easy grout transformation. Credit: Facebook.

One mum, Leah, posted on Facebook about how she used 'Power Force Mould Away' from ALDIto restore her filthy shower grout with zero scrubbing required. She simply sprayed it on, let it sit for 30 minutes, and then rinsed it off – easy peasy! And we haven't even told you the best part yet. This 'Mould Away' cleaner is only $2.59!

The post quickly sparked a heated debate among home cleaners everywhere, with most people loving Leah's tip and saying they couldn't wait to try the product for themselves!

However, not everyone was convinced. Some described the cleaning agent as 'toxic' and 'too potent' – although these reactions are apparently common and preventable if proper precaution is taken (such as putting the exhaust fan on and opening windows).

'I just saw this post but wanted to add a warning to it. I used this last week, and I have damaged my throat from the fumes,' one woman commented, adding, 'Just be careful and take precautions when using it, it does work well, but it's extremely potent.'

Screen Shot 2022-11-28 at 8.08.47 AM.png
The leave-on cleaning product is a favourite among many homes, but some advise using it very carefully. Credit: ALDI Australia.

Wearing appropriate safety gear, such as gloves, eye/face protection, and protective clothes, is advised on the ALDI Power Force Mould Away product label.

Additionally, it specifies that the product must not come into contact with the skin, eyes, or clothing, nor should it be mixed with other chemicals.

If you're keen to give the cleaning product a try, please use it with caution and in a well-ventilated area, and always wash your hands afterwards.
Tip
Here are some less toxic alternatives for some popular cleaning supplies.
  • Instead of Ajax Spray n' Wipe, you can try using Morning Fresh Washing Up Liquid (mixed with water).
  • Instead of Windex, you can try using Morning Fresh Washing Up Liquid (mixed with water).
  • Instead of Easy Off Soap Scum spray, you can try using Bar Keepers Friend.
  • Instead of White King Two-in-One Mould and Soap Scum Spray, you can try using Selleys Rapid Mould Killer.

Overall though, most people seemed happy with the cleaning product's results! So if you are looking for an easy way to transform your shower grout without spending hours scrubbing away at it, this budget-friendly item from ALDI might be worth checking out.

Have you ever tried Power Force Mould Away or any other similar products? We'd love to hear your experiences (good or bad!) in the comments below.

Sponsored
There will come a time in your life when you simply don't have the time or energy to spend scrubbing and sweeping the floors, wiping down the counters and cleaning your bathroom, and that time is now!

We know that as we get older, it becomes more and more difficult to keep on top of things the way we used to. Our joints ache, our energy levels aren't what they used to be, and some days it feels like all we can do is just keep ourselves upright, let alone tidy up the house!

That's why any tips or tricks that make home cleaning easier (and less time-consuming) are always welcome. So when we heard about this one mum's shower grout transformation using a $2 budget buy from ALDI, we just had to share it with our members.

View attachment 9566
One mum revealed her secret for a quick and easy grout transformation. Credit: Facebook.

One mum, Leah, posted on Facebook about how she used 'Power Force Mould Away' from ALDIto restore her filthy shower grout with zero scrubbing required. She simply sprayed it on, let it sit for 30 minutes, and then rinsed it off – easy peasy! And we haven't even told you the best part yet. This 'Mould Away' cleaner is only $2.59!

The post quickly sparked a heated debate among home cleaners everywhere, with most people loving Leah's tip and saying they couldn't wait to try the product for themselves!

However, not everyone was convinced. Some described the cleaning agent as 'toxic' and 'too potent' – although these reactions are apparently common and preventable if proper precaution is taken (such as putting the exhaust fan on and opening windows).

'I just saw this post but wanted to add a warning to it. I used this last week, and I have damaged my throat from the fumes,' one woman commented, adding, 'Just be careful and take precautions when using it, it does work well, but it's extremely potent.'

View attachment 9567
The leave-on cleaning product is a favourite among many homes, but some advise using it very carefully. Credit: ALDI Australia.

Wearing appropriate safety gear, such as gloves, eye/face protection, and protective clothes, is advised on the ALDI Power Force Mould Away product label.

Additionally, it specifies that the product must not come into contact with the skin, eyes, or clothing, nor should it be mixed with other chemicals.

If you're keen to give the cleaning product a try, please use it with caution and in a well-ventilated area, and always wash your hands afterwards.
Tip
  • Instead of Ajax Spray n' Wipe, you can try using Morning Fresh Washing Up Liquid (mixed with water).
  • Instead of Windex, you can try using Morning Fresh Washing Up Liquid (mixed with water).
  • Instead of White King Two-in-One Mould and Soap Scum Spray, you can try using Selleys Rapid Mould Killer.

Overall though, most people seemed happy with the cleaning product's results! So if you are looking for an easy way to transform your shower grout without spending hours scrubbing away at it, this budget-friendly item from ALDI might be worth checking out.

Have you ever tried Power Force Mould Away or any other similar products? We'd love to hear your experiences (good or bad!) in the comments below.
Undiluted bleach sprayed on, is cheaper, easier, and works best

Reactions: Groovy
Have used this Aldi mould remover on the rubber on the fridge doors, on tiles and my husband uses it on his boat canopy to keep mould off, works a treat.

I use it all the time. Leaves the shower sparkling! Also use it on the kitchen sink drain. I have the white plastic ones that go yucky brown. Spray mould away and looks like new😉

Reactions: Bindii
The difference between this Aldi mould killer is it takes 30 minutes to work, whereas the Selleys rapid mould killer takes 2 to 3 minutes to work, then wash off. Selleys is awesome and can bought from Woolies or Coles.

Has anyone used a steam cleaner for their shower ie. mould/grout & tiles?
I was thinking of a Karcher steam cleaner

Last edited:
Has anyone used a steam cleaner for their shower ie. mould/grout & tiles?
I was thinking of a Karcher steam cleaner
Never tried it, but my thoughts are steam cleaners are HIGH pressure and you risk blowing the grout out from between the tiles if it's not in 100% top notch condition.

Never tried it, but my thoughts are steam cleaners are HIGH pressure and you risk blowing the grout out from between the tiles if it's not in 100% top notch condition.
I was looking at their hand held cleaner. There's a Karcher shop nearby me & I asked the salesman about it. He said it's the same temperature as boiling water in the kettle with steam that kills bacteria, mould etc. Will return & ask him about the high pressure. It also comes with this oven rack cleaner attachment which would be handy. Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• steam cleaner.jpg
    steam cleaner.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 0
  • steam cleaner oven.jpg
    steam cleaner oven.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Reactions: Bindii

View attachment 9566

View attachment 9567

Tip

I bought a bottle to try it on my shower wall tiles and grout. Sprayed it on and my wife was upset with the strong chlorine smell.
After 15mins, I rinsed the tiles and grout but the mould was still in the grout. Score: mould 1 - Mould Away 0.

This won’t help without scrubbing the grout between the tiles to get rid of the mould.