This mum is furious over her neighbour's home security camera: ‘Makes me feel so uncomfortable’

In an age where privacy concerns are at an all-time high, the last thing you'd want is to feel like you're being watched in your own backyard.

Yet, this is the unsettling reality for a mum whose neighbour's new security camera makes her feel more than just a little uneasy.

The woman, hailing from a picturesque suburb, found herself in a distressing predicament when she noticed a camera perched on her neighbour's property.

She said, ‘Our neighbour that we don't get along with at all has put up a camera directly facing our townhouse.’

‘He has also put them up in the common area of the garage...we have three young kids and it makes me feel so uncomfortable that they're being watched when they play outside.’

compressed-shutterstock_1901598382 (1).jpeg
A suburban mum expressed her concern as her neighbour installed a security camera that allegedly looks directly into her backyard. Image Source: Shutterstock / APChanel

Taking her concerns to her real estate agent, the mum hoped for a resolution.

Unfortunately, she was met with the disheartening news that nothing could be done.

Feeling powerless, the mum turned to social media for advice. This is where she learned that she wasn’t the only one to face this problem.

One social media user said, 'We've had the same and called the police, they came out within the hours and asked to see their footage to confirm what they can see.’

Others suggested that she use something to obstruct the camera's view such as a tall bamboo plant or a screening panel.

In New South Wales, the law allows for cameras to overlook public areas, but what constitutes a 'public area' can sometimes be a grey area.

However, It's clear that cameras should not be directed into private spaces such as bathrooms or through windows in someone's home. Residents can ask the police to determine exactly what the camera is catching.

A Property Lawyer, Monica Rouvellas, said ‘Contact the local police and they can come out and actually request to view that person's footage to see exactly what's been looked at.’

‘And then the police can…request that the camera be taken down or repositioned.’

This story is just the latest addition to a host of other stories of petty neighbourhood squabbles escalating into remarkable heights.

This homeowner built an undeniably sizeable fence to keep his neighbour at bay, but you’ll never believe how their neighbour responded. You can read more about the story here.
Key Takeaways

• A mum has expressed her discomfort after spotting a home security camera installed by her neighbour, which she believes overlooks her backyard where her children play.
  • She sought advice online and received mixed responses, with some people suggesting ways to block the camera's view, while others shared similar experiences.
  • In New South Wales, while cameras can overlook public areas, they cannot be pointed directly at a person's bathroom or windows without potentially violating privacy.
  • The resident was advised that local police might be able to request to view the footage to ensure it is not invading privacy and possibly ask the neighbour to reposition or remove the camera.
Have you ever encountered a situation where your privacy felt compromised by a neighbour's security measures? How did you handle it? Share your stories and tips in the comments below!

Last edited:
Sponsored
I have 24hr security camera's installed at my home. After I they were installed, I got the police to check the view then I took a screen shot of what was covered by them. I then spoke to each neighbour about what they covered in each of their yards, I then got the neighbour to sign the back with any note of what they wanted to change. The funny thing was all my neighbours asked if I could cover more of their yard as possible while still fully covering mine. I might be a lucky one with my neighbours.

I have always understood that - home properties aren't considered public, but paddocks are if can be seen from the road, so do front yards if not fenced to obstruct house become public?. But enclosed backyards no. Seems there isn't consistency in this.

Reactions: Ezzy
When I worked professionally as a photographer the law was that a place visible from public places, i.e public roads, parks and other places could be photographed or filmed. Unless the council, state or federal government gazetted restrictions on doing so.

Similarly any place visible from private property could be photographed or filmed by someone who owned, rented or was allowed onto the property, unless the owner or resident said otherwise.

Though in both cases audio recording people, without their consent, was and still is strictly prohibited.

However, for the purposes of child protection and preservation of personal privacy these simple rules have been changed and made much more complicated.

Firstly, no one can film or photograph children without the permission of their parents, except in a number of circumstances that would take a long time to cover in detail.
Short version, Just Don't!

Secondly, when filming or photographing private property you cannot record anything not visible with your eyes, i.e. no long or zoom lenses allowed.

Further, if you find that you have unintentionally captured something that you are not allowed to photograph or film you are required to blur it out on the original and every copy.

Which all is why high quality home security systems have software that allows you to block out parts of the cameras views, such as your neighbours windows and doors, pools and playground equipment Etc. Etc.

Bottom line, you should think about hiring a professional to set up your security system, especially if you don't like or trust your neighbours.

I don't know whether you can buy them, but laser pointers, pointed straight the cameras may help or a strong beam of light.
High power lasers are illegal in Australia, and so is deliberately shining a spotlight on your neighbours house.

Plus it would probably disturb other neighbours sleep, making you the bad guy in the neighbourhood.

I would have thought that if the security camera was filming in the neighbour's yard this would be an INVASION OF PRIVACY.
It can be, especially if it covers any part of the back yard or any windows or doors. But most parts of the front yard it's not. Both my security company & my local police explained this to me as my home has a much bigger front & side yards than back yard, so my cameras do encroach on my all my neighbours. That why I did a screen photo from each camera so the neighbours could see what my cameras covered.

Remember, rule of thumb is "if you can see it from a public pathway or road while walking (i.e back or side laneway) it's not covered under the "Invasion of Privacy" rule. So, in short, build high boundary fences, but check with your council first to see what hight restrictions are in place.