This much-loved Aussie treat just got a lot more expensive at Coles and Woolies!

Remember the good old days when we could indulge in our favourite Aussie treats without breaking the bank? Ah, those were the times! But sadly, it seems like those days are long gone.

In the midst of a cost-of-living crisis, Aussies are being hit with skyrocketing prices left, right, and centre, and now even our beloved Golden Gaytime ice cream has fallen victim to this unfortunate trend.

Golden Gaytime is an iconic Aussie treat that's practically synonymous with summertime — but now, instead of enjoying this classic toffee and vanilla-flavoured confection for a reasonable price, we're shelling out a whopping $10 for a four-pack at supermarkets like Coles and Woolworths.

That's almost an 18 per cent increase from just a couple of years ago when a multipack cost only $8.49!

Screen Shot 2023-04-18 at 10.36.57 AM.png
Golden Gaytime ice cream has suffered a price increase at supermarkets, with a four-pack now retailing for $10. Credit: TikTok/kaitlinknight.

If you prefer to buy single sticks of Golden Gaytime, be prepared to fork out as much as $5, up from $3.40 right before the pandemic hit. Even the limited-edition varieties are getting more and more expensive, with some boxes now exceeding the $12 mark.

It's no wonder fans of Golden Gaytime are feeling outraged by these price increases. We all want to enjoy our favourite Aussie treats without feeling like we're breaking the bank.

Here's hoping that something changes soon, and we can once again indulge in our beloved Golden Gaytime without worrying about the cost.

It's always helpful to know why things are happening, and the same goes for the price increase of Golden Gaytime ice cream. According to Streets, the company behind this iconic Aussie treat, there are several factors at play.

One of the main reasons for the price hike is material and ingredient inflation. As the cost of raw materials and ingredients increases, it becomes more expensive for companies like Streets to produce their products.

On top of that, higher energy costs and rising wages also contribute to the increase in price.

While these factors are certainly important to consider, it's worth noting that the sale price of Golden Gaytime ultimately falls under the discretion of the retailers. So, while Streets may be facing higher costs, it's up to supermarkets and other retailers to decide how much they want to charge consumers for the product.

It's not just Golden Gaytime ice cream that's leaving Aussies feeling frustrated and fuming. Recently, a TikTok user named Kaitlin posted a video highlighting the increased prices of various grocery items, including staples like cereal, soft drinks, and chips.

Her video struck a chord with many viewers, who were quick to agree with her and express their shock at the situation. Some even went as far as to call it 'daylight robbery'.

Comments flooded in, with one user expressing their anger at the situation, saying, 'I'm actually at the point of anger when grocery shopping now.'

Another viewer couldn't believe the price of a single pack of Pringles, stating, 'One single pack of Pringles for $6… Are you kidding?'

It's clear that Aussies are feeling the pinch of these rising prices, and it's not just a few items that are affected.

Hopefully, companies and retailers will find a way to balance their costs while still providing affordable options for everyday essentials. Until then, it's essential to keep a keen eye on our budgets and look for ways to make our grocery shopping experience as cost-effective as possible.

Key Takeaways

• A recent price hike in Golden Gaytime ice cream has left Aussies frustrated and outraged.
  • Streets, the manufacturer of Golden Gaytime, cited reasons such as material and ingredient inflation, higher energy costs, and rising wages as the causes of the increase.
  • This price hike is part of a wider trend of increasing grocery prices, prompting Aussies to look for alternative brands or products and seek out money-saving tips to manage their expenses.

It's understandable that many of us are feeling financial strain during these challenging times. However, there are ways we can manage our expenses and still enjoy the things we love.

One strategy is to keep an eye out for specials and promotions at your local supermarket, allowing you to stock up on your favourite items when they are on sale. It's also worth exploring alternative brands or products that offer better value for money. You may even discover some new favourites along the way!

For more money-saving tips and tricks, check out the Money Saving Hacks forum on the SDC website. There, you'll find helpful advice on managing your weekly expenses, such as checking your receipt after grocery shopping to avoid being overcharged.

By working together and being proactive about managing our finances, we can navigate this cost of living crisis and still enjoy our favourite Aussie treats - in moderation, of course! So, let's get savvy with our spending and make the most out of every dollar.

Members, what are your thoughts on the recent price increase in Golden Gaytime ice cream? Are there any other iconic Aussie treats that you've noticed have increased in price? Let us know in the comments!

Sponsored
A lot of items have increased dramatically. So, I refuse to buy them anymore unless they are on sale 40-50%. However, some items haven't been increased that I also buy. I will not state what those items are as highly likely that Coles & Woolworth's will inflate them dramatically.

I just wait for the items that I normally use go on 40-50% sale and stock up.

Plus, with having Woolworth's Extra Rewards I get 10% so I try to plan when to buy, when 50% off and then I get 10% off extra. It works out at 60% Off.

Take into account that Woolworths only have Cadbury chocolate off by 40% this week and IGA have 50% off making it $2.75 per block of chocolate.

So, I'm patient and yes it's a luxury. I know for a fact that Woolworths will have it for 50% off soon and if it suits me I'll get that extra 10% off when it's on 50% Off special and it suits me to buy then and then use that 10%. That brings the chocolate down to $2.48. I usually buy a few blocks like 10x = $27.50 - $2.75 10% Off = $24.75.

I just plan it all out and I also shop elsewhere when my items off 50% and I need them.

I have healthy home-cooked meals in the freezer, plus chicken pieces that I cut up and deskinned the chicken myself because Woollies had Steggles whole chickens for $3.50 p/kilo a few weeks ago and I purchased a few. Plus, I used my 10% Rewards off. Steggle's whole chickens for $3.15 p/kilo, you can't argue with those prices. You just do the cutting up & deskinning yourself and freeze in portions. It's not Rocket Science just a little work involved to save big.
You are a savvy shopper - good on ya! Breathe the names of those items and W & C will hear that breath and the prices will rise next week!!! Keep up your good shopping habits while you can.

Why do so many have to complain all the time when they could often wait for discounts and specials and stock up then. I do not always buy bulk or when on special but there are always options for all of us to save.

I just would like to know where has the cheap (was $10 now $12) dry 2kg dog food gone from Aldi??? Was last seen in store about 3 months ago??