This landlord demands these bizarre house rules from renters

We've all heard stories of strict landlords who require outrageous demands from their tenants.

Remember the landlord who was charging $250 a week for ‘apartments’ that offer two single mattress-sleepers in one bedroom? How about the hostel charging $350 weekly for a single bunk bed in a 100-person dorm?

Here’s another one, and this time it’s in Perth—all because of a landlord’s requests that left everyone stunned.

A room in a house in Southeast Perth was listed on the rental market for $200 a week.

The listing was posted online around June 2023, along with a photo of a modern and clean kitchen and a list of rules a tenant would have to live by.

The tenant was not allowed to cook 'often', not allowed to host a party, and not even allowed to have friends stay over.

Screenshot 2023-11-01 at 3.10.12 PM.png
Perth landlord’s strict conditions for a rental property. Credit: Facebook

Many online people speculated about this and agreed that it meant the tenant wouldn't be able to even cook their dinner every night.

One person said, ‘How is this lucky person supposed to eat if they can't cook food?’

‘What do you want them to do, starve?’ said another.

Another person said cheekily, ‘I want you to pay rent but not “live.”’

‘Looks like a fun place to live… not.’

‘Why pay $200 per week just to move back in with your parents?’ another commented.

Oddly enough, despite looking to rent out space for a rental, the poster specified looking for someone who ‘respect(s) private space’.

But despite these conditions, the room was successfully rented out.

Screenshot 2023-11-01 at 3.27.35 PM.png
A photo of a modern and clean kitchen was included in the rental property ad posted last June 2023. Credit: Facebook

The likely reason? Perth is currently dealing with a housing crisis, with rental vacancy rates at an all-time low.

There are only 0.4 per cent of rental properties available in Perth, which makes the Western Australian capital’s rental market the tightest in Australia.

If you think you’ve seen enough, check out this story we previously posted. A tiny studio apartment in Melbourne’s Central Business District gained traction online for its cramped space and dubbed as a ‘prison cell.’

To make it worse, it was for rent for $320 a week! Read more about this story here.

Key Takeaways

• A Perth landlord's strict list of conditions for a rental property has caused anger among potential tenants.
  • The room for rent had a list of strict rules including that the tenant cannot cook 'often', host parties, or have friends stay over.
  • Despite the outrageous conditions laid out, it was successfully rented out.
  • Perth currently has the lowest rental vacancy rate in the country, with just 0.4 per cent of its rental properties available.

What do you think of this story? Do you think this rental property’s rules are justified? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
I can understand the no parties & no one staying over. After all, it is only a room for rent (& some time in the kitchen) not the whole house. However, to say there is a limit on cooking is outrageous. I guess the owner doesn't want the household to be too disturbed by the rent of the room.

We've all heard stories of strict landlords who require outrageous demands from their tenants.

Remember the landlord who was charging $250 a week for ‘apartments’ that offer two single mattress-sleepers in one bedroom? How about the hostel charging $350 weekly for a single bunk bed in a 100-person dorm?

Here’s another one, and this time it’s in Perth—all because of a landlord’s requests that left everyone stunned.

A room in a house in Southeast Perth was listed on the rental market for $200 a week.

The listing was posted online around June 2023, along with a photo of a modern and clean kitchen and a list of rules a tenant would have to live by.

The tenant was not allowed to cook 'often', not allowed to host a party, and not even allowed to have friends stay over.

View attachment 33671
Perth landlord’s strict conditions for a rental property. Credit: Facebook

Many online people speculated about this and agreed that it meant the tenant wouldn't be able to even cook their dinner every night.

One person said, ‘How is this lucky person supposed to eat if they can't cook food?’

‘What do you want them to do, starve?’ said another.

Another person said cheekily, ‘I want you to pay rent but not “live.”’

‘Looks like a fun place to live… not.’

‘Why pay $200 per week just to move back in with your parents?’ another commented.

Oddly enough, despite looking to rent out space for a rental, the poster specified looking for someone who ‘respect(s) private space’.

But despite these conditions, the room was successfully rented out.

View attachment 33672
A photo of a modern and clean kitchen was included in the rental property ad posted last June 2023. Credit: Facebook

The likely reason? Perth is currently dealing with a housing crisis, with rental vacancy rates at an all-time low.

There are only 0.4 per cent of rental properties available in Perth, which makes the Western Australian capital’s rental market the tightest in Australia.

If you think you’ve seen enough, check out this story we previously posted. A tiny studio apartment in Melbourne’s Central Business District gained traction online for its cramped space and dubbed as a ‘prison cell.’

To make it worse, it was for rent for $320 a week! Read more about this story here.

Key Takeaways

• A Perth landlord's strict list of conditions for a rental property has caused anger among potential tenants.
  • The room for rent had a list of strict rules including that the tenant cannot cook 'often', host parties, or have friends stay over.
  • Despite the outrageous conditions laid out, it was successfully rented out.
  • Perth currently has the lowest rental vacancy rate in the country, with just 0.4 per cent of its rental properties available.

What do you think of this story? Do you think this rental property’s rules are justified? Let us know in the comments below!
Absolutely ridiculous, he needs to be put into the same position

Reactions: Gsr
I can understand the no parties & no one staying over. After all, it is only a room for rent (& some time in the kitchen) not the whole house. However, to say there is a limit on cooking is outrageous. I guess the owner doesn't want the household to be too disturbed by the rent of the room.
I lived in Perth. Their renters rules are sooo stupid. Glad I am out of it

I certainly would not want to be in a position to have to rent out a room to a stranger.
The house owner may have a large mortgage on the house ?
Some of us have no choice at $835 a week rental..... I believe the are places to rent over $1,000 a week.

How sad it is that there are people who need to rent these types of places rather than be homeless. Shame on landlords for ripping people of like this.

Whilst living under anothers roof does usually impose some lifestyle restrictions, cooking of food shouldn't be one of them! It's bloody ridiculous. Life is stressful enough these days without imposing 'Lord of the Manor' nonsensical house rules.

Young ones prefer to eat take-out or even eat out at lunchtime an d have a snack for dinner. I can understand the no sleep over rule as I have heard very noisy couples which make life very interesting for families.

How sad it is that there are people who need to rent these types of places rather than be homeless. Shame on landlords for ripping people of like this.
As if they give a stuff.... the real estate agents are to blame as well because they charge a % of the rental, and they must be rolling in it.