This Kiwi's simple trick to distinguish the New Zealand accent from the Aussie will blow your mind!

Navigating the Nuances of the Kiwi and Aussie Accents: A Friendly Guide

The friendly banter between Australians and New Zealanders is a hallmark of the camaraderie shared by these close neighbours. From sports to slang, there's always a bit of 'healthy sibling rivalry' to keep the spirits high. But when it comes to distinguishing the accents of these two nations, even the most seasoned travellers can find themselves at sea. However, a Kiwi woman has recently sparked a lively debate by claiming there's a simple trick to tell the two apart.

According to her, the key lies in the perceived 'poshness' of the speaker. 'I just can't believe the international community can't tell the difference between a New Zealand and Australian accent because it's so obvious,' she stated in an online post. She suggests that if someone sounds 'posh,' they're likely from New Zealand. To illustrate her point, she pronounced words like 'prance', 'dance', and the name 'Lance', contrasting the Kiwi pronunciation with what she described as the Aussie's more drawn-out version.

compressed-pexels-lara-jameson-8828588.jpeg
A Kiwi pointed out several differences between the New Zealand and Australian accents in a video, to which some say it is unnoticeable. Image Credit: Pexels/Lara Jameson

This assertion has, unsurprisingly, divided opinions and reignited the age-old debate over the subtle and not-so-subtle distinctions between the accents. Some Kiwis have confessed to struggling to differentiate the accents themselves, especially when living in Australia. Others, however, claim they have foolproof methods for telling them apart, such as listening for the different pronunciations of 'E' and 'I' sounds – the classic 'pen' versus 'pin', 'ten' versus 'tin' conundrum.

The conversation has extended beyond mere pronunciation, with playful jabs about which accent reigns supreme. The Kiwi woman who started the debate maintains that a bit of 'healthy sibling rivalry' is all in good fun and helps maintain the dynamic relationship between the countries.

For our members here at the Seniors Discount Club, this might bring back memories of travels across the Tasman Sea or friendly jests with our neighbours. Accents can be a charming and endearing part of our identity, and they often serve as a source of pride and affectionate teasing.

But why stop at accents? The cultural exchange between Australia and New Zealand runs deep, with each country boasting unique expressions, idioms, and colloquialisms that can be both confusing and amusing to outsiders. For instance, the Kiwi 'chilly bin' becomes an 'esky' in Australia, and the delicious 'pavlova' dessert is claimed by both as a national treasure, despite ongoing disputes about its true origin.

So, whether you're a seasoned linguist or just curious about the quirks of Antipodean English, the next time you hear someone from across the ditch, pay close attention. Is it the crisp, clipped tones of a Kiwi, or the broad, relaxed drawl of an Aussie? And remember, whether you're ordering 'fush and chups' or 'fish and chips', the shared history and friendly rivalry between these two nations is something to be celebrated.
Key Takeaways

• A Kiwi woman has shared her views online about a simple way to distinguish between an Australian and New Zealand accent.
  • She believes New Zealanders sound 'posh' and that this distinction is obvious when comparing the pronunciation of certain words.
  • Opinions in the comments are divided, with some agreeing and others offering different techniques to notice the accent differences.
  • The debate has sparked a bit of 'healthy sibling rivalry' between Australians and New Zealanders concerning which accent is superior.
We'd love to hear your thoughts and experiences on this topic. Have you ever been mistaken for a Kiwi or Aussie based on your accent? Do you have any tips for distinguishing between the two? Share your stories in the comments below, and let's continue the conversation with the same good-natured spirit that defines the trans-Tasman relationship.

Sponsored
KIWIS and Aussies are pretty smart and can tell each other apart. But the Americans are easily confused. But then I have to listen carefully to determine a Canadian from an American.
Yanks are easy to confuse. Half the country has never heard of New Zil'nd. It is probably the English pronunciation of New that does it for the other half that may have heard; yanks quite often say Noo.

As for the Kiwi and Ozzie accents; as different as is Coon Cheese from a Wensleydale, a Caerphilly or a Double Gloucester .

Ja, they do...
We went to New Zealand a few years ago and did a coach tour. A lady who served in a shop even worked out which state we live. We asked her how she guessed it and she has a son who lives in the same state.
Also some things states use different names for food items. e.g. In SA Bung Fritz is called Devon instead.
A weed that we call/called Knot Weed is also called Nut Grass. (it has bulbs - dig down 6 feet in imperial measurement and you'll still find more - and roots)

I used to used to walk every where when I lived there.
I used to cycle everywhere when I lived there, hail, rain snow or shine......and walked a-plenty as well. But after a hard days yaccka doing whatever one did in ploughing one's feudal overlord's fields rented out to one, or digging up whatever one had to dig up, walking 5 miles after eating dinner and then 5 miles back along a muddy cart-track might seem a bit of an ask unless one's girlfriend was stunningly lovely.

Last edited:
I used to cycle everywhere when I lived there, hail, rain snow or shine......and walked a-plenty as well. But after a hard days yaccka doing whatever one did in ploughing one's feudal overlord's fields rented out to one, or digging up whatever one had to dig up, 5 miles after eating dinner and then 5 miles back might seem a bit of an ask unless one's girlfriend was stunningly lovely.
I never worked in the fields but did work on Canterbury Cathedral?

The old one or the new one built a long time ago? I understand from a-once-upon-a-time fellow dust-bin man that one can tell the difference between Gornal and Sedgely accents, but I couldn't. But then, I wasn't born a Brummie.
I can't remember but it was over 900 years old and we drove the holy men up the wall, there was talk about an exorcism?