This kitchen item could harm your health, according to a doctor–and you probably use it every day!

We like to think of ourselves as pretty practical people. When it comes to kitchenware, for example, we want to pick items that get the job done–and fast!

Non-stick cooking pans qualify as such, with their plentiful ergonomic features and convenient, easy-to-clean surfaces. Can you blame us for preferring them over heavy, complicated cast iron pans–especially those that take forever to get properly seasoned?

If you've ever found yourself grappling with making eggs in a stainless-steel pan or giving up on numerous failed crêpes, you're already familiar with the vital role that non-stick pans play in any kitchen.

Unfortunately, it turns out that as handy as non-stick pans may be, there is an important reason why we should stay away from them–one that could potentially harm our health.

Screen Shot 2023-09-01 at 3.01.49 PM.png
A doctor has warned that cooking with non-stick pans with scratches or chips can do more harm than good. Credit: Instagram/doctoranddancer.

Doctor and mum Poonam Desai recently took to social media to reveal the health hazards of using non-stick and aluminium-based ceramic pans.

'Scratched or chipped non-stick cooking pans can leech millions of microplastics into our food,' she said in a video she posted on her social media account.

'Microplastics are endocrine disruptors. They can cause hormone imbalances, fertility issues and even increase our risk of cancer.'

Ceramic pans are also a no-go in Desai's book. 'Ceramic pans usually have a layer of aluminium underneath, and it can leach into our foods,' she warned.

'If people have scratched non-stick or aluminium-based ceramic pans at home, they should throw them out,' she said.

The doctor's video, unsurprisingly, caused a bit of a stir online, scoring both praise and criticism from social media users.

One supporter thanked her for the useful advice, saying, 'I threw out all my pans long ago. Please watch [the doctor's video] and do the same! Cast iron for the win!'

Others weren't so thrilled, with one commenter calling the health warning 'classic fear mongering'.

'I'm so tired of seeing video after video that is basically telling everything I'm doing in my life is just killing me or causing cancer…' said one commenter, adding: 'This is so annoying.'

In October 2022, a team of Australian researchers identified millions of plastic particles that had been released from non-stick pots and pans that had been damaged.

Professor Youhong Tang from Flinders University led the study, emphasising the importance of understanding the potential risks posed by plastic waste during everyday cooking activities.

'It gives us a strong warning that we must be careful about selecting and using cooking utensils to avoid food contamination,' he said.

'More research is recommended to address the risk assessment of microplastics and nanoplastics.'

Key Takeaways

• Dr Poonam Desai said she refuses to cook with non-stick pans due to health concerns.
  • Scratched or chipped non-stick and ceramic cooking pans can leech microplastics or aluminium into food, potentially causing hormone imbalances, fertility issues and increased cancer risk.
  • The doctor advised those with scratched non-stick or aluminium-based ceramic pans at home to throw them out.
  • The doctor's advice has received a mixed reaction online, with some praising her advice and others accusing her of 'fear mongering'.

So, what's the truth? Should we just throw out our non-stick pans once they're chipped or scratched?

Unfortunately, the jury is still out. That said, erring on the side of caution is not unreasonable.

Although chipped or scratched non-stick pans might not pose immediate safety risks, it might be a good idea to avoid using them. After all, bits of the non-stick coating could end up in your food, which isn't appetising at all.

These scratches can also have an impact on the pan's non-stick performance. Over time, scratches, exposure to high heat, and regular usage gradually erode the smooth, non-stick layer on the pan's surface, making food more prone to sticking to the pan.

Depending on how often you cook with it and how well you care for it, a new non-stick pan might lose its effectiveness within just a year or two.

Unlike cookware crafted from materials like cast iron or stainless steel, non-stick pans aren't designed for long-term use. If your non-stick pan already has noticeable scratches, it's a sign that it's time to replace it.

We delved further into this topic and discussed other kitchenware in a previous article, so feel free to look.

We hope you found this article helpful, members! So, what do you think? Do you regularly use non-stick pans at home? Or do you prefer cast iron or stainless steel kitchenware? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
Bake salt into your cast-iron pan or staniless steel pan. It certainly assists thing not to stick. It can last a few months. Salt is cheap. It doesn't change the taste of the food.

We like to think of ourselves as pretty practical people. When it comes to kitchenware, for example, we want to pick items that get the job done–and fast!

Non-stick cooking pans qualify as such, with their plentiful ergonomic features and convenient, easy-to-clean surfaces. Can you blame us for preferring them over heavy, complicated cast iron pans–especially those that take forever to get properly seasoned?

If you've ever found yourself grappling with making eggs in a stainless-steel pan or giving up on numerous failed crêpes, you're already familiar with the vital role that non-stick pans play in any kitchen.

Unfortunately, it turns out that as handy as non-stick pans may be, there is an important reason why we should stay away from them–one that could potentially harm our health.

View attachment 28884
A doctor has warned that cooking with non-stick pans with scratches or chips can do more harm than good. Credit: Instagram/doctoranddancer.

Doctor and mum Poonam Desai recently took to social media to reveal the health hazards of using non-stick and aluminium-based ceramic pans.

'Scratched or chipped non-stick cooking pans can leech millions of microplastics into our food,' she said in a video she posted on her social media account.

'Microplastics are endocrine disruptors. They can cause hormone imbalances, fertility issues and even increase our risk of cancer.'

Ceramic pans are also a no-go in Desai's book. 'Ceramic pans usually have a layer of aluminium underneath, and it can leach into our foods,' she warned.

'If people have scratched non-stick or aluminium-based ceramic pans at home, they should throw them out,' she said.

The doctor's video, unsurprisingly, caused a bit of a stir online, scoring both praise and criticism from social media users.

One supporter thanked her for the useful advice, saying, 'I threw out all my pans long ago. Please watch [the doctor's video] and do the same! Cast iron for the win!'

Others weren't so thrilled, with one commenter calling the health warning 'classic fear mongering'.

'I'm so tired of seeing video after video that is basically telling everything I'm doing in my life is just killing me or causing cancer…' said one commenter, adding: 'This is so annoying.'

In October 2022, a team of Australian researchers identified millions of plastic particles that had been released from non-stick pots and pans that had been damaged.

Professor Youhong Tang from Flinders University led the study, emphasising the importance of understanding the potential risks posed by plastic waste during everyday cooking activities.

'It gives us a strong warning that we must be careful about selecting and using cooking utensils to avoid food contamination,' he said.

'More research is recommended to address the risk assessment of microplastics and nanoplastics.'

Key Takeaways

• Dr Poonam Desai said she refuses to cook with non-stick pans due to health concerns.
  • Scratched or chipped non-stick and ceramic cooking pans can leech microplastics or aluminium into food, potentially causing hormone imbalances, fertility issues and increased cancer risk.
  • The doctor advised those with scratched non-stick or aluminium-based ceramic pans at home to throw them out.
  • The doctor's advice has received a mixed reaction online, with some praising her advice and others accusing her of 'fear mongering'.

So, what's the truth? Should we just throw out our non-stick pans once they're chipped or scratched?

Unfortunately, the jury is still out. That said, erring on the side of caution is not unreasonable.

Although chipped or scratched non-stick pans might not pose immediate safety risks, it might be a good idea to avoid using them. After all, bits of the non-stick coating could end up in your food, which isn't appetising at all.

These scratches can also have an impact on the pan's non-stick performance. Over time, scratches, exposure to high heat, and regular usage gradually erode the smooth, non-stick layer on the pan's surface, making food more prone to sticking to the pan.

Depending on how often you cook with it and how well you care for it, a new non-stick pan might lose its effectiveness within just a year or two.

Unlike cookware crafted from materials like cast iron or stainless steel, non-stick pans aren't designed for long-term use. If your non-stick pan already has noticeable scratches, it's a sign that it's time to replace it.

We delved further into this topic and discussed other kitchenware in a previous article, so feel free to look.

We hope you found this article helpful, members! So, what do you think? Do you regularly use non-stick pans at home? Or do you prefer cast iron or stainless steel kitchenware? Let us know in the comments below!
don't eat, don't cook, don't drink and remember not to enjoy yourself at any time.

View attachment 28884

Key Takeaways

Food sticks to a non-stick pan pot time for the recycling ♻️ bin I have a collection stainless steel, steel, cast iron and non-stick pans if it sticks it's gone

A good 10 years + my brother warned me about the non-stick surfaces on cooking pans.
This is certainly not news - doctors have been warning us for years about using damaged non-stick pans. Aluminium has been linked to dementia/Alzheimer's for years also. Why take the risk?

I used to sell Bessemer cookware , and that went down hill years ago when this came put.
I have non-stick. Stainless steel and cast iron pans. As soon as it doesn't work anymore than out it goes. By what I mean not working , if it's too scratched or burnt but I have to say I look after my cookware , conditioner it ect

View attachment 28884

Key Takeaways

They should document their statements with verifieable medical statistics as to how many people have ACTUALLY contracted cancer from non-stick cookware. Show the proof, not the opinion. What is the woman a doctor of? Where did she earn her medical doctor credentials? Clayton's College? Is she a naturopath? There are far too many holes and unknowns in her statement.

Last edited:
Reactions: StephenA
This is certainly not news - doctors have been warning us for years about using damaged non-stick pans. Aluminium has been linked to dementia/Alzheimer's for years also. Why take the risk?
They have never been able to replicate the study that reported that there was aluminium residue in the brains of people with Alzheimers. According to my genuine GP. it turned out that the vessels used for that original study were contaminated with aluminium that then got transfered to the brain tissues studied.

Polyester is worse for micro plastics floating in the air we breath, probably pays not to breathe, eat anything cooked in a non stick pan or even eat a hamburger in a take away container or even drink the water which has been stored in plastic. Even living is a danger. Maybe we should all live in a bubble.

I love my stainless steel cookware. I have used non stick frypans, however they typically needed to be replaced . Stainless steel is sparkling clean, compared to non stick cookware. If anything is hard to clean, I use Essteele stainless steel and copper powder cleaner. The container lasts for years, as I don't need much.

Last edited:

View attachment 28884

Key Takeaways

I certainly do, and wo'n't be scrapping them any time soon.