This is the real reason why Coles shelves are suddenly empty

When we think of the early days of the pandemic, images of long supermarket queues and empty shelves may come to mind.

And just as we thought we put that memory behind us, one shopper was shocked to find a similar scene at their local supermarket recently.

An angry shopper visiting Coles North Rocks in New South Wales shared a disturbing scene reminiscent of the early days of the pandemic. In the footage shared to TikTok, the man filmed long stretches of racks across the dairy, meat, and fresh produce departments…

only to reveal barren aisles with pre-packed salads almost all gone, limited vegetables, low milk supplies, a single brand of eggs available, and fruit that looks well past its prime.

coles1.jpg
The shopper shared the scene with his viewers. Credit: abrakebabra_reviews/TikTok

‘We’ve got no more potatoes in this country,’ the customer complained as he revealed the scant number of available spuds, before suggesting the store is selling fruit that looks well past its prime.

‘Mangoes have been here for about 12 and a half years,’ he said incredulously.

The eerily empty shelves were not the result of late-night shopping as the man revealed that there were five hours left before the store would close for the day.

‘It's 3 o'clock and no more chicken,’ he says while pointing the camera to the poultry area.

He also goes on to film bare shelves in the dairy section before stating: ‘You can see that we have no more milk in this country.’

coles2.jpg
The upsetting sight was filmed late in the afternoon. Credit: abrakebabra_reviews/TikTok

Frustrated customers all flooded the comments section of the video, claiming that the problem is all over the country.

‘Same as over in WA where I live mate, bare shelves,’ one shared. Another added that it’s the same in Merrifield Coles in Melbourne.

While a third joked that the situation seemed to be ‘like the Hunger Games’.

Some suggested that the restocking team was probably on their way to refilling the shelves with supplies.

‘Remember when Coles/Woolies used to stock overnight? Now they stock starting at 3 pm and get in the way constantly,’ stated one.

Another shared: ‘They are a busy Coles! Fresh produce sells out quickly. The staff are probably in the dock taking delivery of new stock.’

While others blamed it on staff shortages.

‘Coles seriously can’t get staff! Or they only wanted to work until uni/school starts next week,’ one offered while another agreed that the store doesn’t have enough staff to refill the shelves.

Just recently, a Woolworths shopper also encountered the same problem when he saw that the store’s deli was closed ‘due to unforeseen circumstances’. A spokesperson for the store explained that the deli closes periodically because of ‘recent staff shortages’. You can find more details about this story here.

Another social media user said: ‘It’s been like that since before Christmas, no staff and bad management.’

While some attributed the scarcity of stock due to problems in the supply chain.

‘Mate, they’re understaffed and there are supply issues currently,’ one said.

‘Don’t you realise there’s been a weather crisis all over Australia, and egg contamination,’ someone declared.

You can find the shopper’s video below:

A spokesperson for Coles told reporters that this was an ‘isolated incident and not a reflection of greater supply issues’. They added that the store’s staff has been working to rectify the issues.

In December last year, Coles imposed a purchase limit for frozen potato chips – limiting shoppers to only two items per transaction. The limit comes as a response to the country’s potato supply shortage. More details about this story can be found here.

The spokesperson continued: ‘At Coles, we pride ourselves on providing an excellent experience and quality for all of our customers. The North Rocks store is aware of the recent fresh produce availability challenge and is working to ensure the shelves are full of fresh produce as soon as possible.’

‘We thank our customers for their understanding,’ they added.

So what causes food supply disruption?

Well, it can happen as a result of a range of issues, such as extreme weather conditions, an increase in demand for certain items, disruption in distribution due to logistical problems, and natural disasters.

We know that across Australia, we have seen excessive flooding lead to an increase in prices and supply shortages and loss of crops for farmers everywhere.
Key Takeaways

• A shopper has taken to social media to reveal a slew of empty shelves at a Coles supermarket in New South Wales.
  • The footage showed the aisles were barren and pre-packaged salads almost all gone, with limited vegetables, low milk supplies, and only a single brand of eggs available.
  • Frustrated customers flooded the comments section of the post, indicating this issue is not limited to the North Rocks store.
  • A spokesperson for Coles said this was an isolated incident and not a reflection of greater supply issues, with the store's staff working to rectify the problem.
What are your thoughts on the state of this Coles store? Is it okay for this to happen or is it unacceptable? Let us know in the comments!

Sponsored
I would say it’s due to poor management, I don’t only mean the store manager either. The people at HQ should take some of the blame as well for the condition of that store.

Reactions: Leanne D and Ricci
I have to agree.
Both of my local Coles stores have exactly the same issues.
Their produce quality is pretty poor.
The availability of items is hit or miss, and shelves are often bare.
Shoppers do understand the difficulties experienced with bad weather around Australia.
However, I haven't found the same problems in either Woolworths or Aldi in recent months.
Seems to be an issue of bad management more than anything.

When we think of the early days of the pandemic, images of long supermarket queues and empty shelves may come to mind.

And just as we thought we put that memory behind us, one shopper was shocked to find a similar scene at their local supermarket recently.

An angry shopper visiting Coles North Rocks in New South Wales shared a disturbing scene reminiscent of the early days of the pandemic. In the footage shared to TikTok, the man filmed long stretches of racks across the dairy, meat, and fresh produce departments…

only to reveal barren aisles with pre-packed salads almost all gone, limited vegetables, low milk supplies, a single brand of eggs available, and fruit that looks well past its prime.

View attachment 12449
The shopper shared the scene with his viewers. Credit: abrakebabra_reviews/TikTok

‘We’ve got no more potatoes in this country,’ the customer complained as he revealed the scant number of available spuds, before suggesting the store is selling fruit that looks well past its prime.

The eerily empty shelves were not the result of late-night shopping as the man revealed that there were five hours left before the store would close for the day.

‘It's 3 o'clock and no more chicken,’ he says while pointing the camera to the poultry area.

He also goes on to film bare shelves in the dairy section before stating: ‘You can see that we have no more milk in this country.’

View attachment 12450
The upsetting sight was filmed late in the afternoon. Credit: abrakebabra_reviews/TikTok

Frustrated customers all flooded the comments section of the video, claiming that the problem is all over the country.

‘Same as over in WA where I live mate, bare shelves,’ one shared. Another added that it’s the same in Merrifield Coles in Melbourne.

Some suggested that the restocking team was probably on their way to refilling the shelves with supplies.

‘Remember when Coles/Woolies used to stock overnight? Now they stock starting at 3 pm and get in the way constantly,’ stated one.

Another shared: ‘They are a busy Coles! Fresh produce sells out quickly. The staff are probably in the dock taking delivery of new stock.’

‘Coles seriously can’t get staff! Or they only wanted to work until uni/school starts next week,’ one offered while another agreed that the store doesn’t have enough staff to refill the shelves.

Just recently, a Woolworths shopper also encountered the same problem when he saw that the store’s deli was closed ‘due to unforeseen circumstances’. A spokesperson for the store explained that the deli closes periodically because of ‘recent staff shortages’. You can find more details about this story here.

Another social media user said: ‘It’s been like that since before Christmas, no staff and bad management.’

While some attributed the scarcity of stock due to problems in the supply chain.

‘Don’t you realise there’s been a weather crisis all over Australia, and egg contamination,’ someone declared.

A spokesperson for Coles told reporters that this was an ‘isolated incident and not a reflection of greater supply issues’. They added that the store’s staff has been working to rectify the issues.

In December last year, Coles imposed a purchase limit for frozen potato chips – limiting shoppers to only two items per transaction. The limit comes as a response to the country’s potato supply shortage. More details about this story can be found here.

The spokesperson continued: ‘At Coles, we pride ourselves on providing an excellent experience and quality for all of our customers. The North Rocks store is aware of the recent fresh produce availability challenge and is working to ensure the shelves are full of fresh produce as soon as possible.’

Well, it can happen as a result of a range of issues, such as extreme weather conditions, an increase in demand for certain items, disruption in distribution due to logistical problems, and natural disasters.

We know that across Australia, we have seen excessive flooding lead to an increase in prices and supply shortages and loss of crops for farmers everywhere.
Key Takeaways

• A shopper has taken to social media to reveal a slew of empty shelves at a Coles supermarket in New South Wales.
  • The footage showed the aisles were barren and pre-packaged salads almost all gone, with limited vegetables, low milk supplies, and only a single brand of eggs available.
  • Frustrated customers flooded the comments section of the post, indicating this issue is not limited to the North Rocks store.
  • A spokesperson for Coles said this was an isolated incident and not a reflection of greater supply issues, with the store's staff working to rectify the problem.
What are your thoughts on the state of this Coles store? Is it okay for this to happen or is it unacceptable? Let us know in the comments!

Cost cutting and staff shortages, that's all it is, they keep blaming the floods and covid and fuel sorry, all lies!. It is the Supermarkets fault and no-one elses.

I have to agree.
Shoppers do understand the difficulties experienced with bad weather around Australia.
However, I haven't found the same problems in either Woolworths or Aldi in recent months.
I find the same in FNQ, I go to Coles to shop can't get what I want the shelves are empty, I go to Wooliies there shelves are fully stocked and you can eat the food, you have to throw the fruit out from Coles after a couple of days.
Maybe someone from this newsletter could interview Coles and find out what they have to say about it.
The public is not very impressed with them.

"In December last year, Coles imposed a purchase limit for frozen potato chips – limiting shoppers to only two items per transaction. The limit comes as a response to the country’s potato supply shortage."

So, all of a sudden, we can't import a few Potatoes to keep up supply?? Most of Coles produce used to be imported once, Oranges from USA when oranges in Mildura were falling on the ground left to rot, same with apples Peanuts from Overseas, Peaches from overseas, now all of a sudden there is supposedly none in Australia(which I find hard to believe) yet we can't find any for a short term fix from overseas...c'mon Coles, stop telling fibs and do some looking after the Australian people besides your shareholders for a change.

I shop at Coles in Baldivis , and there have been supply issues ( empty shelves ) here since we moved here in October 2022 .Woolworths and Aldi shelves are not as empty ???

Reactions: Jennie and Phyll
I have to agree.
I totally agree. Coles were always my first choice for shopping but recently I find I’m choosing Woolies instead. Much more on the shelves and the fresh produce is of a higher quality

Coles like to congratulate themselves for looking after their customers.
Pretty soon they might not have any. Same goes for woollies in my book.🙁

View attachment 12449

View attachment 12450

Key Takeaways

Shelves aren't empty like that here in Tasmania

View attachment 12449

View attachment 12450

Key Takeaways

it's totally unacceptable, also whayt does coles say about available checkout people? & why should we have to use self serve checkouts aal the time?

View attachment 12449

View attachment 12450

Key Takeaways

I think our consumption of milk has increased due to the natural population growth and where once my family of 5 kids and mum and dad had just milk in our cereal and a soup spoon of milk in our coffee when old enough to drink it. There was no such thing as coffee shops anywhere.
Skip to 2022-23 Every cup of coffee served today isn't made with water, it's all full of straight milk. Besides that Aussies are consuming multiple cups each and every hour. I now drink at least 6-7 cups during my day and up to 9pm at night. I reach for coffee cup first before any other options.
Coffee shops have now become a main social meeting place and has shifted from past years where tea was first choice hence milk is literally in excessive quantity demand and mass economic closures of dairy farms have lead to short supply.