'This is not Australia': Sunrise presenter slams local council as they ban one key community member

Sometimes, simple yet thoughtful gestures from strangers can make one's day.

However, some people may take it the wrong way, which could cause misunderstanding.

In a passionate display of solidarity, a news presenter unleashed a fiery tirade on national television as she defended a local tradition.

In a recent Sunrise broadcast, host Natalie Barr expressed her disappointment toward a local council's decision to ban a man from greeting and giving school children high-fives.

The incident started after John Goulden, Mount Dandenong Primary School's crossing supervisor and endearingly called the lollipop man, found himself at the centre of controversy.

The Yarra Ranges Council reprimanded him for his friendly gesture of high-fiving children.

A parent sent out a complaint to the council regarding Goulden's behaviour, overlooking his four-year history of sharing high-fives with the kids he helped cross the street.

compressed-john goulden.jpeg
Natalie Barr expressed her disappointment over Yarra Ranges Council for banning Goulden from high-fiving school kids. Image Credits: Instagram/Natalie Barr, Facebook/Yarra Ranges Council

Barr's reaction to the council's decision was nothing short of explosive.

'It's totally ridiculous,' she exclaimed during the program.

'Yarra Ranges Council, you should be ashamed of yourself. Why does one person get to say what everyone does in the whole community?' she asked further.

'What has happened to Australia? This is not Australia. Absolutely ridiculous.'

Sunrise co-presenter Monique Wright echoed Barr's sentiment.

According to Wright, it only 'took one Karen to ruin everyone's fun'.

The story resonated with many Australians who saw Goulden's actions as a harmless and positive interaction with children.

Perth Lord Mayor Basil Zempilas also joined the conversation.

They stated that 99.9 per cent of Australians would commend Mr Goulden for 'doing what we want our seniors to do'.

He also praised Goulden for his contributions to the community and ensuring that kids feel safe.

Melbourne broadcaster Neil Mitchell also weighed in on the matter.

He suggested that the council should reconsider their stance, especially with the growing support for Goulden.

'I've had a look; there are 36 pages of instructions from VicRoads to the traffic supervisors,' Mitchell stated.

'They're not allowed to vape, they're not allowed to smoke, they're not allowed to read newspapers, they're not allowed a mobile phone, but there is nothing there about high fiving.'

The Yarra Ranges Council explained in a statement that the complainant did it over safety concerns.

'Council has reminded the contractor who is currently supervising children at the Mount Dandenong Primary School of expectations of the role regarding interactions with children,' the statement read.

However, parents and community members continue to rally behind Goulden.

Another parent, Rohan Bradley, started a petition to allow Goulden to continue his tradition of high-fiving students.

'I'm thrilled to get behind this and encourage people to speak up,' Bradley shared.

'The ban felt like an injustice to the community.'

Watch a related video to the incident here:

Source: 7News Australia/YouTube

As of writing, the petition already has over 1,200 signatures online, with additional support from students and school staff.

The community's response highlighted a broader conversation about community figures and their role in children's lives beyond the four walls of the school.
Key Takeaways

• Sunrise host Natalie Barr expressed her strong opposition to the Yarra Ranges Council's decision to ban a 'lollipop man' from high-fiving schoolchildren.
  • The crossing supervisor, John Goulden, was reprimanded after a single parent complained about him high-fiving students.
  • Parents, students, and school staff rallied behind Mr Goulden and gathered significant support from community members.
  • The Yarra Ranges Council cited student safety as the main reason for Mr Goulden's unreasonable ban.
What do you think of Mr Goulden's situation? Do you think the council's decision was an overreach, or are they right to enforce strict guidelines between children and community members? Share your thoughts and opinions with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
Please do not hold back Expose them as they really are a bunch of people with nothing better to do than spoil lives of everyone else .
A friend ended up in hospital with heart problems due to the harassment she received. It turns out the problem was actually a council problem and nothing to do with her property. Did she get an apology? Of course not. 🤨 That’s just one story

The Yarra Ranges Council are a joke! I’m so glad we moved from their area, I could tell many a story of their incompetence

I don't think you understand what "woke" means ... it is sad that so many deliberately misuse the word.
View attachment 56409
Pity they don't then,try to make the world a better place instead of trying to force their wacko ideas down everybody else's throats.

Who made them the experts??
This man is so wrong in what he is doing first this is the rule all over Australia he must stand in the middle of the crossing on his side him giving hi fives he can’t see what is coming behind him you never turn your back to the traffic do you ever see police with there back to traffic no believe me cars go through crossing.What would happen if a child ran behind him he wouldn’t see them as he is given hi fives.So sorry you must not touch a child so Natalie Barr is so wrong.jolly
Did you notice that you are the only person with this opinion.
This gentleman has been doing this for four years.
Nobody has been run over yet. Hypotheticals.

Pity they don't then,try to make the world a better place instead of trying to force their wacko ideas down everybody else's throats.

I understand he is only being doing this for four years he is being paid.I was a lollipop lady for 30 years I know the rules

Oh

In NSW when I was doing the crossing you where employed by the police department in Queensland I was employed by the government and paid all the time

I understand he is only being doing this for four years he is being paid.I was a lollipop lady for 30 years I know the rules
Did you find the rule that said
No High Fives . It's such a stringent rule nobody picked up on it for four years until some Karen with nothing better to do in her life and the council fun police got involved.
Utterly ridiculous.

Has this Karen forgotten that this man is keeping her child/children safe crossing the road.
If she doesn’t like it pick up your child and cross safely with them. You can tell your child why you do not like the gesture, and maybe teach them other safety measures

Most ridiculous thing I've ever read !
The world has gone mad 🤬
If the man passed his police check and was only outside on a crossing with the kids, I don't really understand the fuss. (maybe the parent thought it was distracting)
However, could this friendly interaction lead to a sense of familiarity in another situation with a stranger, who may offer a high five.
Are teachers allowed to high five the kids. :unsure:

Reactions: Kevin. A.
Did you find the rule that said
No High Fives . It's such a stringent rule nobody picked up on it for four years until some Karen with nothing better to do in her life and the council fun police got involved.
Utterly ridiculous.
Yes you are told you can’t touch a child you people may not like it he is getting paid I sent many people in to the office that was hurt as I was not allowed to leave my crossing.Of cause you want to give them a cuddle but you can’t safety is the most important thing when your on your crossing and seeing behind you .jolly

Reactions: Kevin. A.
Maybe Councilors need to look at how they are doing their own jobs and not how a retiree looks after children crossing the road.

Some Local Councils are getting just a little bit above themselves with some of the idiotic rules they're trying to enforce, obviously have no sense of humour or just think they're upper class than the ones who vote for them.