This is an SOS: 3G network shutdown threatens over 300,000 Aussies

As we embrace the rapid advancements in technology, we must be informed about changes that can impact our daily lives.

For those who rely on their mobile phones, there's an important update you need to be aware of—especially regarding critical services like emergency calls.

The shift from 3G to advanced network technologies like 4G and 5G enhanced data and internet speeds nationwide. However, this came with a significant caveat.

Approximately 370,000 Australians will be unable to make emergency calls after a proposed 3G network phase-out taking place later this year.

Telecommunications network Telstra initially set a deadline for their 3G shutdown on June 30.

However, the network extended its 3G services to August 31, giving people more time to update their devices.

compressed-emergency (2).jpeg
Emergency services are paramount for the community, as it ensures everyone's safety during unexpected events and calamities. Image Credit: Shutterstock/Paskaran.T

Optus followed suit with a September deadline, while Vodafone and TPG customers have been without 3G since December.

This transition was announced in 2019—however, not everyone is ready for the massive change.

'What we found out at the beginning of this year was that there were some devices that would be impacted by the change in this switchover,' Communications Minister Michelle Rowland stated.

'Some of those in particular are a subset of handsets. So, 4G handsets that use 4G for voice and data but are configured by the manufacturer to use 3G for calls to triple-0.'

In an article written earlier this year, Rowland had an estimate of 740,000 users who will be affected by the shutdown.

'It's considerably lowered, but it is still a great concern,' she added.

The problem is particularly tricky because you might not realise your device can't make emergency calls until you're in a situation where you need to.

The federal opposition also criticised the handling of this transition, with warnings about 4G phones and potential issues raised as early as last year.

'The fact there are still 370,000 4G devices in use that will not be able to make triple-0 calls when 3G is shut down is a shocking indictment on this Minister,' Shadow Communications Minister David Coleman said.

'Now, with the 3G network clock counting down to zero in the coming months, the minister is desperately trying to catch up, with hundreds of thousands of devices still at risk.'

If you or someone you know is using an older mobile phone, check if your device will be affected by the 3G network shutdown.

Here are some steps to ensure you're capable of making emergency calls:
  • Test your phone: Some providers may offer a way to test whether your phone can make calls over 4G or 5G networks.
  • Contact your provider: Reach out to your mobile service provider to find out if the 3G shutdown will impact your device.
  • Upgrade your device: If your phone will be affected, consider upgrading to a newer model compatible with 4G and 5G networks.
  • Have a backup plan: In an emergency, you may use a landline, have an emergency contact, or have a community service that can assist in emergencies.
  • Stay informed: For updates on the network changes, check announcements from your mobile service provider and the Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA).
Changing your go-to devices can be daunting, however, it's a necessary step when it comes to safety.

We encourage all our members to take action well before the 3G networks are switched off to avoid any risk of being unable to call for help when needed.
Key Takeaways

• Approximately 370,000 Australians may lose emergency call capabilities due to 3G network shutdowns.
  • Communications Minister Michelle Rowland confirmed some 4G handsets, configured to use 3G for emergency calls, may not work after the shutdown.
  • The network shutdown was initially slated for June but has been delayed by Telstra to August 31, with Optus following suit in September for a smoother transition.
  • The Shadow Communications Minister criticised handling the 3G shutdown, citing failure to address issues raised about 4G phones a year prior.
Have you checked your phone's compatibility with new network technologies? Do you have any concerns about the 3G shutdown? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below, and let's help each other stay connected and safe.

Sponsored
This is a worry,I was on 3G,then was tolled to change to 4G; Reading this article I will have to get in touch with Telstra to see if my 4G will be capable of 000 calls, more headaches from our telco's. ( NOT HAPPY JAN )

• Sad
Reactions: what
Ah, the miracles of modern technology! I remember when telephones were reliable and their use predictable in the days before whatever idiot politician decided to split telecommunications from the Australian postal service and launch us on the "information highway" run by private enterprise "providers." I think that was Paul Keating.

The landline is now operated through the computer modem, which will stop working if the power is cut. That's about as useful as having a long piece of string stretched tightly from my empty treacle tin to a treacle tin at the emergency services answering service. Problem is, I don't know where to obtain a couple of new Tate and Lyle Golden Syrup treacle tins as backup to my modem. And no, I don't need a damnable mobile phone.

2G. 3G, 4G, 5g and soon 6G. Who needs all this high-speed modernity? I suppose those companies that need to waste our money by selling us yet another gimcrack system that is very vulnerable to scammers and other natural hazards.

Oh yes; it is convenient to down-load one's favourite game application and walk across the road whilst wearing earphones and texting your friend. Sorry, I must be getting old as I can still remember how to use 2 treacle tins and a bit of string as a telephone; but a bit awkward when trying to chat whilst crossing the road.

this is a message I found from Telstra
What is the number for Telstra 3G check?
We are closing our 3G network on 31 August 2024. We have also developed an easy to use SMS tool to check if your phone needs an upgrade. If you text '3' to 3498, we'll text you back telling you if you need to take action.

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: what
This is a worry,I was on 3G,then was tolled to change to 4G; Reading this article I will have to get in touch with Telstra to see if my 4G will be capable of 000 calls, more headaches from our telco's. ( NOT HAPPY JAN )
I have a 4G phone but I have been advised by the Telstra Shop that it is not going to work when 3G closes and I will be needing to buy a new phone. got us by the nuts eh.

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: Cheezil and what
Ah, the miracles of modern technology! I remember when telephones were reliable and their use predictable in the days before whatever idiot politician decided to split telecommunications from the Australian postal service and launch us on the "information highway" run by private enterprise "providers." I think that was Paul Keating.

The landline is now operated through the computer modem, which will stop working if the power is cut. That's about as useful as having a long piece of string stretched tightly from my empty treacle tin to a treacle tin at the emergency services answering service. Problem is, I don't know where to obtain a couple of new Tate and Lyle Golden Syrup treacle tins as backup to my modem. And no, I don't need a damnable mobile phone.

2G. 3G, 4G, 5g and soon 6G. Who needs all this high-speed modernity? I suppose those companies that need to waste our money by selling us yet another gimcrack system that is very vulnerable to scammers and other natural hazards.

Oh yes; it is convenient to down-load one's favourite game application and walk across the road whilst wearing earphones and texting your friend. Sorry, I must be getting old as I can still remember how to use 2 treacle tins and a bit of string as a telephone; but a bit awkward when trying to chat whilst crossing the road.
Would that be the Black T&L treacle tin or the Golden Syrup tin?
Here, hope the pics bring back memories..

OR here

370,000 devices need to be upgraded How much is a 5Gmobile phone that does what your 4G phone does now? Lets say on average $300; 370 000x 3$00.

Why , a mere $111 000 000.

And scammers only steal $20 000 at a time, if we have that much in our bank account?

Reactions: Cheezil
I have a 4G phone but I have been advised by the Telstra Shop that it is not going to work when 3G closes and I will be needing to buy a new phone. got us by the nuts eh.
I've got a 4GX Telstra Phone but although I am in the metro area the signal doesn't seem to be very reliable.