This 'interesting' Vegemite discovery at Coles causes stir among shoppers

When it comes to Vegemite, Australians have a relationship that can only be described as iconic.

This salty, yeasty spread has been a staple in Aussie pantries for generations, and it's not uncommon to see it pop up in some unexpected food pairings.

But the latest collaboration might just be the most 'interesting' yet, and it's causing quite a stir among Aussies.

Coles supermarkets have introduced a new twist on a classic snack: Maggi 2 Minute Noodles Vegemite ($4).

This unique combination has sparked a lively debate among shoppers, with some eager to try the new fusion and others remaining sceptical.

Screenshot 2024-05-21 at 7.25.55 AM.png
Maggi and Coles launched their latest snack collaboration. Credit: Coles

One Coles customer took to social media to share their ‘interesting find’.

‘Maggi with Vegemite? Curious to see if others have tried it and whether it’s good?’ they asked.

They speculated that the taste might resemble 'thickened soy sauce' on noodles, which piqued the curiosity of many.

Responses to the new product have been mixed.

Some Aussies are excited about combining two comfort foods into one, with comments like 'Awesome, will snag some of these tonight,' and 'want them right now' popping up on social media.

However, not everyone is convinced. Those who have tried the noodles have reported that they were 'really lacking in flavour' and didn't live up to the Vegemite name.

‘I thought they’d be good. I wanted them to be good, but honestly, they weren’t,’ one said.

‘Tried these. Too mild. Added another spoon of the good stuff to get a better flavour,’ another suggested.

Others are calling for the return of beloved classic flavours, like chicken and corn.

Even food reviewer Russell Stewart, known as Russ Eats, weighed in with a review, giving the Vegemite noodles a six out of 10.

‘Okay, the flavour combo works—the Vegemite with the noodles has surprised me, but I like super intense, deep Vegemite, and it’s just not salty or Vege-mighty enough…but if I double-sachet that, it would probably be pretty good,’ he said.

Nestle, the company behind Maggi, suggested on its website that the Vegemite noodles are 'best enjoyed with a little butter and grated cheese or as a meal base with added protein and vegetables’.

The Vegemite noodles are exclusive to Coles stores but will be rolled out to other retailers in mid-June.

Vegemite has been teaming up with several food brands so Aussies can level up their snacking game.

Vegemite also partnered with ABE’S Bagels to launch the Vegemite Cheese Bagels. The limited-edition product hit the Coles shelves in January, offering a pre-made, ready-to-eat version of the beloved Aussie combo.

You can watch Russ Eats’ food review of the Maggi 2-Minute Noodles Vegemite below:

Credit: @russ.eats / TikTok

Key Takeaways
  • Maggi has collaborated with Vegemite to produce a new flavour of their 2-minute Noodles, sparking divided opinions among Australian consumers.
  • A Coles shopper shared their curiosity about the new product on Reddit, questioning whether the Vegemite noodles taste good.
  • Responses ranged from excitement to scepticism, with some critical of the flavour intensity and food reviewer Russell Stewart giving the noodles a moderate review.
  • The Vegemite noodles are being launched exclusively at Coles in May, with plans to extend to other retailers from mid-June, and Nestlé suggested adding butter, cheese, or other ingredients for an enhanced dish.
What's your take on this 'interesting' Vegemite find at Coles? Are you keen to give these noodles a try, or do you prefer your Vegemite in more traditional ways? Share your thoughts and experiences with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
Nah. Unless they are using real Vegemite (info required please), then it will just be chemicals. Doesn’t interest me at all.

Reactions: IJH
What horrible stuff Vegemite surely is it seems Aussies are obsessed with salt and pepper in the food soon add to taste for me ,wish i didnt have to use any but as there is no taste in food today what choice obviously it my personal choice bit like the water loaded with chlorine

• Haha
Reactions: NotNats
I buy Maggi Beef Noodles in large packs weekly and use Vegemite to flavor. I also do the same with Keens Curry Powder and Vegetable stock powder. It's much cheaper and nicer as these are staples in my cupboard. Of course not all together - different flavors for each winter lunch.