Status
Not open for further replies.

This infamous recalled K-mart Christmas bag spotted online again

How far down this stupid path is the world going to go? The word "merry" contains the letters m and e, which obviouly means that, if I buy one of these bags and flaunt it around while I'm out and about, I'm showing I care about no other person in the universe but "me" and everybody else can go and get well and trulied.

Sponsored
Content Warning: This article briefly discusses sensitive subjects such as war, military occupation, and genocide in Gaza, which may be triggering for some. Reader discretion is advised. Please practice kindness in the comment section.

Businesses are starting to reveal the products they have on offer for the upcoming festive season.

Kmart, like many businesses out there, has done the same thing—but with an unexpected outcome. As we have previously written about, one of its items, a tote bag, sparked controversy and was recalled last week.

But it seems the bag has resurfaced in an online marketplace.

Kmart recently released a controversial ‘Merry Ham-mas’ tote bag, which received backlash from Jewish lobby groups.

The bag’s statement was criticised as it was close to the name of the terrorist group Hamas.

View attachment 34901
The controversial Kmart tote bag was recalled. Credit: @AustralianJA / X (formerly Twitter)

In our previous article, we reported that the Australian Jewish Association (AJA) slammed the bag on social media and said, ‘Although this is potentially funny (the AJA committee has tossed around some non-PC jokes), it's really not a good look.’

Kmart owner Wesfarmers immediately removed the ‘Ham-mas’ bags and apologised for the product ‘unreservedly’.

This slip-up also became a punchline for American late-night TV host John Oliver.

'It feels like ham-mas starts a little earlier every year, doesn’t it?' he joked.

‘Things are, understandably, very tense right now, and it seems like everyone is finding themselves making mistakes.'

This news comes after tensions rose in Australia over the ongoing conflict between Israeli and Gaza. A clash between pro-Israeli and pro-Palestine groups sparked in Melbourne after a burger store was burned.

However, weeks after the bag was recalled from shelves, the ‘Ham-mas’ tote bag reappeared online, being sold for about $19 (after a 20 per cent discount) by an artist and designer on a popular online platform for small-scale designers and resellers, Redbubble.

View attachment 34902
The recalled tote bag reappeared on the online platform Redbubble. Credit: Redbubble

The product description said, ‘You’re probably going to want to check out the cheeky redesign,’ with a winking face emoji.

The bag was promoted by its designer and seller, OEV Designs, who joined Redbubble in March 2023.

Key Takeaways

• A controversial Kmart Christmas bag that sparked backlash due to its 'Merry Ham-mas' slogan has resurfaced online.
  • The bag had been pulled from Kmart shelves after criticism from Jewish lobby groups, who felt the name was too close to the terrorist group Hamas.
  • Despite Kmart owner Wesfarmers removing the product and apologising, the bag has reappeared on the online clothing and art platform Redbubble.
  • Tensions have been escalating in Australia due to an ongoing military campaign by the Israeli army in Hamas-controlled Gaza, leading to clashes between pro-Israeli and pro-Palestinian groups in Melbourne.

Everyone is going through difficult times right now, and we hope that the tension between the two states will ease soon.
Religion's that don't eat ham well that's your choice, belief a storm in a tea cup episode politically correct nutters on the loose as I say Australia is a multicultural society don't bring your carry-on to this country don't like it move back to where you came you are here for a better life don't try and change the status quo here

Religion's that don't eat ham well that's your choice, belief a storm in a tea cup episode politically correct nutters on the loose as I say Australia is a multicultural society don't bring your carry-on to this country don't like it move back to where you came you are here for a better life don't try and change the status quo here
Well said

I agree with what you said Shane, but I think you misinterpreted the crux of the problem. It's not the Islamic community that is offended, on the contrary, it's the community against Hamas that sees it as a pro-Hamas statement.
Personally, t's quite ambiguous to me too,.... I see it as a bit of both,

I agree with what you said Shane, but I think you misinterpreted the crux of the problem. It's not the Islamic community that is offended, on the contrary, it's the community against Hamas that sees it as a pro-Hamas statement.
It's quite ambiguous to me personally.... I see it as a bit of both,
I think he is saying in general, whoever isn't happy here then you can always go back to your original country

I am one of those "outraged minority" and this is disgusting. How would you feel if one of your family was being held hostage by Hamas or slaughtered in the most brutal way on 7th October
I would certainly be distressed, however not sure that would extend to every little thing that has nothing to do with the situation.

Reactions: Kayer02 and magpie1
From my point of view it looks like a celebration of Hamas and my daughter-in-law who is catholic also found it offensive
Yeah, I get that and am sincerely sorry for the distress it is causing. I probably would not have made a connection. Recently, with Halloween here and the locals who participated caused an upset for people, such as yourself, who are suffering distress from the conflict and were objecting to the gruesome outfits and sentiment. I could empathise but subjective I guess.

Reactions: magpie1 and mOiOz
Looks offensive in the current situation. And I sympathise with all who are suffering in this conflict and with their families who may be overseas and far from the conflict area. My thoughts and my heart go out to all of you every time I see these scenes on TV. I hope those little premmy babies get the help they need and that they get it sooner rather than later. May your God and mine be with you all.

What happened to the simple old bag - the Ham Bag? I'm sure those whose religion forbade the eating of pork in all its forms did not complain that there was (and still is somewhere out there) a bag that says "Ham Bag". Sensitivity is one thing but applying that to every little thing that happens, or is said, is now becoming silly and ridiculous.

I am one of those "outraged minority" and this is disgusting. How would you feel if one of your family was being held hostage by Hamas or slaughtered in the most brutal way on 7th October
The "fight" over the Holy Land has been going on for a very long time! A lot of slaughtering from both sides over the many years - I am of those 'outraged majority'.

Reactions: mOiOz
Small leg of Pork, Roast chook, Baked Potatoes, Carrots and Pumpkin, Boiled Peas, and Gravy made with pan juices, and Apple sauce.....Dear God, thank you for the meal we are about to eat..... Merry Christmas Everyone. 🎄

Reactions: Kayer02 and Knell
Status
Not open for further replies.

Seniors Discount Club

The SDC searches for the best deals, discounts, and bargains for Aussies over 60. From everyday expenses like groceries and eating out, to electronics, fashion and travel, the club is all about helping you make your money go further.
  1. New members
  2. Jokes & fun
  3. Photography
  4. Nostalgia / Yesterday's Australia
  5. Food and Lifestyle
  6. Money Saving Hacks
  7. Offtopic / Everything else

Latest Articles

• We believe that retirement should be a time to relax and enjoy life, not worry about money. That's why we're here to help our members make the most of their retirement years. If you're over 60 and looking for ways to save money, connect with others, and have a laugh, we’d love to have you aboard.
  • Advertise with us

User Menu

Enjoyed Reading our Story?

• Share this forum to your loved ones.
Change Weather Postcode×
Change Petrol Postcode×