This horrifying find in a Woolworths chicken packet will make you check twice: ‘That is gross looking’

Grocery shopping in person means you can inspect the items before purchase and select the freshest ones available.

However, even with this hands-on approach, it's possible to overlook details or miss out on better options. How can shoppers ensure they're making the best selections?

In a related case, a Woolworths shopper in Kyneton, Victoria, was dismayed when she discovered an unpleasant sight while preparing her store-bought chicken for cooking.

The chicken appeared to host green-beige stalks within, prompting her to discard the entire batch of meat.

‘What the hell, Woolworths? Not a cyst in the bloody meat. Threw the lot out 1.5 kilograms,’ she posted online, attaching an image to her post.

Woolworths-Chicken.png

The Woolworths shopper expressed her disappointment with the discovery of her purchased chicken. Image source: Instagram and Facebook

She urged fellow shoppers to always check the meat they buy from supermarkets, highlighting that the problematic chicken breast was hidden by other pieces in the packaging.

‘Always look at your chicken or meat, [this was the] last piece of the pack. Lucky for me, I was going to cook the lot. God help me if I had cooked half and froze the rest,’ she added.

Following the shopper’s online warning, some Aussies replied, using terms such as ‘disgusting’ and ‘revolting’ to characterise the chicken.

‘That’s foul, never eating chicken again,’ one said, while another added, ‘That is gross looking.’

bb2290a0-73ba-11ee-bf35-f14915fec112.png

Coles shoppers in Brisbane and Melbourne have observed green streaks in their chicken. Image source: Facebook

The change in colour of the meat occurs due to Deep Pectoral Myopathy, a condition triggered by swelling caused by a lack of oxygen in the muscle.

In simpler terms, the discolouration results from the muscle experiencing oxygen deficiency, leading to swelling.

‘It’s not off, the muscle has died, and the bruising of a chicken's muscle when it dies turns green. I know it looks really gross, but it definitely isn’t off,’ a shopper explained online.

There have been multiple instances of Australian shoppers discovering green streaks in their chicken.

However, both Woolworths and Coles have declared that meat affected by the disease is safe for consumption.

‘We take food safety and quality seriously and are aware of the customer’s report,’ a Woolworths spokesperson said.

‘If ever our customers have any concerns about the quality of the product they receive, we encourage them to return it to their local store or contact our Customer Hub for a refund or replacement.’

For assistance with your Woolworths online order or shopping experience, contact Woolworths at 1800 000 610 during the following hours: Monday to Friday from 5 a.m. to 12 a.m. (AEDT), Saturday from 5 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. (AEDT), and Sunday from 5 a.m. to 10 a.m. (AEDT).

Key Takeaways

• A Woolworths shopper from Kyneton, Victoria, was shocked to find green-tinged stalks growing from her store-bought chicken.
  • She warned others on social media to thoroughly check their meat before eating, as the affected chicken breast was hidden in the pack.
  • The unusual discolouration of the meat is caused by a condition called Deep Pectoral Myopathy, resulting from oxygen deficiency in the muscle.
  • Both Woolworths and Coles maintain that meat affected by this condition is safe to eat, with a Woolworths spokesperson urging any concerned shoppers to return the item or contact their Customer Hub for a refund or replacement.
Members, have you encountered a similar situation with your grocery store chicken? Have you consumed it, and if so, did you experience any issues?

Share your experiences in the comments below!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
Grocery shopping in person means you can inspect the items before purchase and select the freshest ones available.

However, even with this hands-on approach, it's possible to overlook details or miss out on better options. How can shoppers ensure they're making the best selections?

In a related case, a Woolworths shopper in Kyneton, Victoria, was dismayed when she discovered an unpleasant sight while preparing her store-bought chicken for cooking.

The chicken appeared to host green-beige stalks within, prompting her to discard the entire batch of meat.

‘What the hell Woolworths? Not a cyst in the bloody meat. threw the lot out 1.5 kilograms,’ she posted online, attaching an image to her post.

The Woolworths shopper expressed her disappointment with the discovery of her purchased chicken. Image source: Instagram and Facebook

She urged fellow shoppers to always check the meat they buy from supermarkets, highlighting that the problematic chicken breast was hidden by other pieces in the packaging.

‘Always look at your chicken or meat, [this was the] last piece of the pack. Lucky for me I was going to cook the lot. God help me if I had cooked half and froze the rest,’ she added.

Following the shopper’s online warning, some Aussies replied, using terms such as ‘disgusting’ and ‘revolting’ to characterise the chicken.

‘That’s foul, never eating chicken again,’ one said, while another added, ‘That is gross looking.’

View attachment 33419

Coles shoppers in Brisbane and Melbourne have observed green streaks in their chicken. Image source: Facebook

The change in colour of the meat occurs due to Deep Pectoral Myopathy, a condition triggered by swelling caused by a lack of oxygen in the muscle.

In simpler terms, the discolouration results from the muscle experiencing oxygen deficiency, leading to swelling.

‘It’s not off, the muscle has died, and the bruising of a chicken's muscle when it dies turns green. I know it looks really gross, but it definitely isn’t off,’ a shopper explained online.

There have been multiple instances of Australian shoppers discovering green streaks in their chicken.

However, both Woolworths and Coles have declared that meat affected by the disease is safe for consumption.

‘We take food safety and quality seriously and are aware of the customer’s report,’ a Woolworths spokesperson said.

‘If ever our customers have any concerns about the quality of the product they receive, we encourage them to return it to their local store or contact our Customer Hub for a refund or replacement.’

For assistance with your Woolworths online order or shopping experience, contact Woolworths at 1800 000 610 during the following hours: Monday to Friday from 5 a.m. to 12 a.m. (AEDT), Saturday from 5 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. (AEDT), and Sunday from 5 a.m. to 10 a.m. (AEDT).

Key Takeaways

• A Woolworths shopper from Kyneton, Victoria, was shocked to find green-tinged stalks growing from her store-bought chicken.
  • She warned others on social media to thoroughly check their meat before eating, as the affected chicken breast was hidden in the pack.
  • The unusual discolouration of the meat is caused by a condition called Deep Pectoral Myopathy, resulting from oxygen deficiency in the muscle.
  • Both Woolworths and Coles maintain that meat affected by this condition is safe to eat, with a Woolworths spokesperson urging any concerned shoppers to return the item or contact their Customer Hub for a refund or replacement.
Members, have you encountered a similar situation with your grocery store chicken? Have you consumed it, and if so, did you experience any issues?

Omg thats🤮disgusting😮

Last edited:
Reactions: janj

‘What the hell, Woolworths? Not a cyst in the bloody meat. Threw the lot out 1.5 kilograms,’ she posted online, attaching an image to her post.

‘Always look at your chicken or meat, [this was the] last piece of the pack. Lucky for me, I was going to cook the lot. God help me if I had cooked half and froze the rest,’ she added.

View attachment 33419

Key Takeaways

I have stopped buying any types of chicken it is not safe to eat. Some chickens are slaughtered at just 2 weeks old. I have seen a documentary on chickens and they know when they will be slaughtered and they have so much fear some of them die anyway and they still use these to sell to you. So stop buying any type of food with chicken in it. Also when buying takeaway chicken you never know what you are going to get.

View attachment 33419

Key Takeaways

Why cook chook at home when you can buy it already cooked. less clean up, less power used and can even add to other meals to make something else. Oh and no hassle worrying over if it is cooked properly.

Why cook chook at home when you can buy it already cooked. less clean up, less power used and can even add to other meals to make something else. Oh and no hassle worrying over if it is cooked properly.
That's fine if you only want the chook for yourself, because the size of supermarket cooked chooks are getting so small that it will only have enough meat on it to feed one person. I would rather buy a fresh chook and roast it in the oven with a load of spuds and pumpkin, and a saucepan of peas and some gravy made with the oven juices, and to hell with the clean up..it doesn't take that long. I've done this for years and the chook is always cooked right, it's not really hard to achieve. 😘

Reactions: Littleboy8
That's fine if you only want the chook for yourself, because the size of supermarket cooked chooks are getting so small that it will only have enough meat on it to feed one person. I would rather buy a fresh chook and roast it in the oven with a load of spuds and pumpkin, and a saucepan of peas and some gravy made with the oven juices, and to hell with the clean up..it doesn't take that long. I've done this for years and the chook is always cooked right, it's not really hard to achieve. 😘
Totally agree with you😋😋

oops.....forgot the Roast Carrots.

Reactions: Littleboy8