This 'hidden' secret behind one ute is driving motorists wild. What could it be?

As Australian roads bustle with the usual traffic, authorities are now finding ways to catch drivers who break the law.

A seemingly innocuous ute has been turning heads and sparking debate among drivers.

An Isuzu ute has been recently spotted on a busy motorway, and it was not carrying tools or worksite equipment.

It, however, carried something on its closed tray: speed detection equipment.

The 'hidden' equipment ignited a fiery discussion among motorists, as some accused the police of using the unmarked vehicle for 'revenue raising'.

Other motorists took a different stance and argued that the presence of such equipment is a straightforward deterrent.

compressed-isuzu.jpeg
Motorists spotted an Isuzu ute decked out with speed detection equipment, which raised concerns. Image Credit: Facebook

'If you don't speed, they won't get your money,' one argued.

A SAPOL spokesperson confirmed that their speed camera arsenal now included different vehicles.

'Since the retirement of the Holden brand in Australia, SAPOL's fleet now includes a variety of makes and models, which undergo testing to ensure they are suitable for use within SA,' the spokesperson shared.

'SAPOL employed a number of methods to monitor speed and driver behaviour on our roads, including overt and covert mobile speed cameras.'

Over a thousand motorists shared their opinions about the SAPOL's actions.

Some advocated for unmarked speed detection.

'If you're doing the right speed, there's no need to look out for them,' one commented.

'Don't do the wrong thing, and you won't be given a fine. It's as simple as that,' another echoed the sentiment.

However, some individuals expressed their frustration over the number of fines issued through roadside cameras.

'This is not about prevention but rather revenue! Otherwise, they would use branded vehicles,' a disgruntled driver remarked.

Another suggested that funds could be allocated to educating new drivers on road rules rather than revenue-raising tactics.

Despite the mixed reactions, SAPOL maintained its transparency by publishing the locations of its mobile speed cameras on its website.

This would let drivers know where the detection cameras are stationed throughout the day.

The fines for those caught by a camera range between $202 for driving less than 10km/h over the speed limit, to a hefty $1900 for exceeding the limit by 45km/h or more.

This 'hidden' detail in the back of the ute could be a reminder to all drivers about the importance of adhering to road rules.

It also raised questions about the balance between enforcement and education and the best methods to ensure road safety.
Key Takeaways

• An Isuzu ute on a South Australian motorway has been identified as having mobile speed detection equipment.
  • SA Police confirmed that since the retirement of Holdens, their fleet has started including various vehicles equipped with speed cameras.
  • The tactic of unmarked speed detection vehicles sparked debate among motorists, as some saw it as a revenue-raising strategy.
  • SA Police started publishing the locations of their mobile speed cameras online, and fines for speeding depend on the level of the speed breach.
What's your take on this approach to speed monitoring? Is it a fair tactic in the name of safety, or do you think otherwise? Share your thoughts and experiences with us in the comments section below.

Sponsored
The best comment in the article is:

“….funds could be allocated to educating new drivers on road rules rather than revenue-raising tactics.“

I would add, not just new drivers. The are so many drivers on the road of all ages who either don’t or won’t display correct driving.

Reactions: Veggiepatch
Yes, so many drivers exceed the posted limit.

When I'm on the 8 kilometre stretch of the M1 at Currumbin (the roadworks) the speed there has been 80kmph and 60 kmph for years. But countless drivers pass me like I'm standing still.

On other parts (of the M1), idiot speedsters approach from behind at 110+kmph and swerve/lane change right behind me.

They often force me to speed up to avoid the ratbags hitting me. And no I'm not driving too slowly, I constantly check the speedo and drive according to the signed limit.

That's why drivers should undergo a driving test (both theory and practical) every 5 years.

When the SoBs fail the test, they'll realise that driving is an earned privilege and not a right.
I agree that everyone not just older drivers should have to take a driving test but but this will not change their attitude, you can not educate idiots.

Reactions: SandyM and Greg350
If you want to be an idiot on the roads, then you deserve being fined. There's no excuse to go over the speed limit. It's better to arrive late than dead.

Reactions: Greg350
Yes, so many drivers exceed the posted limit.

When I'm on the 8 kilometre stretch of the M1 at Currumbin (the roadworks) the speed there has been 80kmph and 60 kmph for years. But countless drivers pass me like I'm standing still.

On other parts (of the M1), idiot speedsters approach from behind at 110+kmph and swerve/lane change right behind me.

They often force me to speed up to avoid the ratbags hitting me. And no I'm not driving too slowly, I constantly check the speedo and drive according to the signed limit.

That's why drivers should undergo a driving test (both theory and practical) every 5 years.

When the SoBs fail the test, they'll realise that driving is an earned privilege and not a right.
Love Currumbin.ls the hospital down the hill still there?

• Angry
Reactions: Mikeyboy2012
So it's wonderful that all the do gooders say "don't speed". They are generally the ones who state they have NEVER done a thing wrong in their lives! Show me such a person and I will show you the tooth fairy.

There are a number of factors which contribute to an erroneous speedometer reading. The one which is overlooked is the fitting of aftermarket wheels and tyres to a vehicle. Change the profile of a tyre and you change the circumference of the tyre. That changes to distance travelled per revolution of the tyre.

Even the brand of tyre makes a difference. This was evident when I changed from Dunlop to Pirelli on my Kawasaki GPZ750R1. Same reported profile tyres but the ground clearance was different with footpeg scraping more common with the Dunlop. Then I compared to tachometer reading to the speedometer. There was a difference of 4 kmh between the brands at 3000 rpm.

Then there is the question of having your speedometer checked as a part of a regular service. How many mechanics would have a dynamometer in their workshop? A quick look has 44 mechanics with dynamometers serving the whole of NSW!

Reactions: DLHM and NotNats
I agree with the comment...

'If you don't speed, they won't get your money,'

It shouldn't amaze me, because I've heard this so many times in person and on-line, how people who break the law blame the law

We see this so often in society. Perpetrators, criminals etc blame others for their lot. It can be the authorities, their partner, family, upbringing or whatever. Even drugs and alcohol.

Time to take responsibilty for your own actions.

• Love
Reactions: SandyM and NotNats
Plan & simple there is NO such thing as "Revenue Rasing". If humans obeyed the rules in the country they are in, then no laws would be broken. But being human we can't help but break rules because we ALL at times think we are entitled to do so.
So, unless your prepared to pay the fine or do the time, DON"T break the rules.

Simple fix.

Remember, it's your responsibility to KNOW the rules, no matter what they are (road, work, life, eta).

And before you ask, Yes, I have broken rules in my lifetime. But unlike most I don't whinge about it, I just pay the fine or punishment.

Love Currumbin.ls the hospital down the hill still there?
I know the feeling. Trucks can be the worse. They used to have speed cameras there. I once reported it to police who stopped at a service station. Their response? Sorry, not my area.

Great!

Speedo's are out by as much as 14kph and the cops allow 2kph. If that's not revenue rasing, then waht do you call it. Radars have made no difference to the road toll but inaccurate speedo's has made it worse. Going too slow is just as bad as going to fast.
Ìf your speedo is out and you know it is adjust your speed or be responsible and get it fixed. It is the responsibility of drivers to keep their cars safe but instead of paying to have them fixed they are start screaming revenue raising.

I will say it again. As stated in the main menu page of the Revenue NSW:-

We manage taxes, fines, debts, and administer grants. Through this we give back to the community and help fund the future of NSW.

If that is not a admission of Revenue NSW stating that the authority is a revenue raising service, I don't know what is.

Reactions: DLHM
Inaccurate speedo's have nothing to do with it. People speed because they can and the majority of the time they get away with it. When they get caught they complain like hell and blame the cops. It's their own fault and if they weren't speeding they wouldn't be fined - it's as simple as that. Do the right thing and they won't need these vehicles.
As proven that people slow down when they
Know there is a camera and speed up after. Amazing when there is a police car in our midst everyone seems to have a correct speedo. There is a reason Waze is popular.

Inaccurate speedo's have nothing to do with it. People speed because they can and the majority of the time they get away with it. When they get caught they complain like hell and blame the cops. It's their own fault and if they weren't speeding they wouldn't be fined - it's as simple as that. Do the right thing and they won't need these vehicles.
Perhaps there is an a valid reason that once there was a (10) Ten KPH allowance because of the inaccuracy of speedometers, but this was dropped before the full potential and use of electronic gauges, although now you will still get engine creep (which has nothing to do with the nut holding the wheel) while using cruise control?

Sometimes inadvertently you can slip over the speed limit, watching potholes,signs change every 100 metres and other idiot drivers on the road, revenue raising grubs. Government works for us , ffs we pay tax on wages,everything we buy, everything we sell how much more can they screw out of us, especially when politicians don't answer for their crimes, or police for that matter, I'll use Dan Andrews as an example.

Said it before many times and I'll say it again....don't speed and you've nothing to worry about. I can't believe some people still want speed camera locations publicised....sort of defeats the purpose doesn't it. The speeders will just slow down in that area, then speed up later...and possibly kill someone.
It's not revenue raising people.

Said it before many times and I'll say it again....don't speed and you've nothing to worry about. I can't believe some people still want speed camera locations publicised....sort of defeats the purpose doesn't it. The speeders will just slow down in that area, then speed up later...and possibly kill someone.
It's not revenue raising people.
🙄

Apparently incorrect size wheels and tyres can alter the speed you think you are driving. If you think your speedo is out more than 3 kph out you should get it checked. The Police have been using unmarked cars for at least 15 years. A lot of the cars have extra aerials on them.

Speedo's are out by as much as 14kph and the cops allow 2kph. If that's not revenue rasing, then waht do you call it. Radars have made no difference to the road toll but inaccurate speedo's has made it worse. Going too slow is just as bad as going to fast.
Speeds must read higher or equal since 2006.

And that is the problem. Some people have accurate speedos and others are out by up to 14 kph. We now have millions of people driving at what they think is the right speed but in fact they are driving at different speeds because speedo's don't work. Road tolls have increased by thousands since this stupid rule was introduced. It has to change.
BS, road tolls have decreased since 2006, you are making up rubbish.

So it's wonderful that all the do gooders say "don't speed". They are generally the ones who state they have NEVER done a thing wrong in their lives! Show me such a person and I will show you the tooth fairy.

There are a number of factors which contribute to an erroneous speedometer reading. The one which is overlooked is the fitting of aftermarket wheels and tyres to a vehicle. Change the profile of a tyre and you change the circumference of the tyre. That changes to distance travelled per revolution of the tyre.

Even the brand of tyre makes a difference. This was evident when I changed from Dunlop to Pirelli on my Kawasaki GPZ750R1. Same reported profile tyres but the ground clearance was different with footpeg scraping more common with the Dunlop. Then I compared to tachometer reading to the speedometer. There was a difference of 4 kmh between the brands at 3000 rpm.

Then there is the question of having your speedometer checked as a part of a regular service. How many mechanics would have a dynamometer in their workshop? A quick look has 44 mechanics with dynamometers serving the whole of NSW!
That's why there is a built-in tolerance to allow for diametre changes.
And you shouldn't be changing overall dimensions more than a certain amount anyway, that defects the vehicle.

Reactions: SandyM
QLD had utes exactly like this 20-25 years ago, this is not new.