This everyday activity may be draining your wallet, research reveals

In the heart of Australia, a troubling trend is unfolding amidst a culture built on camaraderie and community spirit.

With the rising cost of living, Australians are increasingly sacrificing the cherished traditions that once defined their way of life.

Recent studies revealed that the tradition of hosting friends and family, a hallmark of Aussie hospitality, has become financially out of reach for many.

The Salvation Army's research paints a picture of Australians' financial pressures. Over a 12-month period, the organisation surveyed 1,500 individuals who sought assistance from it.

The findings revealed a distressing correlation between financial strain and mental health.

A significant 67 per cent of respondents acknowledged the detrimental impact their financial situation had on their mental health, with a worrying 71 per cent reporting frequent loss of sleep due to financial concerns.

1718762717241.png
Many were pushed into homelessness by the financial strains caused by the high cost of living. Credit: iStock

A notable 60 per cent of those surveyed have curtailed spending time with loved ones, and four in ten have stopped inviting guests entirely to save on energy costs.

This withdrawal from social interaction has led to feelings of isolation, with 62 per cent of respondents experiencing loneliness.

The mental toll is further compounded by the fact that nearly half of the participants, 46 per cent, feel they cannot afford counselling services for themselves, and 29 per cent are unable to provide it for their children.

Major Brendan Nottle of The Salvation Army describes these findings as 'heartbreaking' and increasingly common.

‘It is extremely sad to see these figures and to hear of the countless individuals and families who are struggling not only financially but emotionally and mentally,’ he said.

‘We know there are hundred of thousands of Australians in need of safe accommodation, meals, financial assistance and other practical support.’

‘We also know there are potentially even more people who need a listening ear, a place for community and connection and a reason to have hope.’

The research also sheds light on pets' role in providing emotional support during tough times.

A heartening 77 per cent of pet owners reported that their furry friends offered much-needed comfort, with 64 per cent attributing meaning and purpose to their lives thanks to their pets.

Fifty-seven per cent admitted to skipping meals to ensure their pets were fed.

The Salvation Army's annual report for 2022-23 highlights the organisation's critical role in providing assistance, with one person helping every 17 seconds.

Over 1.2 million beds were given to those facing homelessness, and more than 1.63 million meals were served.

Public relations secretary Andrew Hill noted a 40 per cent increase in people seeking their services in the past year, a surge attributed to the cost-of-living crisis.

‘We started to see a spike around Christmas time, and that has increased this time of year as we head into winter,’ He stated.

‘That 40 per cent increase is people coming because of the cost of living crisis, people not being able to afford to put groceries in the grocery cart, not being able to afford to turn the lights on, pay for the electricity bills and just maintain general cost-of-living expenses.’

While monetary donations to their Red Shield Appeal are invaluable, Hill recognises that not everyone can afford to contribute financially.

‘You can always donate goods to the Salvos, whether that’d be clothing or furniture,’ he said.

Similarly, amid the cost of living crisis, there has been a noticeable trend of Australians turning to charities for help.

The Salvation Army reported a notable rise in new clients seeking assistance, reflecting difficulties affording essential needs such as housing, groceries, and utilities.
Key Takeaways
  • New research indicated that financial pressures significantly impact the mental health of Australians, with many losing sleep.
  • The survey conducted by The Salvation Army shows that 40 per cent of people have stopped having guests over to save on energy costs, contributing to feelings of loneliness.
  • Many surveyed also prioritise their pets' well-being over their own, with pets providing emotional support and a sense of purpose during tough times.
  • The Salvation Army has observed a 40 per cent increase in people seeking their services due to the cost of living crisis, and they encourage donations of money or goods to support those in need.
Have you found creative ways to stay connected with friends and family during these challenging times? We’d love to hear your thoughts and opinions in the comments below.

Sponsored
I used to do regular BBQs with all my kids and their partners , so 13 kids and 8 partners plus grandkids equals to alot of food and alot of cooking.
I always make alot of sides, salads, potato dishes, rice dishes ect.

We still do the monthly dinner but everyone now brings a plate or two so if I'm not up to cooking I don't. And there is always plenty of food.
My sons BBQ the meat

I remember growing up my Nan's friends coming once a week for morning tea and each would bring either biscuits or a cake.
Nan would make scones or rock cakes.

I can still picture the table being set and all the delicious baked items.
I can still picture my nan and her friends chatting and laughing while having morning tea.

It doesn't cost much to make a tea cake or scones and sharing with a friend or loved one.

My daughters and I do brunch at least once a month, either at mine or a cafe

When my family got married and started having their own families we had them all over every Sunday lunch for a roast. Christmas was huge day at our house. That was 10 adults plus the children. Everyone looked forward to it until my husband got so sick he wasn’t up to having so many visitors at one time. My husband passed, family have their own grandchildren now and I’m lucky to see anyone from one week to the next. I don’t drive so that doesn’t help. I have lots of interests so keep busy by myself but talk their ears off when I see any of them 😂

The headline was barely connected to the article.
It's such a sad indictment on the lucky country that so many people are in need.

• Sad
Reactions: what
It is a shame that this tradition dies out (I’m not sure if financial pressure is wholly to blame). The concept of an ordinary, old fashioned meal is diminishing…
The old tradition of invite a friend (friends) who bring a course to share is a great way to keep friendships, comradeships alive. Courses don’t need to be lavish… just basic, healthy food.
People are just losing the capacity to interact with friends overall… everyone lives in the fast lane, everyone thinks they have to do better than others…
We need to be getting back to ‘grass roots’ of needing and interacting with other people friends and strangers alike

Well its no longer a lucky country, there is so many homeless people, and what with youth crime on the rise, and the mentally ill or on drugs, going mad in the streets. Not so lucky.

I shop once a week with a friend and belong to a senior group that does the odd outing. I still drive so can get out when I want .I get a Gov fuel card once a year as I live regional with no public transport which really helps. I still have lunch out once a week see family often.I am a watercolour Artist so get into my studio weather permitting as much as I can

Volunteering is a great way to connect. Meals on Wheels are in need of people willing to deliver and be a needed ear to housebound person whilst delivering the precious food. (Most are getting to their later years). Also the wonderful Lions Club and Lionesses make such a difference to their local communities. There is no need to be sad and depressed when you know you are doing good

• Love
Reactions: Iggydi