This Driver's ‘Note’ to Other Motorists Caused a Stir: Find Out What It Says!

We understand that there are a lot of challenging road rules in Australia, which is why here at the SDC, we always like to provide some handy tips whenever we can.

Whether it's advice on safe driving, unknown road rules, or just making sure you stay aware of your surroundings while driving, it's all worth taking notice of.

But one driver's attempt to 'help' other motorists by writing a note has been met with outrage online.

The driver in question left fellow motorists in disbelief after sticking a 'candid' handwritten note to the back window of their vehicle.

The image of the driver's handwritten note was taken by a passing motorist on a Melbourne road and then shared on the popular discussion forum site Reddit.

drive1.jpg
What do you think of the note? Credit: Pixabay/Pexels

The note read: ‘I drive slow. Kindly overtake.’

While the driver who posted the photo said they ‘appreciated the heads up’, some Reddit users weren’t impressed.

Others even argued that there was 'no place' for motorists who travel below the speed limit on the road.

‘Driving significantly below the speed limit is dangerous – just like driving over the speed limit is,’ one wrote.

speed1.jpg
The driver’s note was criticised on social media. Credit: Digital Buggu/Pexels

Another commented: ‘Nobody should be going that far under the limit that they need a sign like this on the back of their car.’

While another said that slow drivers are ‘more annoying than speeders’. They went on to say that the speed limit should be followed and that it’s not good for traffic flow to be going slower than what’s recommended.

Someone added that needing a sign to warn others of their driving meant that the driver shouldn’t have been driving on the road in the first place.

‘If anyone drives so slowly consistently enough to need this sign, then they really shouldn’t be driving. They are putting themselves and other road users at risk,’ one explained.

However, others suggested that there may be a valid reason behind the note.

‘I like how everyone is just assuming that this person is a complete snail, and not someone sick of getting tailgated for going completely reasonable speeds,’ one Redditor shared, while another agreed that many were making assumptions that the driver was driving below the speed limit.

‘This is a level of self-awareness and emotional security that I aspire to,’ one said.

‘I used to drive a vintage car and simply put a sign on the back that said “Old car, please pass”. I never really went on the freeways,’ another shared.

There is no clear definition of what ‘driving too slow’ means in road safety, police tend to decide the motorist is driving too slowly if it obstructs the movement of other road users or pedestrians. Then, they can be dealt with under part 2 of Rule 125 of the Australian Road Rules, which applies across all states and territories.

Bear with us, we’re going to get a bit technical here. Under this rule, the category of ‘unreasonably obstructing drivers or pedestrians’ supports the claim above and reads:

‘A driver must not unreasonably obstruct the path of another driver or a pedestrian.’ The exceptions to this rule are:

a. The driver is stopped in traffic; or​
b. The driver is driving more slowly than other vehicles (unless the driver is driving abnormally slowly in the circumstances).​

An example of the second exception was provided in the document, stating that a driver driving abnormally slowly is defined as someone ‘A driver driving at a speed of 20 kilometres per hour on a length of road to which a speed limit of 80 kilometres per hour applies when there is no reason for the driver to drive at that speed on the length of road’.

The key reason behind this example is ‘when there is no reason’ for the slower speed.

Key Takeaways
  • A passing driver took an image of the controversial note, spotted on a Melbourne road, and shared it on Reddit.
  • The note read, ‘I drive slow. Kindly overtake.’
  • Many Reddit users expressed that there is ‘no place’ for motorists who drive well below the speed limit on the roads.
  • Some suggested there may be a valid reason behind the note and that the driver may occasionally be transporting fragile cargo that requires slower speeds.
Do you think the motorist is asking for trouble from other drivers? Or should we all be a little more understanding of others and leave them to drive as they see fit? Would you appreciate seeing this sign? Share your thoughts in the comments!

Sponsored
We understand that there are a lot of challenging road rules in Australia, which is why here at the SDC, we always like to provide some handy tips whenever we can.

Whether it's advice on safe driving, unknown road rules, or just making sure you stay aware of your surroundings while driving, it's all worth taking notice of.

But one driver's attempt to 'help' other motorists by writing a note has been met with outrage online.

The driver in question left fellow motorists in disbelief after sticking a 'candid' handwritten note to the back window of their vehicle.

The image of the driver's handwritten note was taken by a passing motorist on a Melbourne road and then shared on the popular discussion forum site Reddit.

View attachment 12924

While the driver who posted the photo said they ‘appreciated the heads up’, some Reddit users weren’t impressed.

Others even argued that there was 'no place' for motorists who travel below the speed limit on the road.

‘Driving significantly below the speed limit is dangerous – just like driving over the speed limit is,’ one wrote.

View attachment 12925

Another commented: ‘Nobody should be going that far under the limit that they need a sign like this on the back of their car.’

While another said that slow drivers are ‘more annoying than speeders’. They went on to say that the speed limit should be followed and that it’s not good for traffic flow to be going slower than what’s recommended.

Someone added that needing a sign to warn others of their driving meant that the driver shouldn’t have been driving on the road in the first place.

‘If anyone drives so slowly consistently enough to need this sign, then they really shouldn’t be driving. They are putting themselves and other road users at risk,’ one explained.

‘I like how everyone is just assuming that this person is a complete snail, and not someone sick of getting tailgated for going completely reasonable speeds,’ one Redditor shared, while another agreed that many were making assumptions that the driver was driving below the speed limit.

‘This is a level of self-awareness and emotional security that I aspire to,’ one said.

‘I used to drive a vintage car and simply put a sign on the back that said “Old car, please pass”. I never really went on the freeways,’ another shared.

There is no clear definition of what ‘driving too slow’ means in road safety, police tend to decide the motorist is driving too slowly if it obstructs the movement of other road users or pedestrians. Then, they can be dealt with under part 2 of Rule 125 of the Australian Road Rules, which applies across all states and territories.

Bear with us, we’re going to get a bit technical here. Under this rule, the category of ‘unreasonably obstructing drivers or pedestrians’ supports the claim above and reads:

‘A driver must not unreasonably obstruct the path of another driver or a pedestrian.’ The exceptions to this rule are:

b. The driver is driving more slowly than other vehicles (unless the driver is driving abnormally slowly in the circumstances).​

An example of the second exception was provided in the document, stating that a driver driving abnormally slowly is defined as someone ‘A driver driving at a speed of 20 kilometres per hour on a length of road to which a speed limit of 80 kilometres per hour applies when there is no reason for the driver to drive at that speed on the length of road’.

The key reason behind this example is ‘when there is no reason’ for the slower speed.

Key Takeaways

• A passing driver took an image of the controversial note, spotted on a Melbourne road, and shared it on Reddit.
  • Many Reddit users expressed that there is ‘no place’ for motorists who drive well below the speed limit on the roads.
  • Some suggested there may be a valid reason behind the note and that the driver may occasionally be transporting fragile cargo that requires slower speeds.
Do you think the motorist is asking for trouble from other drivers? Or should we all be a little more understanding of others and leave them to drive as they see fit? Would you appreciate seeing this sign? Share your thoughts in the comments!
what the hell. a note is plastered on the back of your car to tell people you're a bit slow. in more ways than one. do not drive as you will be fined for driving slow and i am sorry no sympathy from this quarter.

Reactions: Ricci and Jennie
God bless the slow driver for having the decency to put the sign up. There's no point in rushing to be the first to arrive at the Pearly Gates, nor anywhere else. I routinely drive 10km/h below the speed limit, city and country; I've never had a speeding fine (or any other moving-traffic violation) in fifty years' driving and save an absolute s***load on my fuel bill by not teararseing from one red light to the next red light. Going that little bit slower also means that I routinely do not tailgate (others do, to me) and I have just that little bit extra reaction-time available to me if something does go pearshaped ahead of me. Relax, people. Enjoy the view and think of the money you can save.

I see people tailgating all the time, it's so dangerous yet they get away with it. What's wrong with a sign warning speed deamons to go around?

As a nervous driver in areas I'm not familiar with I have a tendency to drive at the lower end of the speed limit or at the actual speed limit so that I don't take a wrong turn or I misinterpret what the GPS has told me to do. I have tradies in particular who ride up my backside trying to force me to go faster than I'm comfortable with well I'm sorry but get in the fast lane if you're in such a bloody hurry, that's what its there for. Sometimes I am so tempted to slow down to a crawl or stop. The fear that I may get hurt is what stops me.

There's always a cop about when you're speeding (yes I do that as well at times) but where are they when people drive dangerously and tailgate? There's a lot more accidents due to excessive speed than sticking to the limit or a bit below so concentrate on the real problem on the roads, speeders and reckless drivers.

I like the way Tasmania puts it on their speed signs - It's a limit not a challenge'. Just because the speed 'Limit' is 60K or 100K you DO NOT do that speed all the time. The rule that you MUST adhere to is 'Drive to the condition' If it is raining, foggy, heavy traffic, damaged road surface etc then you slow down. However, the driver and their abilities should be looked at. If they are unreasonably unable to maintain a safe speed, they need to hand in their licence. Have a bit of a think. There are still a lot of country drivers coming to cities but lack the experience of driving in city traffic. Remember, the road is shared and we have the privilege (not the right) to drive if we have a licence. I tell my grandchildren, the secet to drving well is to begin with common courtesy.

View attachment 12924

View attachment 12925

Key Takeaways

I was picked up for driving to slow once when I was travelling along St. Kilda Road at 12:30 am.
I was pulled over and the police asked me to get out of the car with my licence.
He was confronted by a me at 5 months pregnant and not feeling 100%. He checked my licence and looked at the back of my 5.8lt V8 Ford XC panel van to check if my P plate was showing.
He asked why I was out so late, I told him that I had dropped my hubby at the Queen Vic hospital for his night shift and then I went to pick up my brother from his afternoon shift in Clayton.
He asked why I was driving slowly, and I replied the the car was a V8 and I let it get to the speed limit by itself without revving the engine. He then asked why I was a bit wobbly on the road, I smoothed my hand down the front of my dress and said that I wasn't feeling well.
He sent me off with a take care and I drove off.
Sometimes driving slowly can have more that one reason.

View attachment 12924

View attachment 12925

Key Takeaways

I was thinking of the 4th option - not so annoying as others as driver realises his problem and has offered an alternative to getting annoyed.

Reactions: Ricci
I could easily put that sign on my rear windscreen too. Although I drive to the speed/safety limits that’s never fast enough for the P plater who drive so much better.
Sign may not be effective though as it does require the P player to have ability to read which given their disregard of speed limits and road rules may not be useful.

While driving behind someone is annoying, I can cope with that, what I cant cope with is foreign drivers in Australia who do not have a right to hold a licence because they mostly are well below Australian standards including not even understanding english. I wonder who passes these people and what it costs for them to pass without proper driving qualifications. There seems to be some sort of colusion for them to get a licence.

• Sad
The speed limit is a ‘limit’ a maximum speed. Certainly, going very slow can create problems. The person who wrote the note was trying to do the right thing. Clearly, Reddit followers need to stop taking cocaine, speed and other stimulants and drive within the speed limits.

I have heard of drivers who have actually been fined for driving too slow and impeding traffic. I have often had drivers who didn't give way to me at an intersection and then drive 20k under the speed limit. It is frustrating!

My sister in law was picked up for driving too slow. She was dropping her step daughter at the airport to go back to her mums. My sister in law was driving at 40kph in an 80 zone. The police stopped her and asked her why she was driving so slow, when she replied I am taking my step daughter to the airport. The police told her to speed up a bit or your step daughter will miss her flight. It was so embarrassing.

View attachment 12924

View attachment 12925

Key Takeaways

This driver is breaking the speed limit and should be fine. Maybe I should put up a sign above the front of my number plate: I drive fast get out of my way! If you drive below the speed limit, you are a hazard to other drivers.