This dishwasher hack will revolutionise your cleaning routine

For some of us, there’s nothing worse than having to hand wash a sink full of dishes. Thankfully, dishwashers were invented.

But did you know that there’s a hack that makes doing the dishes even easier?

Thousands have been left gobsmacked after a woman discovered an ‘ingenious’ dishwasher hack that few have heard of.

An Australian woman posted two little-known ways to position the cutlery holder inside certain dishwasher models to make more room for plates and bowls.

Before we get into this hack, however, it is important to note that this hack may have worked because of the woman’s specific dishwasher model, and it may not work for others. So, before taking your machines or appliances apart, it is advisable to check the manual first and see if the same parts are intended to be removed or not.

dishwasher1.jpg
This hack may not work for everyone. Credit: Castorly Stock/Pexels

The woman, who goes by @truearthmovement online, offered up the neat trick to her viewers – which racked up 3.6 million views.

‘I was today years old when I learned my dishwasher could do this,’ the woman said in the video.

The woman first showed the cutlery holder by the side of the plates and bowls holder, which is what many people are used to seeing. But then, the woman took the cutlery holder and laid it flat by the dishwasher door before closing the dishwasher. This makes more room for plates and bowls inside.

You can watch the first hack below:

In a follow-up video, the woman showed that the cutlery holder can also be hung on the bottom drawer or in front of the plates and bowls holder.

And here’s the second hack:

Both hacks create more room for larger utensils or spatulas. Not a lot of people seemed to know about the tips but after watching the woman’s clips, most rushed to their dishwashers to try it for themselves.

‘Are you kidding me?’ One asked.

‘I just found that out like a week ago,’ someone else stated.

Another said: ‘OMG just got off the couch and mine fits on the door and hangs outside the rack.’

While another replied: ‘Mine is on right now so I have to wait until it’s done.’

One person shared that they owned the same dishwasher for three years but all this time they didn’t know it could do this.

‘Mine hangs on the front of the rack but I didn't know it could go on the door!’ One more responded.

‘OMG I just did that and mine works both ways,’ another claimed.

Others, however, were disappointed their household appliance lacked the feature.

‘Only Whirlpool dishwashers do this,’ one offered.

Not in my LG,’ another replied, while someone else said they felt excited until they found out that their dishwasher doesn’t have the same features.

‘Immediately ran to my dishwasher. Looked for hooks, none there. Immediately sad,’ someone shared.

One claimed to have tried this hack but said it was a ‘no-go’.

‘This must be for more high-end dishwashers,’ someone declared.

Someone else stated that they preferred the separate top tray option for cutlery.

Many questioned what was the reason for the hack and why it would need to be used.

‘Just out of curiosity why would one want to do that? Wouldn't all the cutlery just fall out as you open and close the dishwasher? And if one wants more space one can just remove the cutlery holder?’ one social media user asked.

But someone else confirmed that the cutlery won’t fall out.

‘They should put this in the manual,’ someone commented.

Do you know what can and cannot be washed in a dishwasher?

According to CHOICE, you can wash the following items in any dishwasher:
  • Ceramic baking dishes
  • Stainless steel baking cookware and pots
  • Coffee plungers
  • Kitchen scrubbing brush or kitchen sponge
  • Pet food bowls
  • Plastic dishes
  • Oven racks
The following items cannot be washed in a dishwasher:
  • Aluminium
  • Ashtrays
  • Blenders
  • Bone-handed cutlery
  • Cast iron
  • Ceramic knives
  • Knives
  • Copper cookware
  • Fine China
  • Hand-painted ceramics
  • Food processors
  • Crystal
  • Wood
  • Non-stick pans
  • Pizza stones
  • Silver cutlery
  • Thermos
Key Takeaways
  • A TikTok user shared a ‘mind-blowing’ dishwasher hack they’d never seen before.
  • The hack showed that some dishwashers can have their cutlery holder stored upright in the bottom drawer, or laid down flat in the door, for more room for plates and bowls.
  • The dishwasher hack racked up 3.6 million views from impressed users.
What other cleaning hacks do you swear by? We would love to read them in the comments section below!

Reactions: Zoya and Ricci
Sponsored
I find hand washing quite therapeutic. I live alone so dont have too many dishes and also my dishwasher doesnt work anymore. ;)

Reactions: Gaena
Mine doesn't have a cutlery basket, but looking at that video and wondering where the dishwasher tablet would fall to. On top of the cutlery? I'd say that's why the cutlery basket was originally designed for the side. Hopefully the water will swish around and dissolve it there. Wouldn't matter if powder was used.

Reactions: Ricci
I don't have a dish washer and don't want one,,,,by the time you clean everything off,,pack it nicely and then wait for 2 hrs ? for it to wash I can have mine done by hand and packed away in the cupboard with my sink clean as well

I don't have a dish washer and don't want one,,,,by the time you clean everything off,,pack it nicely and then wait for 2 hrs ? for it to wash I can have mine done by hand and packed away in the cupboard with my sink clean as well
I was the same, never had a dishwasher didn't want one and always did the dishes by hand every morning. When we built our house the builder kept asking about a dish washer for the kitchen after around the tenth time of refusing I finally said Ok, everyone else has one so I may as well. I have to admit to never using it, so it just sat there under the sink looking lonely until recently my sister-in-law came to stay, she showed me how to stack it properly and all of a sudden I realised why so many people would not be without them, all I have to do now is get over the cost of dishwasher tablets !!

True but it was built into the price of the house so I did not notice, I would not just buy one to add to the kitchen now.
That's a fair call. I've always had one, but I must say the newer ones are much more efficient with water & electricity costs. My problem is, I've always been fussy, as I prefer the look of a clean sink that's clear and tidy without dish racks. Easy to place used items in the dishwasher, than me wash up several times/day. Of course there's items that need to be hand washed, but it's minimal. Also, the dishwasher uses a hotter temperature of water than hand washing. I turn the dishwasher on every night before going to bed and empty it in the morning.

Last edited:
Reactions: Anoush and Ricci
That's a fair call. I've always had one, but I must say the newer ones are much more efficient with water & electricity costs. My problem is, I've always been fussy, as I prefer the look of a clean sink that's clear and tidy without dish racks. Easy to place used items in the dishwasher, than me wash up several times/day. Of course there's items that need to be hand washed, but it's minimal. Also, the dishwasher uses a hotter temperature of water than hand washing. I turn the dishwasher on every night before going to bed and empty it in the morning.
same here, Hate the look of a full sink and dish racks cluttering the drainer, (I store my dish rack in the laundry)Also agree with electricity costs but Our Solar installer advised me to put the dinner dishes in the dishwasher over night and turn it on in the morning, when the Solar kicks in, that way any electricity costs are minimised.

same here, Hate the look of a full sink and dish racks cluttering the drainer, (I store my dish rack in the laundry)Also agree with electricity costs but Our Solar installer advised me to put the dinner dishes in the dishwasher over night and turn it on in the morning, when the Solar kicks in, that way any electricity costs are minimised.
Morning or night ... whatever works best and I would go with your advice from your Solar Installer.

The thing is now that we are treated like idiots and our hot water systems are not allowed to heat over 50 degrees, your dishwasher will heat the water it uses to 70 degree much hotter and sterilise everything that is washed in there more or less

Reactions: Ricci and Penny4
I have the best dish washer in the world. I married him 63 years ago and he has always washed the dishes and never complains, of course I dry them and they get done straight after our evening meal, and he never breaks down

I have the best dish washer in the world. I married him 63 years ago and he has always washed the dishes and never complains, of course I dry them and they get done straight after our evening meal, and he never breaks down
Does he help with the ironing? My hubby does and also helps with the housework since we got married.

I was the same, never had a dishwasher didn't want one and always did the dishes by hand every morning. When we built our house the builder kept asking about a dish washer for the kitchen after around the tenth time of refusing I finally said Ok, everyone else has one so I may as well. I have to admit to never using it, so it just sat there under the sink looking lonely until recently my sister-in-law came to stay, she showed me how to stack it properly and all of a sudden I realised why so many people would not be without them, all I have to do now is get over the cost of dishwasher tablets !!
Try the Woolies brand dishwashing powder $3.90, Coles does a similar one for the same price. I use them and find them better than tablets - if you have a smaller load of dishes you can reduce the amount of powder you use. Even more economical then - win win!! 😁

Reactions: Ricci and Penny4
aside from not having a dishwasher ,I don't have dish racks sitting on the sink either,,I have seen way to many over time sitting full with saucepans and frying pans on top,,that would seriously drive me mad,,quite the ugly scene,,,it doesn't take long to dry up with hubbies help,,he packs away while I clean the sink,,,it looks so much nicer.. ,,my dish rack is under the sink with detergents ,hand wash,brush, bottle brush and gloves in it