This detail on a Coles steak is making waves—here's why the internet can't stop laughing!

You'd expect Aussies to have mastered the ideal way to grill a steak—toss it on the barbie until it's just right.

But one packaging tip from Coles has caused quite a stir online and left steak lovers across the country scratching their heads in disbelief.

It all kicked off when a social media user, Darren Hales, shared a snapshot of Coles’ Finest Australian Premium Beef Eye Fillet, snugly wrapped in its regular sealed plastic packaging.

Initially, it looked like a typical $23 steak. Yet, upon closer inspection, tucked away in the fine print was a surprising caution: ‘Please remove all packaging before microwaving.’

08c6cda69d2f8e4ac85b311881b61879.jpg
Coles steak warning: ‘Please remove all packaging before microwaving.’ Image source: Social media

Now, microwaving a steak is unheard of for any proud Aussie meat lover.

No wonder the post garnered over 500 shares and comments brimming with microwaved steak puns and playful packaging jokes.

A majority of social media users had a problem with the sacrilege of microwaving a steak, particularly one of such high quality.

‘If you microwave that, you deserve to be vegan,’ one person joked.

‘Whoever is microwaving a steak needs to have their steak purchasing rights revoked,’ another shared.

‘What Philistine microwaves an eye fillet steak,’ a third one said.

‘I guess they have to cover all bases for s****d people,’ the fourth one added.

Later, Darryn commented, playfully stating that he had indeed followed the instructions and microwaved his steak (without the packaging, of course).

‘Wish me luck!’ He quipped, alongside a rather grim photo.

be2864018b464c8ee2e32d32af86a69c.jpg
One man removed the steak packaging before microwaving it. Image source: Social media

However, others mentioned some potentially valid reasons for the message.

‘I freeze steak fairly regularly and microwave to defrost, then cook on a BBQ.’

‘Is that not something anyone else does?’ One person wrote.

‘Yeah, some people defrost their meat in the microwave. The security seal has metal in it, so will spark in the microwave,’ seconded someone.

There was also another issue on the packet that people noticed.

Other commenters took issue with the plastic packaging's claim of being ‘Certified Carbon Neutral’.

‘The irony is that it's apparently carbon neutral, but wrapped in plastic…’ One person noted.

Another remarked, ‘Carbon neutral?! Must have been delivered on horseback.’

However, one commenter quickly explained ‘carbon neutral’ to the group:

‘Carbon neutral means the company either has an environmental project that offsets the carbon they produce (generating carbon credits) or they purchase carbon credits from someone else.’

Another pointed out further problems in the photo.

‘How much more can be wrong with this photo? 1) Coles claiming they have fine/premium steak. 2) Do they seriously need to put a security tag on a piece of steak?’ They shared.
Key Takeaways

• A photo of a Coles steak with a small warning that read, ‘Please remove all packaging before microwaving’ has become popular, making people laugh.
  • Many social media users were shocked and amused at the thought of microwaving a steak, considering it a culinary sacrilege.
  • Some users explained that the warning might be for those who defrost their steaks in the microwave, highlighting that the security seal contains metal which could cause sparks in a microwave.
  • Other details noticed by users included the claim of the steak being ‘Certified Carbon Neutral’ despite being wrapped in plastic, with users trading humorous comments about what this term might mean.
Members, have you or someone you know ever attempted to microwave a steak before grilling it? Feel free to share your experiences and opinions in the comments below!

Sponsored
You'd expect Aussies to have mastered the ideal way to grill a steak—toss it on the barbie until it's just right.

But one packaging tip from Coles has caused quite a stir online and left steak lovers across the country scratching their heads in disbelief.

It all kicked off when a social media user, Darren Hales, shared a snapshot of Coles’ Finest Australian Premium Beef Eye Fillet, snugly wrapped in its regular sealed plastic packaging.

Initially, it looked like a typical $23 steak. Yet, upon closer inspection, tucked away in the fine print was a surprising caution: ‘Please remove all packaging before microwaving.’

View attachment 31981
Coles steak warning: ‘Please remove all packaging before microwaving.’ Image source: Social media

No wonder the post garnered over 500 shares and comments brimming with microwaved steak puns and playful packaging jokes.

A majority of social media users had a problem with the sacrilege of microwaving a steak, particularly one of such high quality.

‘Whoever is microwaving a steak needs to have their steak purchasing rights revoked,’ another shared.

Later, Darryn commented, playfully stating that he had indeed followed the instructions and microwaved his steak (without the packaging, of course).

View attachment 31982
One man removed the steak packaging before microwaving it. Image source: Social media

‘Yeah, some people defrost their meat in the microwave. The security seal has metal in it, so will spark in the microwave,’ seconded someone.

Other commenters took issue with the plastic packaging's claim of being ‘Certified Carbon Neutral’.

‘The irony is that it's apparently carbon neutral, but wrapped in plastic…’ One person noted.

‘Carbon neutral means the company either has an environmental project that offsets the carbon they produce (generating carbon credits) or they purchase carbon credits from someone else.’

‘How much more can be wrong with this photo? 1) Coles claiming they have fine/premium steak. 2) Do they seriously need to put a security tag on a piece of steak?’ They shared.
Key Takeaways

• A photo of a Coles steak with a small warning that read, ‘Please remove all packaging before microwaving’ has become popular, making people laugh.
  • Many social media users were shocked and amused at the thought of microwaving a steak, considering it a culinary sacrilege.
  • Some users explained that the warning might be for those who defrost their steaks in the microwave, highlighting that the security seal contains metal which could cause sparks in a microwave.
  • Other details noticed by users included the claim of the steak being ‘Certified Carbon Neutral’ despite being wrapped in plastic, with users trading humorous comments about what this term might mean.
Members, have you or someone you know ever attempted to microwave a steak before grilling it? Feel free to share your experiences and opinions in the comments below!
Key sTakeaway: Coles to Newcastle - most people know to not cook anything in clingwrap due to its toxic releases in heat! But okay; most people still leaves some abandoned young folks at risk.

Reactions: Lolali

View attachment 31981

View attachment 31982

Key Takeaways

Eye Fillet is the Regared as the Most Tenderised Steak Out . It would be a Sin to Microwave It.

Reactions: Jersey Girl
Initially once l saw the picture, it looked like Coles and Woolworths had found a way to stop meat theft from their stores LOL

Heh!!! Who can afford Steak ?
I agree with the majority why would you
Microwave an expensive piece of Steak ?
But then whatever floats your boat ?
It's your Steak, do what you want with it.

Reactions: Petra and Observer

View attachment 31981

View attachment 31982

Key Takeaways

mentality of people haha, years ago my Husband and I went into partnership with my brother in law doing Steak Sandwiches for Shanghi Charlie, I thought I would be doing the cooking but Brother in law said he was, OK me front counter so we goes off to do the Grafton Quarter horse show so I am not watching him I am serving and someone wanted cheese on their sanger so he puts it straight onto the hotplate still with plastic around it, talk about extras oh dear...............needless to say he had to have a quick lesson and we were swamped with customers but somehow it was my fault lol MEN!! LOL

View attachment 31981

View attachment 31982

Key Takeaways

The Dearest and most tasteless piece of meat imaginable.

View attachment 31981

View attachment 31982

Key Takeaways

There a lots of ways to microwave steak, casseroles for one, ( have a shelf full of early microwave cook books), or you may use your microwave for defrosting steak. In my case I use my ALDI purchased microwave that has multiple functions and I can roast, grill, and microwave or use a combination to cook steak.. (and it is beautifully cooked, just ask any of our BnB guests). Please be careful about making judgements on what is recommended on packaging. Supermarket food labelling has to cater for what I call "the lowest common denominator". Coles were doing the right thing.

Reactions: marni
Note to SDC members......

Meat theft from supermarkets is big, and stores have to minimise their losses, and now fix security
tags to their high-end cuts.

For example, the packaged eye steak shown is marked at $23.00 for 330grams, or almost $70 kilogram.

Coles Finest Carbon Neutral Beef Eye Fillet Steak | 330g​

$23.00
$69.70 per 1kg

The security tag is applied to more expensive purchases, not just eye fillet, eg large leg roasts (both pork and lamb), premium packaged seafood, and large trays of chicken products.

EVERY shopper pays for supermarket theft through increased prices, and restrictive offer of items.

Even female makeup, toothpaste and dental items, and baby needs, attract security tags at times!!

Last edited:
Reactions: marni