This controversial couple is spending their kids' inheritance on luxury vacations – find out why and if Boomers are entitled to splurge!

In a world where the term 'Boomer' often comes with a side of controversy, a Victorian couple's decision to spend their children's inheritance on globetrotting adventures has sparked a fiery debate about financial priorities, generational differences, and the concept of 'Boomer privilege'.

Leanne and Leon Ryland, a well-off couple from Victoria, have made headlines and ruffled feathers by openly declaring their intention to use their hard-earned savings to see the world's wonders, rather than leaving a financial legacy for their two adult sons. With an impressive $170,000 already spent on trips to destinations like Machu Picchu, India, Sri Lanka, and the Maldives, the Rylands are the embodiment of the 'SKI' philosophy – Spending Kids' Inheritance.

2_20240710_122745_0001.png
Leanne and Leon Ryland are spending their children's inheritance on luxury holidays and plan to keep doing so. Credit: YouTube / SBS Insight

Their story, which was featured on SBS Insight, has ignited a conversation about whether Boomers are entitled to enjoy the fruits of their labor or if they have a responsibility to provide for the next generation. The Rylands' approach to retirement is not unique; they are part of a growing trend of older Australians who are choosing to live their golden years to the fullest.

The couple's financial journey began with a visit to a financial planner before retirement, who advised them to take advantage of their wealth while they could. After a lifetime of saving, investing in property, and building a healthy superannuation, the Rylands decided to shift their mindset from saving to spending. They now run a Facebook group called 'SKIclub', where like-minded retirees exchange travel tips and stories.

Leanne Ryland's philosophy is clear: 'Spend now, because if we don't spend it, you know he gets it,' she said, referring to her son. 'In another 10 years we won't be climbing the Great Wall of China. We won't be going up Machu Picchu. We've gotta do it now because what else is there?'

The Rylands' stance has been met with mixed reactions. Some social media users have branded them as 'entitled' and 'selfish,' criticizing their environmental impact and perceived lack of concern for their children's financial future. Others, however, see the Rylands as a symbol of a generation that has earned the right to enjoy their success.

Interestingly, the Rylands' own son, Alex, supports his parents' decision, stating, 'It's their money. They've worked hard their entire life... so I think they should be able to do whatever they'd like with it.'

The debate extends beyond the Rylands, with other Boomers like Lorna Shuker sharing their stories of financial independence and success without parental assistance. Shuker, who came from a poor family, worked her way into a comfortable life, buying and selling million-dollar properties. She offers a critique of younger generations, suggesting they lack budgeting skills and desire instant gratification, as evidenced by their use of services like Afterpay.

This raises important questions for our members: Is it fair for Boomers to prioritize their own enjoyment over leaving an inheritance? Are younger generations unfairly judged for their financial habits? And what does this mean for family dynamics and expectations?

As we navigate these complex issues, it's essential to consider the diverse perspectives and experiences that shape our views on inheritance, entitlement, and the value of experiences over material wealth. Whether you're a Boomer enjoying your well-deserved retirement or a younger person building your financial future, the conversation around inheritance and spending is one that affects us all.
Key Takeaways
  • Victorian couple Leanne and Leon Ryland have spent their children's inheritance on luxury holidays and plan to continue doing so.
  • The Rylands have visited several international destinations and run a Facebook group to share travel tips with other retirees.
  • While some view the Rylands' spending as an exercise of 'boomer privilege' and entitlement, their son supports their decision.
  • The programme also featured other boomers and perspectives on intergenerational financial responsibility and personal spending habits.
We invite you to share your thoughts and experiences on this topic. Do you believe in the SKI philosophy, or do you think it's important to leave something behind for your children? How do you balance the desire for adventure with financial responsibility to your family? Join the discussion in the comments below and let's explore the many facets of this modern financial dilemma.

Sponsored
I think it’s important to enjoy life when you have retired. Prudent people have usually prepared for life after work and it is wise to enjoy what you have now because you may not be well enough to do so in a few years. Your children should (if brought up with
Love and positive parenting) be urging you to enjoy it now. I was lucky because we did do a lot of travelling and enjoying what we had worked and saved for during our working life. He suffered from Altzeimers and passed away three years ago. My children and I are so glad we had those memories rather than being afraid to spend. There is nothing selfish about spending your retirement living it up - it’s your choice and eventually what’s left will be shared by your offspring anyway. So it’s unlikely there will be nothing left anyway. I never expected anything from my parents and actually never received anything. But I don’t think it was ever considered to be an issue because they didn’t own their own housr

Kids have it so easy? Try having children paying off their HECS debts, accrued by kids who have worked very hard to get assorted professional degrees as well as finding their own rent money. My son and his wife worked very hard for 12 years to do just that and they still can't afford a mortgage. I had it easy, back in the day before Thatcher raised her ugly face of callousness and privatisation in the UK , Yes, we might have lived three families to a three-level Victorian-age upstairs-downstairs house before my parents could afford a mortgage and a second-hand car16 years after WW2, but I got decent schooling, fees-paid access to university and also a cost of living grant whilst at university and access to the once-excellent NHS, including opticians and dentists. So that good luck granted me by the then UK society I will do my best to pass onto my son and his wife, as Australia certainly will not do that.

We want tax cuts! We want tax cuts! We want tax cuts! The cry of the feral Australian.
Your money - your choice. Do not expect others to do as you say, If UK is so good, best your son lives there

well people have to make up their mind: are we wrong to keep our money for our kids to inherit...ie wealth inheritance, or should we spend like mad and not thinking about our poor offsprings who cannot buy a house... Government rules ensure that if we give them money when we are alive we will be penalise if something goes wrong (think GFC or a disastrous investment)through no fault of your own

well people have to make up their mind: are we wrong to keep our money for our kids to inherit...ie wealth inheritance, or should we spend like mad and not thinking about our poor offsprings who cannot buy a house... Government rules ensure that if we give them money when we are alive we will be penalise if something goes wrong (think GFC or a disastrous investment)through no fault of your own
How are we penalised? If you have the
Money to give whilst you are alive, if anything goes wrong after 5 years you get the pension, aged care access, soo many pensioner discounts. Etc etc. If you wait until you are dead there is probate, taxes etc etc.

I agree its your money enjoy it.

When dad died left some money my brothers spent it overnight.
He worked hard for his money

How are we penalised? If you have the
Money to give whilst you are alive, if anything goes wrong after 5 years you get the pension, aged care access, soo many pensioner discounts. Etc etc. If you wait until you are dead there is probate, taxes etc etc.
Do a living will transfer all if any on the day leaving instruction to solicitor to d so before you pass that way no probate.