This Coles policy has shoppers furious - find out why!

It is really frustrating to discover that the bread you bought a few days ago has already gone bad.

Bread generally has a pretty short shelf life, which is why we usually only buy what we need and consume it fairly quickly. But what happens when you've ordered groceries online and the loaf of bread you receive is already starting to go off?

Unfortunately, this seems to be a growing problem in Australia as more and more people turn to online grocery shopping due to the convenience factor.

A Coles customer who found herself in this situation recently took to social media to express her frustration with the supermarket giant.

You see, she received an online order from Coles which included a loaf of bread… with only two days left until its expiry date!

Understandably concerned, she then contacted Coles’ customer service about the issue and was told that their ‘minimum acceptance for all bread products is 2 days’.

‘Unfortunately, as these products were within our minimum acceptance guidelines we are unable to provide you with a refund or exchange for these items,’ they added.

pexels-photo-6097887.jpg
Would you buy bread that expires two days after your purchase? Credit: Pexels/Laura James

Really, it was just a roundabout way of saying there was nothing they could do for her.

The woman was not happy with this response, as she felt that she had been done dirty by the supermarket.

‘Apparently, Coles’ policy on bread is if it has two days use-by on the tag, they will sell it. It’s not fresh daily,’ she said in her post.

The shopper’s experience was a familiar one for many who reacted to her post.

Another Coles shopper shared: ‘Bread isn’t the only thing they do it with.’

‘(I received) so many items delivered that were almost out-of-date and got the same generated response after complaining. It’s disgusting.’

‘It’s the same with their meat too. Got a click-and-collect from Coles… and got some meat that only had two days’ expiry on it,’ a third one shared.

‘When I questioned the store, they said the same thing: “It’s within the guidelines”.’

There is no specific mention of a two-day minimum acceptance guideline in Coles’ Frequently Asked Questions page on its website as of writing, so it must be something disclosed upon return or replace queries.

How unfortunate for shoppers, if we may say so.

In 2021, research from consumer advocacy group CHOICE revealed that 46 per cent or almost half of Aussie shoppers have experienced receiving orders such as meat and fruit and vegetables near their expiry dates.

Thirteen per cent experienced having food items delivered online that were past their dates for recommended consumption.

Had they been available to choose the said items in-store, 78 per cent said they would not have chosen the items with their indicated use-by dates.

FaapSeYaIAASP5A.jpg
Almost half of Aussies in a 2021 CHOICE survey reported receiving items near their expiry dates in their online grocery orders. Credit: Coles

Thirty-eight per cent also admitted to changing their meal plans to accommodate the unexpected expiry dates listed on their grocery items.

Maybe as a compromise, these supermarkets would be open to receiving payments past recommended dates too… kidding!

CHOICE also sought out the sides of Coles and Woolworths, who they said are Australia’s biggest online grocery retailers.

‘We aim to stock only fresh products of the highest quality in all of our fresh food departments,’ a spokesperson for Coles said.

‘When packing Coles Online orders our team members follow strict guidelines that detail the minimum use-by date acceptance – these differ across our fresh produce categories including dairy, meat, bakery and eggs.’

They also said: ‘We don't currently offer our customers the choice to select specific use-by dates for individual items.’

It is unclear whether they have at the very least planned to address the customer concern since their statement to CHOICE.

Meanwhile, Woolies said customers have the option to let their preferences be known by adding notes to their online order.

‘Our dedicated personal shoppers hand-pick fruit and veg for online orders to meet the unique requests of our customers. This can include picking an under-ripe banana for later in the week or ready-to-eat avocado for that night's dinner.’

‘Our personal shoppers will do their best to meet their needs based on the stock available at the time,’ they added.

If only all supermarkets did this, they’d be making a lot of shoppers less stressed!

Key Takeaways

• A Coles customer has highlighted a growing problem with food expiration dates and online grocery shopping in Australia.
  • The customer shared that she was given bread expiring in two days in her online shopping order.
  • According to her, Coles denied her a replacement or refund for the bread as 'minimum acceptance (period) for all bread products is two days'.
  • Many shared the customer's displeasure, and came forward with similar experiences.
  • Forty-eight per cent of shoppers surveyed by CHOICE in 2021 said they have received items near expiry dates in their grocery orders.
Speaking of Coles you might also want to check out this story of a shopper’s ‘dangerous’ find that started calls for the supermarket to ‘do better’.

Also… the supermarket is now selling a new dish with a classic Aussie twist!

So what is your reaction to this story? Have you had similar experiences from Coles or other online retailers?

Tell us in the comments section below!

Sponsored
It is really frustrating to discover that the bread you bought a few days ago has already gone bad.

Bread generally has a pretty short shelf life, which is why we usually only buy what we need and consume it fairly quickly. But what happens when you've ordered groceries online and the loaf of bread you receive is already starting to go off?

Unfortunately, this seems to be a growing problem in Australia as more and more people turn to online grocery shopping due to the convenience factor.

A Coles customer who found herself in this situation recently took to social media to express her frustration with the supermarket giant.

You see, she received an online order from Coles which included a loaf of bread… with only two days left until its expiry date!

Understandably concerned, she then contacted Coles’ customer service about the issue and was told that their ‘minimum acceptance for all bread products is 2 days’.

‘Unfortunately, as these products were within our minimum acceptance guidelines we are unable to provide you with a refund or exchange for these items,’ they added.

View attachment 8880
Would you buy bread that expires two days after your purchase? Credit: Pexels/Laura James

Really, it was just a roundabout way of saying there was nothing they could do for her.

The woman was not happy with this response, as she felt that she had been done dirty by the supermarket.

‘Apparently, Coles’ policy on bread is if it has two days use-by on the tag, they will sell it. It’s not fresh daily,’ she said in her post.

‘(I received) so many items delivered that were almost out-of-date and got the same generated response after complaining. It’s disgusting.’

‘It’s the same with their meat too. Got a click-and-collect from Coles… and got some meat that only had two days’ expiry on it,’ a third one shared.

‘When I questioned the store, they said the same thing: “It’s within the guidelines”.’

There is no specific mention of a two-day minimum acceptance guideline in Coles’ Frequently Asked Questions page on its website as of writing, so it must be something disclosed upon return or replace queries.

In 2021, research from consumer advocacy group CHOICE revealed that 46 per cent or almost half of Aussie shoppers have experienced receiving orders such as meat and fruit and vegetables near their expiry dates.

Thirteen per cent experienced having food items delivered online that were past their dates for recommended consumption.

Had they been available to choose the said items in-store, 78 per cent said they would not have chosen the items with their indicated use-by dates.

View attachment 8879
Almost half of Aussies in a 2021 CHOICE survey reported receiving items near their expiry dates in their online grocery orders. Credit: Coles

Thirty-eight per cent also admitted to changing their meal plans to accommodate the unexpected expiry dates listed on their grocery items.

Maybe as a compromise, these supermarkets would be open to receiving payments past recommended dates too… kidding!

CHOICE also sought out the sides of Coles and Woolworths, who they said are Australia’s biggest online grocery retailers.

‘We aim to stock only fresh products of the highest quality in all of our fresh food departments,’ a spokesperson for Coles said.

‘When packing Coles Online orders our team members follow strict guidelines that detail the minimum use-by date acceptance – these differ across our fresh produce categories including dairy, meat, bakery and eggs.’

They also said: ‘We don't currently offer our customers the choice to select specific use-by dates for individual items.’

It is unclear whether they have at the very least planned to address the customer concern since their statement to CHOICE.

Meanwhile, Woolies said customers have the option to let their preferences be known by adding notes to their online order.

‘Our dedicated personal shoppers hand-pick fruit and veg for online orders to meet the unique requests of our customers. This can include picking an under-ripe banana for later in the week or ready-to-eat avocado for that night's dinner.’

‘Our personal shoppers will do their best to meet their needs based on the stock available at the time,’ they added.

If only all supermarkets did this, they’d be making a lot of shoppers less stressed!

Key Takeaways

• A Coles customer has highlighted a growing problem with food expiration dates and online grocery shopping in Australia.
  • The customer shared that she was given bread expiring in two days in her online shopping order.
  • According to her, Coles denied her a replacement or refund for the bread as 'minimum acceptance (period) for all bread products is two days'.
  • Many shared the customer's displeasure, and came forward with similar experiences.
  • Forty-eight per cent of shoppers surveyed by CHOICE in 2021 said they have received items near expiry dates in their grocery orders.
Speaking of Coles you might also want to check out this story of a shopper’s ‘dangerous’ find that started calls for the supermarket to ‘do better’.

So what is your reaction to this story? Have you had similar experiences from Coles or other online retailers?

found out recently most of the expensive breads (lo carb , lo gluten etc) are frozen , thawed and redated !!!!!!! look for the white date sticker . i asked them when my normal bread was half frozen and was confirmed !!!!!!!!!!!

View attachment 8880

View attachment 8879

Key Takeaways

Happens frequently with Coles. My last order had two lots of meat with 2 days to expiry, berries soft and almost inedible - ended up making a coulis out of them - iceberg lettuce with stems brown already - so had to cull half of the head to get to the green leaves. Cucumbers soft and starting to break down. Woolworths are not much better as you can't order half of what you want as they have a huge number of items not available online- available in store only.
This last order was the straw that broke the camels back - I am sick of having to call their customer service to complain. Not going to either supermarket again. I am going to local butcher, greengrocer etc. even though it will cost me extra - (not really if you discount the spoilage). Both supermarkets can go to the devil!

I don't know why people think this is new or news, this is a major supermarket, they don't give a toss about the freshness of your shopping or the amount you pay, this is standard practice, if it looks good sell it. I think you would be lucky to find anything in one of those supermarkets that is fresh or leass than two day old.

Maybe I've just been lucky but I've been shopping online with Woolies since the bushfires and I've not had a reason to complain about the freshness of my purchases. I did once complain that the two loaves I had ordered were badly misshapen due to poor packing, I didn't have to return them but I did get a refund for both loaves so I was happy. I find Woolies to be very accommodating and the pickers take note and act on any comments you put with your order. ;)

I buy bread at a baker or I make my own
unless the grandkids I coming over because they'll wipe out a full loaf in no time then I buy a loaf but always look at the use by date when I was young cake shops would always sell previous days bread and pastries at half price does anybody else remember this

View attachment 8880

View attachment 8879

Key Takeaways

Easy solution....I freeze all my bread and meat and get out when I need it...I only use about 1 loaf a fortnight so no waste....or alternativly make your own bread....

Reactions: Ricci
This is the biggest down fall for online shopping.
I've purchased crumpets that expired that day. Milk with 3 day expiry and I purched 4 x 3 litre.
I call and usually receive either a credit or refund.
I've also received mouldy vegies and brown fruit
i would have thought it,s in their best interest to give good quality to encourage more people to shop online . for me shopping is a hobby (bit sad) lol . i find all the staff are usually happy smiling and helpful , but then again we do live at the bay !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: RTS and Ricci

View attachment 8880

View attachment 8879

Key Takeaways

This seems to be the way for supermarkets these days what’s happening to customer service when and only when people go to another place for their shopping will it change hit them where it hurts money at the till

I have never had a problem with Woolies online. If there is say a broken egg ask “Olive“ online and a full refund occurs immediately and for anything else you are not happy with. The order pickers are very considerate when picking fresh produce and choosing alternatives.

I pretty sure they only refer to the bread in the bakery side of things fresh daily, but bread I'm sure has changed because it is going mouldy a lot quicker. I make my own and that lasts a week in the fridge. I've had a problem with yoghurt going mouldy before the use by date and have taken it back this is to Woolies and they did point out the date and as I said to them well would you eat it and they gave me my money back.

• Sad

View attachment 8880

View attachment 8879

Key Takeaways

While I can still do my own shopping I will but if the time comes and I have no other option I will make sure I stipulate what I want re use by dates and tell them just dont bother if they cannot give me what I want.

View attachment 8880

View attachment 8879

Key Takeaways

Ive stopped using Coles online, as the last time it took them 4 days to deliver my products. I ordered Sunday evening, and my shopping was unceremonily dumped on my doorstep at 6am Thursday morning. I was still asleep ( retired), and the door bell wasn't even rung. I opened my door at 8am, unaware of the delivery, to a heap of bags blocking my exit, and couldn't open the screen door. When complaining they thought it was trivial, so I won't use them again. They also lost my order the first time, and had to place it again, so my original delivery of Wednesday afternoon was lost 1/2 an hour later, so had to wait 4 days...disgusted

I buy bread at a baker or I make my own
unless the grandkids I coming over because they'll wipe out a full loaf in no time then I buy a loaf but always look at the use by date when I was young cake shops would always sell previous days bread and pastries at half price does anybody else remember this
I remember when my kids were young I would go to the local bakery on my way home from work and they used to give me the left over cream donuts. On the odd occasion I got as many as 6.
They always sold their cream cakes fresh every day.