This Bride and Groom's Unusual Money-Saving Wedding Plan is Making Guests Furious – See Why!

When it comes to weddings, we all know that the costs can quickly spiral out of control. From the venue to the flowers, the dress to the catering, every little detail adds up. It's no wonder that some couples try to find creative ways to cut corners and save a few dollars. However, one couple's attempt at frugality has left their wedding guests more than a little miffed, and it's sparked quite the conversation online.

A wedding guest recently shared their frustration on Reddit about a bride and groom's 'bizarre' plan for their reception. The couple, in a bid to save money, decided to forgo the traditional wedding reception with music and dancing at the venue. Instead, they booked a fancy mansion for the ceremony and dinner, which doesn't allow music past 9 PM. But rather than find a compromise that would allow their guests to celebrate with them into the night, they came up with an alternative that has raised eyebrows.

The bride and groom's plan? To have their guests leave the mansion by nine and reconvene at a crowded nightclub in another part of the city. The catch? The guests would have to pay their own way for the nightclub's cover charge and drinks. This 'reception' idea has left many feeling that the couple's approach to their special day is inconsiderate.

1724735946766.png
Wedding guests called reception plans 'bizarre' on social media. Credit: Unsplash

The nightclub in question isn't just any old place; it's known for its stiff cover charge and long lines. This has led to guests feeling like they're being asked to pay for the privilege of attending the reception, which traditionally is a hosted event where the newlyweds thank their guests for coming.

The Reddit community was quick to weigh in, with many sympathising with the disgruntled guest. One commenter pointed out that the primary purpose of a reception is to host and thank the guests, making the couple's choice seem particularly odd. Another called the move 'kinda low class,' while a third suggested that the couple should have simply planned a wedding within their means.

This isn't the first time a wedding reception has gone awry due to unconventional planning. Other Reddit users shared their own experiences of poorly planned receptions, including one where a couple charged a cover fee for their reception at a local bar, unbeknownst to their guests.

It's clear that while trying to save money is understandable, there's a fine line between budget-conscious and guest-conscious. A wedding is a celebration of love and union, and part of that celebration is ensuring that the guests, who often travel and spend money to attend, feel welcomed and appreciated.

Key Takeaways
  • A wedding guest has expressed her annoyance on Reddit regarding the reception plans of a wedding she is set to attend, labelling the idea 'bizarre'.
  • The bride and groom, in an effort to save money, have booked a fancy mansion that doesn't permit music after 9 PM and has decided to forgo music entirely.
  • Instead of a traditional reception, the couple is asking guests to join them at a crowded nightclub elsewhere in the city, at their own expense, for dancing and drinks.
  • Other Reddit users and guests responded by critiquing the couple's inconsiderate reception plans and sharing their own stories of wedding receptions that fell short of expectations.
For our readers at the Seniors Discount Club, we know that you've likely attended your fair share of weddings and have seen all sorts of arrangements. What do you think about this couple's reception plan? Is it a practical way to save money, or is it a step too far that overlooks the comfort and enjoyment of their guests? Have you ever experienced an unusual wedding reception setup? Share your stories and thoughts with us in the comments below – we'd love to hear about your experiences!

Sponsored
They are kind of saying, join us if you want but the reception finishes at 9pm and we are going to this nightclub. Nothing to get snarky about people
The article doesn't say that the newlyweds would also be going to the nightclub too, just that 'the guests leave the mansion by 9.00 pm & reconvene @ a crowded nightclub in another part of the city'.
With the high cost of entry into the nightclub & the fact there would be a queue, this may be another cost saver for them.
I did wonder if the newlyweds were staying at the mansion overnight & this was a way of kicking off their wedding night.

Not good at all. I truly don't understand the way some people are going about their weddings these days. There has been some strange requests of the guests.
If you can't afford a big wedding, maybe for the reception have drinks and finger foods served by hospitality staff, just have some background music do the cake and speeches.
Just maybe have a midday service and and an afternoon reception. Does not have to go for hours. You can make this arrangement just as lovely as a big reception. You do what you can afford you should not expect your guests to put their hands in their pockets. They are your guests.
Kind regards to all Vicki

I was invited once to very swish wedding where the reception was at a restaurant known for their expensive dishes but the invite said that we would be paying for our own meal and drinks except for the champagne toast. They will be having a gift registry and a wishing well at the entrance so we could choose to buy a gift or give money with a suggestion og $500 from a single guest and upwards from $750 from a couple. Needless to say I was busy that day and kept forgetting to drop by afterwards. The hide of some couples still surprises me.

I was invited once to very swish wedding where the reception was at a restaurant known for their expensive dishes but the invite said that we would be paying for our own meal and drinks except for the champagne toast. They will be having a gift registry and a wishing well at the entrance so we could choose to buy a gift or give money with a suggestion og $500 from a single guest and upwards from $750 from a couple. Needless to say I was busy that day and kept forgetting to drop by afterwards. The hide of some couples still surprises me.
I would be surprised if anyone even attended the wedding at
all what a nerve. Unbelievable.
Kind regards Vicki

Only guests worth asking would be millionaires, if they know any that is.

Not good at all. I truly don't understand the way some people are going about their weddings these days. There has been some strange requests of the guests.
If you can't afford a big wedding, maybe for the reception have drinks and finger foods served by hospitality staff, just have some background music do the cake and speeches.
Just maybe have a midday service and and an afternoon reception. Does not have to go for hours. You can make this arrangement just as lovely as a big reception. You do what you can afford you should not expect your guests to put their hands in their pockets. They are your guests.
Kind regards to all Vicki
So agree. Their wedding their choice. Why are guests expecting to spend other people’s money? They are there to celebrate the nuptials. These days the gift would not even cover the most of the meal. Ridiculous that it was to thank their guests, what gave they done to be thanked for