This Beloved Aussie Slang is Now Taboo – Find Out Which Phrase is Off-Limits!

The Australian vernacular is as rich and vibrant as the coral reefs that adorn our coasts. It's a language peppered with colloquialisms that can baffle outsiders but warm the hearts of those who understand its casual charm. However, it seems that even in the land down under, where 'G'day' and 'No worries' are as common as kangaroos, there's a shift happening in the way we communicate. A classic Aussie phrase has recently come under scrutiny, leaving many to wonder if our laid-back linguistic culture is under threat.

In a tale that has left many Aussies scratching their heads, a deli worker with over five years of experience was chastised for calling a customer 'mate'. This term, as synonymous with Australian identity as the Southern Cross, was deemed 'unprofessional' by the customer, sparking a debate about the appropriateness of such informal language in a service setting.

1728447920837.png
A customer was deemed to have been treated unprofessionally by being called 'mate' by a deli worker. Credit: Shutterstock

The incident unfolded in a fruit and vegetable shop, where the worker, a young woman known for her polite and courteous demeanour, was taken aback when a customer – believed to be Australian himself – requested she refrain from using the term. Her father shared the story on social media, expressing his confusion and concern over the changing perceptions of what constitutes professionalism.

The response online was swift and, for the most part, supportive of the deli worker. Many Aussies rallied to her defence, expressing shock that the friendly and warm phrase could cause offence. Comments ranged from empathetic to humorous, with one person quipping, 'I think old mate needs to chill out.' Others shared their own experiences, with retail workers recounting similar encounters where the term 'mate' was met with hostility.

Yet, not everyone was on the side of the colloquialism. Some argued that 'mate' is too casual for certain professional environments, suggesting that it doesn't reflect the retail relationship well. This perspective, though less popular, highlights a growing tension between traditional Aussie informality and a more polished, perhaps globalised, approach to customer service.

The debate raises important questions about the evolution of language and etiquette in the workplace. Is it possible that the Australian penchant for informality is at odds with a world that increasingly values formality and professionalism? Or is this an isolated incident, a clash of personal preferences rather than a broader cultural shift?

For many Australians, being addressed as 'mate' by a retail worker is a sign of camaraderie and approachability. It's a term that levels the playing field, embodying the egalitarian spirit that many of us hold dear. As one commenter noted, 'It's casual, but not unprofessional or rude. Australian culture is a casual culture.'

Yet, it's also important to recognise that language is fluid, and what's acceptable in one context may not be in another. While 'mate' may be perfectly appropriate in a deli, where the atmosphere is more relaxed, it might not be the best choice in a high-end boutique or a formal business meeting.

As we navigate these changing linguistic landscapes, it's crucial to maintain a balance between preserving our cultural identity and adapting to new social norms. Perhaps the key is to read the room – or the shop, in this case – and understand that the richness of the Australian language allows for both 'mate' and 'sir' to coexist, each finding their place in the diverse tapestry of our interactions.

Key Takeaways
  • A deli worker was chastised for calling a customer 'mate', which they deemed unprofessional.
  • The incident led to a debate on social media about the appropriateness of the word 'mate' in a retail setting.
  • Some social media users defended the use of 'mate' as a warm and friendly Aussie phrase, while others believed it was too casual for some professional environments.
  • Opinions were divided, with a group suggesting 'mate' is appropriate in a deli and part of Australian culture, while others argued it should be avoided in professional settings.

So, dear members of the Seniors Discount Club, we turn to you: What do you think about the use of 'mate' in customer service? Is it a term of endearment, a relic of a bygone era, or simply a word that should be used with discretion? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below – we'd love to hear your take on this uniquely Aussie debate!

Sponsored
Gosh people need to take a chill pill. We are Aussies we are a relaxed lot well we use to be. I must offended people on a daily basis. I call every one, love or darling. It's a term of endearment. My husband says mate or love to most people.
I was told off not long ago by a an older man holding a door open for me at the dr's. After l said thank you darling that was very kind. He growled. Oh don't call me darling. I was so taken a back l didn't say anything. My husband said thank you sir. I could not believe it. We are not in America where people are addressed as sir and ma'am. If people are offended by a term of endearment that is there problem. Loosen up. To have to read a room or shop to see how to address some one oh please. You are who you are. I know some won't agree with me . But l treat people with respect and affection. Their problem if they don't like it. I will not put it on because someone is of an upper class to myself.
Kind regards to all Vicki

Sounds more like someone got out of the wrong side of the bed. I was a delivery driver in Sydney many years ago. I had just finished my delivery and got in the cab of the truck to complete my paperwork, when a bloke came up to the cab window and asked if I would mover my truck. I said, "OK Mate I will not be a minute". At that I was promptly told "I am not your mate". Some people have some funny ways of taking our colloquial lingo. I would not worry about using the term "Mate" if they do not like the term "Mate" then they can deal with it.

Gosh people need to take a chill pill. We are Aussies we are a relaxed lot well we use to be. I must offended people on a daily basis. I call every one, love or darling. It's a term of endearment. My husband says mate or love to most people.
I was told off not long ago by a an older man holding a door open for me at the dr's. After l said thank you darling that was very kind. He growled. Oh don't call me darling. I was so taken a back l didn't say anything. My husband said thank you sir. I could not believe it. We are not in America where people are addressed as sir and ma'am. If people are offended by a term of endearment that is there problem. Loosen up. To have to read a room or shop to see how to address some one oh please. You are who you are. I know some won't agree with me . But l treat people with respect and affection. Their problem if they don't like it. I will not put it on because someone is of an upper class to myself.
Kind regards to all Vicki
To many @#$%& people that just get out on the wrong side of the bed every morning and take it out on everyone else.

Well I might get some blasts here but a real oldie I’m not too keen to be called mate by a stranger. I also don’t like love, just a gday or hullo is fine by me.
But on a lil different note, when I get a cab I sometimes seem to be teaching the drivers with ethnic backgrounds some of my vocab of chuck a right or left here, she’ll be right, far out, gee can’t remember others 😂 but it for me is just normal. I’ve taught my Chinese Dr a few sayings too then it can be hard to oh that means…..

Sounds more like someone got out of the wrong side of the bed. I was a delivery driver in Sydney many years ago. I had just finished my delivery and got in the cab of the truck to complete my paperwork, when a bloke came up to the cab window and asked if I would mover my truck. I said, "OK Mate I will not be a minute". At that I was promptly told "I am not your mate". Some people have some funny ways of taking our colloquial lingo. I would not worry about using the term "Mate" if they do not like the term "Mate" then they can deal with it.
Yep their problem. Cranky buggers
Kind regards Vicki

However don't tell anyone...this quintessential Australian word has French origin... it was "matelot", used on British ships in lieu of sailor🙂 Fascinating to peruse old ships manifests to see matelot abbreviated to mate for ordinary sailors, then a bit later 1st and second matelot also becoming 1st and 2nd mates🤣

Well I might get some blasts here but a real oldie I’m not too keen to be called mate by a stranger. I also don’t like love, just a gday or hullo is fine by me.
But on a lil different note, when I get a cab I sometimes seem to be teaching the drivers with ethnic backgrounds some of my vocab of chuck a right or left here, she’ll be right, far out, gee can’t remember others 😂 but it for me is just normal. I’ve taught my Chinese Dr a few sayings too then it can be hard to oh that means…..
If l meet up with you l will try to remember not to say hi love 🙀 just say G'day and l will know it's you. Hahaha everyone to their own. I was paid a lovely compliment yesterday. I was navigating the pain of changing phone companies. I said to the man l was talking to. I am not having a go at you darling but they say don't be loyal shop around. Well darling it's not easy to just change over. The man went on to explain why my land line keeps dropping out. Then said thank you for calling me darling. That is so nice to be called darling. Like l say to me darling and love is a term of endearment. I hope l don't offend anyone. Like l say everyone to their own. Keep teaching the taxi drivers.
Take care kind regards Vicki

Reactions: Littleboy8
However don't tell anyone...this quintessential Australian word has French origin... it was "matelot", used on British ships in lieu of sailor🙂 Fascinating to peruse old ships manifests to see matelot abbreviated to mate for ordinary sailors, then a bit later 1st and second matelot also becoming 1st and 2nd mates🤣
Yep, that would make sense. All of the early colonists came by ship so the word "Mate" would be well known form of addressing crew onboard a ship, and I guess the term has just persisted in Australia from there.

Reactions: Littleboy8