This Aussie's experience with an online trailer sale will make you think twice before you click 'buy'

Disclaimer: The name with an asterisk (*) has been changed to protect the person's privacy in this story.

In the digital age, online marketplaces have become a convenient platform for buying and selling goods.

However, as one Australian woman discovered, they can also be a breeding ground for scams.

Susie*, a deaf woman, and her partner were looking for a trailer online when they fell victim to a scam that cost them not only their money but also their time and trust.

She and her partner thought they had found the perfect trailer on Facebook Marketplace.

After paying a $150 deposit, they were given an address where the trailer was supposedly located. The couple drove over an hour and a half to inspect the trailer and to complete the purchase.

compressed-timothy-hales-bennett-OwvRB-M3GwE-unsplash.jpeg
Susie* discovered a trailer available for purchase on the internet and made a deposit of $150. Image source: Timothy Hales Bennett/Unsplash

As they neared the given address, Susie* received a text from the seller saying they would be late.

Despite feeling something was off, the couple decided to wait outside the house.

‘We felt very confused, tired and frustrated, waiting for them to reply,’ she said.

After waiting for over an hour with no response from the seller, they realised they had been given a fake address.

The Facebook 'seller' had impersonated other accounts to appear legitimate, a common tactic used by online scammers.

Susie* and her partner were left feeling frustrated, tired, and deceived. They had not only lost their deposit but also wasted their time driving to a false location.

She shared her story despite feeling like she was preyed upon by the scammer, hoping that it could serve as a warning to others.

'There are people selling items, using different names and then selling the same things over and over,' she said.

Despite contacting her bank the next morning, there was little they could do to retrieve her lost deposit. She also reported the incident to Facebook Marketplace, but it seemed no action was taken.

'I feel strongly that they should be watching these kinds of people or doing something about it,' Susie* said.

Meta, the company that owns Facebook, has not responded to a request for comment.

Unfortunately, Susie* is not the only victim of such scams. The SDC has reported numerous instances where cybercriminals take advantage of Australian citizens, some of which you can read here:

You can also visit our Scam Watch forum to learn more about different scams.

Victims of scams are advised to contact their financial institution immediately and report any financial losses to ReportCyber, an online police reporting portal for cyber incidents.

Scamwatch also encourages victims to report incidents to assist with education and awareness activities.

If personal information has been compromised, victims can access support from IDCARE.

Tip

If you have been scammed or know someone who has, please report it here:

ReportCyber: https://www.cyber.gov.au/report-and-recover/report

Scamwatch: https://portal.scamwatch.gov.au/report-a-scam/

IDCARE: https://www.idcare.org/

To protect yourself from falling victim to such scams, it's crucial to be vigilant when buying from online marketplaces. Here are some tips:

- Never pay a deposit before seeing the item in person.
- Be wary of sellers who insist on communicating outside the platform.
- Check the seller's profile for red flags such as a recent creation date or lack of reviews.
- If a deal seems too good to be true, it probably is.

Remember, it's always better to be safe than sorry. If you suspect a listing is fraudulent, report it to the platform and avoid further communication with the seller.

Key Takeaways
  • Susie* and her partner were scammed after paying a deposit for a trailer on Facebook Marketplace.
  • They were given a fake address and realised too late that the seller was fraudulent after driving over an hour and a half.
  • Susie* warned others about scammers impersonating legitimate accounts and re-selling the same items.
  • Despite reporting the incident to her bank and Facebook Marketplace, little action was taken; victims of scams are urged to contact their financial institution and report to ReportCyber and Scamwatch.

Have you or someone you know fallen victim to an online scam? Share your experiences and tips for avoiding scams in the comments below.

Sponsored
Why buy anything off Facebook anyway? Surely there must have been some proper local companies they could have bought a trailer from?

I don't know if it's just me, but I only use Facebook to join various groups and chat to people with same interests. I've never even thought of trying to buy anything off there. The only online buying I do is Amazon and eBay after a lot of checking what I'm buying and who the company is. Or buy from proper shops online.

They could put out hundreds of warnings a day and there'll still be people like this. 🙄
If you cannot afford brand new then Facebook Market Place is a great option , just need to take care ! Same on EBay !

Another day, another scam. Isn't the internet wonderful?

In 1994 Keating kept rabbitting on about the "information highway". Ah well, in the good old days we had honest Highway Robbers who demanded one's money or one's wife (good luck with her, mate!) whilst sitting on a horse with a brace of single shot pistols, all at the risk of being hanged or deported to Australia; at least they worked for their living!

Last edited:
Not only am I reluctant to buy anything on a marketplace site, nor will I sell anything online that involves someone coming to my home. Cannot trust anyone...ever.
As far as paying a deposit goes, absolutely not necessary, especially seeing it is a cash on collection transaction.
We are in an age of mistrust. Time to accept it.

Reactions: freedy50