SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
A

Ally Castillo

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 14, 2022
This Aussie traveller was 'wedged between two obese people' on her flight and she's not happy about it

We've all had to deal with cramped spaces and uncomfortable situations while travelling. Whether it's the crying baby from a few rows behind, a very chatty passenger, or the turbulence that has you gripping your armrests for dear life, these situations are just things we have to put up with from time to time.

But sometimes, the situation can be so bad that it really gets on your nerves. This is exactly what happened to one Australian woman who was left fuming after she was ‘sandwiched’ between two obese people on a recent flight.

There's nothing worse than being squished between two strangers on public transport, is there? It's even worse when maybe those people are a little larger than average. But what do you do in that situation? Smile awkwardly and pray for the best? Suffer in silence?

Well, for Australian-American political commentator Sydney Watson, she opted to vent her frustrations on the popular social media platform, Twitter.

Fcuk2tgWIAAa7Bg.jpg
Sydney Watson wants ‘reparations’ for her less-than-stellar flight experience. Credit: SydneyLWatson on Twitter

On October 11, she started a Twitter thread describing her flight experience. ‘I am currently – literally – wedged between two obese people on my flight,’ she said.

‘This is absolutely NOT acceptable or okay. If fat people want to be fat, fine. But it is something else entirely when I’m stuck between you, with your arm rolls on my body, for three hours.’ She continued her rant in a series of tweets while posting pictures of her predicament.

syd.JPG
Sydney says that there’s no room for personal space. Credit: SydneyLWatson on Twitter.

‘I don’t care if this is mean. My entire body is currently being touched against my wishes. I can’t even put the armrests down on either side because there’s no f***ing room.’ She also added that she’s ‘sick of acting like fatness to this extent is normal’ and that obese people should either ‘buy two seats or don’t fly’ at all.

Sydney wrote that she offered to swap seats with one of the passengers, asking if he and his sister would like to sit together. When the man responded with, ‘No, that’s okay,’ Sydney started ‘shrieking internally’.

Her outrage caught the attention of American Airlines, who responded with a formal apology. ‘Our passengers come in all different sizes and shapes. We’re sorry you were uncomfortable on your flight.’

FfTa--cVEAEwcmX.jpg
American Airlines’ official statement and apology. Credit: SydneyLWatson on Twitter

Sydney was offered $150 worth of ‘Trip Credits’ as reparation for her unhappiness. However, she declined this gesture and said that she’d rather be given a refund. Some of her followers sympathised with Sydney’s experience, sharing similar flight experiences.

Others pointed out that it’s the airline’s fault for making seats smaller to ‘squeeze’ in more profits out of the flights. One person even replied to the thread, saying that if the airline knows passengers come in all sizes, then the seats should be able to accommodate those sizes.

Key Takeaways

• Sydney Watson, an Aussie traveller has gone on an explosive rant on social media after she was ‘wedged between two obese people’ on a plane.
  • She took a swipe at the ‘overweight’ passengers after an uncomfortable three-hour flight on October 11.
  • After expressing her outrage in a string of tweets, American Airlines responded: ‘Our passengers come in all different sizes and shapes. We’re sorry you were uncomfortable on your flight’.
  • She declined the airline's offer of a $150 credit, saying: ‘I’d rather take the $150 American Airlines offered me as a refund and give it to someone who needs a personal trainer or a gym membership’.
Well, what do you think about this, dear members? Do you think Sydney is overreacting? Or are airlines supposed to adjust seat sizes to accommodate everyone? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!

It’s not pleasant sitting squished beside a morbidly obese person. I have been that person where my fellow passenger required a seatbelt extension to accommodate his giant sweaty frame. No amount of moral compass can sugarcoat how my personal space was compromised as his size encroached into my seat space and we touched for the entire flight from shoulder to knee. It was dreadful bordering on distressing for me and until you’ve experienced similar, don’t be quick to judge. I am not prejudice to obesity but put into perspective the reality of how it impacts others.

I would be asking for a different seat
It seems that this option wasn't available.
Was it, and no-one tried to make it happen?
Don't know, but you paid for your seat, you didn't pay for someone to part share it with you. I think a refund (or partial) would have been more appropriate and more acceptable.

Reactions: Jennie
In my opinion, the problem is not with obese people but with the ridiculous sizes of airline seats. The average width of an airline seat is only 17 inches. It's time airlines stopped squashing us into tiny seats like sardines. (P.S. I am not obese).

Last edited:
This Aussie traveller was 'wedged between two obese people' on her flight and she's not happy about it

We've all had to deal with cramped spaces and uncomfortable situations while travelling. Whether it's the crying baby from a few rows behind, a very chatty passenger, or the turbulence that has you gripping your armrests for dear life, these situations are just things we have to put up with from time to time.

But sometimes, the situation can be so bad that it really gets on your nerves. This is exactly what happened to one Australian woman who was left fuming after she was ‘sandwiched’ between two obese people on a recent flight.

There's nothing worse than being squished between two strangers on public transport, is there? It's even worse when maybe those people are a little larger than average. But what do you do in that situation? Smile awkwardly and pray for the best? Suffer in silence?

Well, for Australian-American political commentator Sydney Watson, she opted to vent her frustrations on the popular social media platform, Twitter.

View attachment 7528
Sydney Watson wants ‘reparations’ for her less-than-stellar flight experience. Credit: SydneyLWatson on Twitter

On October 11, she started a Twitter thread describing her flight experience. ‘I am currently – literally – wedged between two obese people on my flight,’ she said.

‘This is absolutely NOT acceptable or okay. If fat people want to be fat, fine. But it is something else entirely when I’m stuck between you, with your arm rolls on my body, for three hours.’ She continued her rant in a series of tweets while posting pictures of her predicament.

View attachment 7530
Sydney says that there’s no room for personal space. Credit: SydneyLWatson on Twitter.

‘I don’t care if this is mean. My entire body is currently being touched against my wishes. I can’t even put the armrests down on either side because there’s no f***ing room.’ She also added that she’s ‘sick of acting like fatness to this extent is normal’ and that obese people should either ‘buy two seats or don’t fly’ at all.

Sydney wrote that she offered to swap seats with one of the passengers, asking if he and his sister would like to sit together. When the man responded with, ‘No, that’s okay,’ Sydney started ‘shrieking internally’.

Her outrage caught the attention of American Airlines, who responded with a formal apology. ‘Our passengers come in all different sizes and shapes. We’re sorry you were uncomfortable on your flight.’

View attachment 7529
American Airlines’ official statement and apology. Credit: SydneyLWatson on Twitter

Sydney was offered $150 worth of ‘Trip Credits’ as reparation for her unhappiness. However, she declined this gesture and said that she’d rather be given a refund. Some of her followers sympathised with Sydney’s experience, sharing similar flight experiences.

Others pointed out that it’s the airline’s fault for making seats smaller to ‘squeeze’ in more profits out of the flights. One person even replied to the thread, saying that if the airline knows passengers come in all sizes, then the seats should be able to accommodate those sizes.

Key Takeaways

• Sydney Watson, an Aussie traveller has gone on an explosive rant on social media after she was ‘wedged between two obese people’ on a plane.
  • She took a swipe at the ‘overweight’ passengers after an uncomfortable three-hour flight on October 11.
  • After expressing her outrage in a string of tweets, American Airlines responded: ‘Our passengers come in all different sizes and shapes. We’re sorry you were uncomfortable on your flight’.
  • She declined the airline's offer of a $150 credit, saying: ‘I’d rather take the $150 American Airlines offered me as a refund and give it to someone who needs a personal trainer or a gym membership’.
Well, what do you think about this, dear members? Do you think Sydney is overreacting? Or are airlines supposed to adjust seat sizes to accommodate everyone? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!
I think she should stop winging.

I don't know why greed is so accepted and celebrated. Airlines using minuscule seating [greed] and self-indulgent obese people [greed] getting two seats with one vacant in the middle, sure it's a good ploy at less busy times, BUT at peak times it's inevitable this seat will be allocated. Yes I agree with the complainant. It is extremely uncomfortable to be crowded in, especially in that manner.

What a sooky la la! At least she got her photo in the "complaint" video! Ever think may be your perfume or lack of it may upset the next person, or your hair in their coffee behind you, or the spoilt brat chucking a tantrum across the aisle, or the noisy friends discussing their weekend adventures! There is always something to whinge about. Build a bridge people and put the blame where it belongs - with the airline company that has no respect for space by putting miniscule seats on top of one another with no leg room in between the rows.

View attachment 7528

View attachment 7530

View attachment 7529

Key Takeaways

I think people should be kind to each other some people have medical issues and should be be given their space too. Planes are small on space at the best of times so feel no one should uncomfortable at time of booking may be the time to say you are a larger framed person so boarding passes can cater for this.

Reactions: Rosalie30
I am a larger lady and I feel that it is the airline obligation to provide me with a comfortable seat as it should for others. The seats are to small for everyone to sit in for hours. The larger travellers would have felt uncomfortable as well.

Reactions: relljube and Marj53

View attachment 7528

View attachment 7530

View attachment 7529

Key Takeaways

She should get a full monetary refund.
However; its definitely unacceptable to fat shame people, when she doesn't know their medical history. Furthermore, it wasn't their fault. Blame the greedy airlines, for trying to get the maximum amount of bums on seats, for maximum profits.

Recently returned to Australia on a 5 hour flight from Bali. We were ok, but the couple opposite had to put up with a larger gentleman in a singlet, sweating profusely and unable or unwilling to use deodorant who sat at the window seat. He made frequent toilet trips so shared his powerful aroma throughout the aircraft. Not at all pleasant. Unfortunately it was a busy flight with no spare seats. 🙁

Reactions: Jennie
Does size really matter, they are human beings after all and should be treated with respect no matter the size. They did not ask to be put each side of you, the hostess should have rectified the problem.
Grow up if that is you’re only problem, you are very fortunate.

I have an obese friend who always books and pays for 2 seats. That is called manners and respect. Yes she has a medical condition which causes this issue. Her heart is as big as she is . I agree with most of the comments that if someone wants to play the blame game.....who allocates the seats.

And yet again,as a larger person,I find myself feeling obligated to apologise for wanting to share the same space as the rest of the world. How shocking of me for expecting to be able to fly in a plane just like anyone else. Of course,I should be relegated elsewhere,to be uncomfortable and out of sight of all the beautiful people. God forbid my hideous self should offend their eyes! Let me tell you,that I am larger thru no fault of my own. I eat very little but my life is mostly sedentary owing to various lung issues and other things which is no ones damned business. Medication I take to be alive balloons my once petite figure and now I’m a larger lady. You have NO IDEA how hard it is to try to travel like everybody else. Those seats in planes are small enough but I also have to face the humiliation of requesting seatbelt extenders. I can’t eat on the plane because those dinky trays don’t fit on me…not that I would. The looks of disgust from fellow passengers stop me in my tracks. I mean,how dare the fat lady eat,right? I’m so sick of apologising for myself. Why can’t people just be kinder and a little more tolerant. You have no idea what is going on in someones life…just be kind. It won’t kill you.

Obese people have as much right as anyone else to fly. They paid for their tickets the same as you did. Not all overweight people are obese due to overeating, for some it is due to medical problems and medications. Don't criticise unless you know the full story & be thankful that you don't have one of those problems. Would you like to be continually picked on for being too skinny.