This 78-year-old pensioner was hit with a shocking rent hike despite her ‘immaculate’ home

The Australian rental market can be a challenging landscape to navigate, especially for those on a fixed income.

This is a reality that 78-year-old pensioner Anne-Marie Petrucco knows all too well.

Despite maintaining her rental property in pristine condition and even contributing to its upgrades, she was recently hit with a staggering rent increase that has left her questioning the fairness of the rental market.

Ms Petrucco, a resident of Mitchell Park suburb in Melbourne, has been living in her two-bedroom house for nearly three years.

She takes great pride in her home, keeping it 'immaculate' and paying half the $2,500 bill to install an air conditioner in the unit. Nevertheless, she was recently informed that her rent would increase by $98 per week—from $232 to $330.

Photo_20231121_090705_0000.png
Ms Petrucco’s rent will increase from $232 to $330 weekly. Credit: Facebook, Shutterstock

Apart from the added cost of the air conditioner instalment, Ms Petrucco also paid $385 for a front security fly wire door.

Ms Petrucco shared her plight on social media, writing about the drastic changes she plans to make to afford rent. She thinks about limiting her social activities and cutting back on Christmas presents for her grandchildren.

‘I've contacted all the powers to be including, state politics. All to no avail,’ she added. She also mentioned contacting Centrelink but received ‘no more help’ than what she’s currently getting.

Despite these challenges, Ms Petrucco remains positive, writing, 'I'm not complaining and by the Grace of God know I will survive.'

‘Take a day at a time, have faith and yes, cut down on things. And you will get through. Good luck to all,’ she added.

compressed-chris-robert--ryDtcapIas-unsplash.jpeg
Ms Petrucco stated that she lived in the rental property for nearly three years and kept the place ‘immaculate’. Credit: chris robert/Unsplash

Ms Petrucco's story has sparked outrage and sympathy from the community.

‘Really feel for you, you poor woman. So unfair, to be close to 80 and have those fears, can only wish you the best,’ one social media user commented.

‘What a hike. So sorry to hear. Blessings to you,’ another said.

Some have pointed fingers at real estate agents, accusing them of pushing for rent increases to earn more commission. Others have blamed the federal government for not doing enough to protect renters.

Ms Petrucco also discovered her real estate agent was leasing out a three-bedroom home just a few doors away from her two-bedroom for the same price.

‘It doesn't make sense,’ she stated.

Unfortunately, Ms Petrucco's situation is not unique. Across Australia, many pensioners and low-income earners are feeling the pinch as rental prices continue to rise.

A social media user shared a similar story about a senior receiving a rent increase.

‘I know [an] elderly man that's 82 and his private landlord has put his rent up in the granny flat from $90 to $190 per week and now the landlord has put [the] rent up to $500 per week,’ they wrote.

For a single person, the aged pension is $1,096.70 per fortnight, which is approximately $28,514 per year.

For a couple, it is $826.70 per fortnight or $21,494 per year (each). With rental prices increasing, many find it difficult to make ends meet.

Ms Petrucco said: ‘Regardless of what anyone says, an increase of basically $200.00 per fortnight from pension is huge. 3/4 of our pension.’

In Victoria, there are no laws specifying how much a rental provider can increase the rent.

While a rental provider can't increase the rent during a fixed-term agreement (unless the rental agreement allows for it), the law doesn't specify exactly how much a rental provider can put the rent up.

However, the rental provider is required to give the renter a Notice of Rent Increase form at least 60 days prior to the start of the increase.

Renters can request Consumer Affairs Victoria to investigate and issue a report on rent increases if they believe the increase is beyond the market range.

In the past 12 months, tenants in Victoria filed 5,400 challenges against rent hikes, a 120 per cent increase from the previous year.

It is worth noting that the median weekly rental cost for a house in regional Victoria is $420.

Key Takeaways
  • A 78-year-old pensioner, Anne-Marie Petrucco, revealed her rent is increasing by $98 per week, taking it from $232 to $330 per week, despite keeping her home in immaculate condition.
  • Ms Petrucco said she must restrict her social life and cut down on spending due to the rent increase.
  • In Victoria, there are no regulations on how much a landlord can increase the rent, though renters can ask Consumer Affairs Victoria to investigate unreasonably high increases.
  • Victorian tenants lodged a record-breaking 5,400 challenges against rent increases in the past year, a 120 per cent increase from the previous year.

What are your thoughts on this issue, members? Have you or someone you know experienced a similar situation? Share your experiences and thoughts in the comments below.

Sponsored
The Australian rental market can be a challenging landscape to navigate, especially for those on a fixed income.

This is a reality that 78-year-old pensioner Anne-Marie Petrucco knows all too well.

Despite maintaining her rental property in pristine condition and even contributing to its upgrades, she was recently hit with a staggering rent increase that has left her questioning the fairness of the rental market.

Ms Petrucco, a resident of Mitchell Park suburb in Melbourne, has been living in her two-bedroom house for nearly three years.

She takes great pride in her home, keeping it 'immaculate' and paying half the $2,500 bill to install an air conditioner in the unit. Nevertheless, she was recently informed that her rent would increase by $98 per week—from $232 to $330.

View attachment 35312
Ms Petrucco’s rent will increase from $232 to $330 weekly. Credit: Facebook, Shutterstock

Apart from the added cost of the air conditioner instalment, Ms Petrucco also paid $385 for a front security fly wire door.

Ms Petrucco shared her plight on social media, writing about the drastic changes she plans to make to afford rent. She thinks about limiting her social activities and cutting back on Christmas presents for her grandchildren.

‘I've contacted all the powers to be including, state politics. All to no avail,’ she added. She also mentioned contacting Centrelink but received ‘no more help’ than what she’s currently getting.

Despite these challenges, Ms Petrucco remains positive, writing, 'I'm not complaining and by the Grace of God know I will survive.'

‘Take a day at a time, have faith and yes, cut down on things. And you will get through. Good luck to all,’ she added.

View attachment 35313
Ms Petrucco stated that she lived in the rental property for nearly three years and kept the place ‘immaculate’. Credit: chris robert/Unsplash

‘Really feel for you, you poor woman. So unfair, to be close to 80 and have those fears, can only wish you the best,’ one social media user commented.

Some have pointed fingers at real estate agents, accusing them of pushing for rent increases to earn more commission. Others have blamed the federal government for not doing enough to protect renters.

Ms Petrucco also discovered her real estate agent was leasing out a three-bedroom home just a few doors away from her two-bedroom for the same price.

Unfortunately, Ms Petrucco's situation is not unique. Across Australia, many pensioners and low-income earners are feeling the pinch as rental prices continue to rise.

A social media user shared a similar story about a senior receiving a rent increase.

‘I know [an] elderly man that's 82 and his private landlord has put his rent up in the granny flat from $90 to $190 per week and now the landlord has put [the] rent up to $500 per week,’ they wrote.

For a single person, the aged pension is $1,096.70 per fortnight, which is approximately $28,514 per year.

For a couple, it is $826.70 per fortnight or $21,494 per year (each). With rental prices increasing, many find it difficult to make ends meet.

Ms Petrucco said: ‘Regardless of what anyone says, an increase of basically $200.00 per fortnight from pension is huge. 3/4 of our pension.’

In Victoria, there are no laws specifying how much a rental provider can increase the rent.

While a rental provider can't increase the rent during a fixed-term agreement (unless the rental agreement allows for it), the law doesn't specify exactly how much a rental provider can put the rent up.

However, the rental provider is required to give the renter a Notice of Rent Increase form at least 60 days prior to the start of the increase.

Renters can request Consumer Affairs Victoria to investigate and issue a report on rent increases if they believe the increase is beyond the market range.

In the past 12 months, tenants in Victoria filed 5,400 challenges against rent hikes, a 120 per cent increase from the previous year.

It is worth noting that the median weekly rental cost for a house in regional Victoria is $420.

Key Takeaways

• A 78-year-old pensioner, Anne-Marie Petrucco, revealed her rent is increasing by $98 per week, taking it from $232 to $330 per week, despite keeping her home in immaculate condition.
  • Ms Petrucco said she must restrict her social life and cut down on spending due to the rent increase.
  • In Victoria, there are no regulations on how much a landlord can increase the rent, though renters can ask Consumer Affairs Victoria to investigate unreasonably high increases.
  • Victorian tenants lodged a record-breaking 5,400 challenges against rent increases in the past year, a 120 per cent increase from the previous year.

What are your thoughts on this issue, members? Have you or someone you know experienced a similar situation? Share your experiences and thoughts in the comments below.
It would be worth her while to see if she can contact the actual owner. The owners often have no idea that the agents are treating the tenants this way. I know this from personal experience. I’ve twice now had owners visit me and it turned out that they had no idea of the things that the agents were doing. Both time the owners overuled the agents, and in one case they removed their property from the agents

It would be worth her while to see if she can contact the actual owner. The owners often have no idea that the agents are treating the tenants this way. I know this from personal experience. I’ve twice now had owners visit me and it turned out that they had no idea of the things that the agents were doing. Both time the owners overuled the agents, and in one case they removed their property from the agents
The agents are lower than sharke shite. My rent went from $690 to $835 a week. the agent gets a kickback from that..... go to the ACCC or the landlord and tenants association and you will find out how gutless and toothless they are. It's all in the $$$$$

View attachment 35312

View attachment 35313

Key Takeaways

I'm in Queensland and a friend of mine lives in a house owned by a Victorian. Every year for the last 3 years her rent has gone up by $100 per week. This lady just turned 60 and works 3 jobs just to live. She hangs on because there are so many homeless people in this State. I really feel for Ms Petrucco, Greedy people make me so angry. They should be jailed for fraud and theft.

I'm in Queensland and a friend of mine lives in a house owned by a Victorian. Every year for the last 3 years her rent has gone up by $100 per week. This lady just turned 60 and works 3 jobs just to live. She hangs on because there are so many homeless people in this State. I really feel for Ms Petrucco, Greedy people make me so angry. They should be jailed for fraud and theft.
Stoned in a public forum I say.....

View attachment 35312

View attachment 35313

Key Takeaways

Been there done that unfortunately, our Rent went from $420 to $630and there was nothing we could do about it, but bite the bullet, and search for a a new rental 😀 we found one in Tweed Heads, this was after having to put furniture in storage and pay for a truck to move out and move into new place It just gets harder when you get older. Still feel for other people that go thru this.

Reactions: magpie1

View attachment 35312

View attachment 35313

Key Takeaways

No need for the huge increases, aged pensioners are targeted constantly -these real estate companies (and some property owners) are just money hungry low lifes, would they be increasing the rent so much if it was a family member😡

Reactions: IAN3005
No need for the huge increases, aged pensioners are targeted constantly -these real estate companies (and some property owners) are just money hungry low lifes, would they be increasing the rent so much if it was a family member😡
As I said.... lower that shark shite......

View attachment 35312

View attachment 35313

Key Takeaways

It is about time the Disgusting Government Got of There Backside’s to help these elderly people they helped make the Country You Now Live In What Comfort this Country Has
Help..... anyone who believes this is delusional..... the only people they help are themselves....

Reactions: magpie1 and BJM
My wife and I are in our 70s and we live in QLD
We have been renting the same property for the last 9 years.Our lease was due for renewal and they put the rent up buy 100 dollars per week .we are pensioners and we don’t know where we will find the money to pay this increase the only place is reduce the amount of electricity we use and cut down on food I sympathise with anybody in the same position

• Sad
This is so true. We as owners.of a rental dealt with our tenants personally as the agent was never following up on issues as he had been advised to

Reactions: BJM

View attachment 35312

View attachment 35313

Key Takeaways

So many greedy people and businesses these days. Greed is NOT good!

I am $1,060 a month behind the eight-ball. I have made arrangements to live out of my car. Only a matter of time.

View attachment 35312

View attachment 35313

Key Takeaways

Arsehole landlord 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

I agree it is a sad state of affairs - but owners have had to put up with huge mortgage land rate and water increases.increases, as well as

Reactions: IAN3005
I agree it is a sad state of affairs - but owners have had to put up with huge mortgage land rate and water increases.increases, as well as
As if they give 2 shi**. The holey $$$$ reigns supreme.....