This 70-year-old woman moved six times within a span of nine years due to the housing crisis

Keeping a roof over your head takes on a whole other meaning when home for you may not be permanent, and Lesley Scott-Smith, 70, knows this feeling all too well.

After being forced to move for the sixth time in nine years due to the increasing rent prices, Lesley, who used to be the one helping those going through tough times, had to rely on others to keep her stable.

'I'm now using those same organisations to get myself through life,' she said.

'I don't find it ironic—I find it very sad and quite worrying.'

photo (1).jpg
Lesley now has to rely on charities to help her move houses due to an increase in her rental dues. Image source: Freepik.

Lesley had moved into her Morwell residence only 12 months earlier in the hopes it would be her last move until she moved into aged care.

But when she was hit with a huge rent increase of an additional $60 a week, which made her rent 55 per cent of her income, Lesley had to move once again.

'I've enjoyed living here, and I didn't want to move,' she said.

'But the minute that letter came and said $290 a week, I thought, “That's it.”'

Lesley felt overwhelmed with the thought of needing to move again.

'I can’t do it myself—I’ve got scoliosis, I have two forms of arthritis, I need a shoulder replacement and two hip replacements,' Lesley said.

'The amount of time that I can stand would be 10 minutes.'

'Bending to put things into packing boxes—that is extremely hard.'

When Lesley last moved, she had saved enough to pay someone to help her move. However, as her next move was sudden, she shared she did not have the same luxury this time around.

With family living far away and her one friend in the area also dealing with her own health issues, Lesley had to resort to charities for help.

'I'll have to bring the charities [in to help me].'

'I'll ring around and see if I can get a handy volunteer to come and give me a couple of hours, [a] couple of times a week.'

It was a bittersweet win when she was accepted to a new place in Rosedale after only three applications—but this was after she had to apply to 43 places before moving into her last residence in Morwell, and the 38 applications for the property she lived in before Morwell.

'You get to the stage where you just get so good at applications,' Ms Scott-Smith shared.

'What people do that aren't internet savvy or don't have the computer skills and everything that I have … I don't know how they cope.'

Council on the Ageing (COTA) and Senior Rights Victoria reportedly saw an increase in calls on their helplines due to rental stress and housing issues, and Ben Rogers, COTA Policy and Advocacy Manager, said that assuming most older people owned their own homes was a common misconception.

'Increasingly, we are seeing a growing number of older people being impacted by these rent rises,' Mr Rogers said.

He shared that it’s difficult for seniors to find extra income when the rent and prices of other necessities are also rising.

'It's taking from a static income, and it means that someone's money—whether that's their superannuation, pension, or their earnings—often has to go further,' he added.

'We know from research that older people in particular are willing to go through a hell of a lot and put themselves in danger … to make sure that they are not in debt.'

'Our concern is that we're going to see more cases like Lesley in the coming years, and therefore, we need a more holistic response to how we support ageing.'

Lesley is hoping that this time, this will be the last move she has to make.

'What really kills me is…my age and that this is supposed to be a lovely, relaxed time,' Lesley said.

'I'm supposed to be using all my nice wool to knit a big rug and do all this, and I haven't touched it because there's been so much worry and so much organising of my life to do, through charities and through welfare, that I can't relax for five minutes.'

'That's [been] very, very difficult.'
Key Takeaways
  • Lesley Scott-Smith, a 70-year-old Victorian woman, has been forced to move for the sixth time in nine years due to increasing rental costs.
  • Ms Scott-Smith suffers from scoliosis, two forms of arthritis and needs various joint replacements, factors which make the physical process of moving more challenging. She now has to rely on charities to help with the move.
  • Council on the Ageing (COTA) and Senior Rights Victoria reported an increase in calls due to rental stress and housing issues among older populations.
  • Ms Scott-Smith, like many senior Australians, is finding it increasingly difficult to manage on a static income when rent and the prices of other necessities are on the rise.
Members, do any of you relate to Lesley’s story? Is there a silver lining you can share that Lesley and other members might appreciate? Share them in the comments below.

Sponsored
Lesley i
Keeping a roof over your head takes on a whole other meaning when home for you may not be permanent, and Lesley Scott-Smith, 70, knows this feeling all too well.

After being forced to move for the sixth time in nine years due to the increasing rent prices, Lesley, who used to be the one helping those going through tough times, had to rely on others to keep her stable.

'I'm now using those same organisations to get myself through life,' she said.

'I don't find it ironic—I find it very sad and quite worrying.'

View attachment 30731
Lesley now has to rely on charities to help her move houses due to an increase in her rental dues. Image source: Freepik.

Lesley had moved into her Morwell residence only 12 months earlier in the hopes it would be her last move until she moved into aged care.

But when she was hit with a huge rent increase of an additional $60 a week, which made her rent 55 per cent of her income, Lesley had to move once again.

'I've enjoyed living here, and I didn't want to move,' she said.

'But the minute that letter came and said $290 a week, I thought, “That's it.”'

Lesley felt overwhelmed with the thought of needing to move again.

'I can’t do it myself—I’ve got scoliosis, I have two forms of arthritis, I need a shoulder replacement and two hip replacements,' Lesley said.

'The amount of time that I can stand would be 10 minutes.'

'Bending to put things into packing boxes—that is extremely hard.'

When Lesley last moved, she had saved enough to pay someone to help her move. However, as her next move was sudden, she shared she did not have the same luxury this time around.

With family living far away and her one friend in the area also dealing with her own health issues, Lesley had to resort to charities for help.

'I'll have to bring the charities [in to help me].'

'I'll ring around and see if I can get a handy volunteer to come and give me a couple of hours, [a] couple of times a week.'

It was a bittersweet win when she was accepted to a new place in Rosedale after only three applications—but this was after she had to apply to 43 places before moving into her last residence in Morwell, and the 38 applications for the property she lived in before Morwell.

'You get to the stage where you just get so good at applications,' Ms Scott-Smith shared.

'What people do that aren't internet savvy or don't have the computer skills and everything that I have … I don't know how they cope.'

Council on the Ageing (COTA) and Senior Rights Victoria reportedly saw an increase in calls on their helplines due to rental stress and housing issues, and Ben Rogers, COTA Policy and Advocacy Manager, said that assuming most older people owned their own homes was a common misconception.

'Increasingly, we are seeing a growing number of older people being impacted by these rent rises,' Mr Rogers said.

He shared that it’s difficult for seniors to find extra income when the rent and prices of other necessities are also rising.

'It's taking from a static income, and it means that someone's money—whether that's their superannuation, pension, or their earnings—often has to go further,' he added.

'We know from research that older people in particular are willing to go through a hell of a lot and put themselves in danger … to make sure that they are not in debt.'

'Our concern is that we're going to see more cases like Lesley in the coming years, and therefore, we need a more holistic response to how we support ageing.'

Lesley is hoping that this time, this will be the last move she has to make.

'What really kills me is…my age and that this is supposed to be a lovely, relaxed time,' Lesley said.

'I'm supposed to be using all my nice wool to knit a big rug and do all this, and I haven't touched it because there's been so much worry and so much organising of my life to do, through charities and through welfare, that I can't relax for five minutes.'

'That's [been] very, very difficult.'
Key Takeaways

• Lesley Scott-Smith, a 70-year-old Victorian woman, has been forced to move for the sixth time in nine years due to increasing rental costs.
  • Ms Scott-Smith suffers from scoliosis, two forms of arthritis and needs various joint replacements, factors which make the physical process of moving more challenging. She now has to rely on charities to help with the move.
  • Council on the Ageing (COTA) and Senior Rights Victoria reported an increase in calls due to rental stress and housing issues among older populations.
  • Ms Scott-Smith, like many senior Australians, is finding it increasingly difficult to manage on a static income when rent and the prices of other necessities are on the rise.
Members, do any of you relate to Lesley’s story? Is there a silver lining you can share that Lesley and other members might appreciate? Share them in the comments below.

I too need to move. I live on a property in the country in a huge house, alone, with 9ft. ceilings. The house is situated in an area with no transport and I don't drive. The property is 41 ac. and I cannot look after it. I do have some health issues at the age of 80 but am told I am good for my age. How does one look for another home closer in to shops etc. when one has no transport. I get taken to food shops once a fortnight. However I don't see human beings for 2 weeks at a time so it's a good job I like animals - have plenty of birds, kangaroos etc. Husband died 2 years ago - he was the driver! Life seems to get harder the older one gets!

Lesley is lucky that she lives in Morwell and not in or near a capital city.

On the NSW Central Coast it is almost impossible to find even a very basic bed sitter for under $300.

I too am an aged pensioner in my 70s. In the first half of last year it took me 4 months to secure a bed sitter for 55% of my fortnightly income. The situation has worsened in the the subsequent 14 months with availability of affordable rental accommodation for singles almost completely drying up.

I hope that my landlord is not looking to apply a rental increase in the foreseeable future.

I hear much spoken about the plight of single mothers fleeing home violence yet nothing being spoken about the plight of single aged pensioners.

$60 a week increase, time landlords were held to account, that is utterly disgraceful.
It’s a sad situation when the elderly are left struggling to find accommodation and being priced out because of their inability to pay high prices. Surely they deserve better than this working alltheir lives paying taxes and it’s come not this the so called lucky country.

There's a 2-bedroom unit in Helen st Morewell for $250 a week. Aged pension plus rental assistance probably better off than a homeowner with rates and maintenance.

Reactions: Jennie and Macarj
I am very happy living in my Granny Flat here in Wollongong. I live alone with my dog and am grateful for my situation being an aged pensioner. I moved here 3 years ago after the owners of my nice unit decided to sell up and I was not confident about my future there. I found my Granny Flat online and made an application. I went for a viewing and there was a queue of people. I took my puppy with me who was only about 8 months old with me and I am sure he won the owner's hearts as we subsequently were approved for the place. I borrowed the bond via the government assistance program plus the first week's rent and lived there happily for the first 12 months. The rent was $295.00 per week inclusive of all charges (electricity etc.). When the lease came to an end the Landlord used his rights to terminate that lease and offer the property out on a new lease. I talked with him (an accountant) and he said he was not getting a reasonable return on his investment. I did not, could not move anywhere else so I had to accept the new lease of $340.00 per week plus electricity which relates to an increase in total of approximately $100.00 per week, a shock to the system. I am very concerned about what is going to happen at Christmas when this existing lease terminates. I am having sleepless nights about it. I am on the priority listing with the housing commission and am getting no help at all. They offered me one property of a flat on the first floor of a block of units. That was totally impossible for me and they obviously never bothered to read my needs which are on file. Oh well, I guess I will have to wait and see if I am homeless around the beginning of the new year.

I am very happy living in my Granny Flat here in Wollongong. I live alone with my dog and am grateful for my situation being an aged pensioner. I moved here 3 years ago after the owners of my nice unit decided to sell up and I was not confident about my future there. I found my Granny Flat online and made an application. I went for a viewing and there was a queue of people. I took my puppy with me who was only about 8 months old with me and I am sure he won the owner's hearts as we subsequently were approved for the place. I borrowed the bond via the government assistance program plus the first week's rent and lived there happily for the first 12 months. The rent was $295.00 per week inclusive of all charges (electricity etc.). When the lease came to an end the Landlord used his rights to terminate that lease and offer the property out on a new lease. I talked with him (an accountant) and he said he was not getting a reasonable return on his investment. I did not, could not move anywhere else so I had to accept the new lease of $340.00 per week plus electricity which relates to an increase in total of approximately $100.00 per week, a shock to the system. I am very concerned about what is going to happen at Christmas when this existing lease terminates. I am having sleepless nights about it. I am on the priority listing with the housing commission and am getting no help at all. They offered me one property of a flat on the first floor of a block of units. That was totally impossible for me and they obviously never bothered to read my needs which are on file. Oh well, I guess I will have to wait and see if I am homeless around the beginning of the new year.
My heart goes out to you to see so many in such dire situations is really incomprehensible, what is happening in our once wonderful country.
It beggars belief.

Reactions: Macarj and Gsr
My heart goes out to you to see so many in such dire situations is really incomprehensible, what is happening in our once wonderful country.
It beggars belief.
Leenie, thank you for your comment, it is appreciated. It is not our wonderful country (i.e. the people) that is the issue. The people are kind-hearted and generous more than any other part of the world. It is the greed of major institutions such as electricity providers etc. and also the unbalanced views of the Government who only have billions of dollars of surplus in their most recent budget. Surely they can spare a few billion to look after the older Australians who probably caused this surplus.

Leenie, thank you for your comment, it is appreciated. It is not our wonderful country (i.e. the people) that is the issue. The people are kind-hearted and generous more than any other part of the world. It is the greed of major institutions such as electricity providers etc. and also the unbalanced views of the Government who only have billions of dollars of surplus in their most recent budget. Surely they can spare a few billion to look after the older Australians who probably caused this surplus.
They are too busy sending it overseas we are last in their priorities, what happened to the decent politicians we once had .

There's a 2-bedroom unit in Helen st Morewell for $250 a week. Aged pension plus rental assistance probably better off than a homeowner with rates and maintenance.
That is really cheap for rent anywhere these days. I’ve been helping my sister look for a rental in the NSW Hunter Valley, Mid North Coast areas and there is nothing under $350 a week, and that is a 1 bedrooms unit, everything else goes up from there. Even old rundown houses are $450+ a week. I’m sure there are a lot of greedy landlords preying on desperate people.

My heart goes out to you older singles struggling to pay rent and everything else. We can only hope laws will come in soon to stop landlords being so greedy!

Reactions: Leenie
Have you considered moving to a retirement village where you don’t have to move from?

Have you considered moving to a retirement village where you don’t have to move from?
Last place I would consider going into, I would rather live in a tent as they much better now than when I was growing up. Had experience when my late husband was there for respite. As my friend Pam said who works in one she would rather go out in the bush and off herself ,that speaks volumes.

Reactions: Littleboy8