This 56-year-old TV star is an unexpected new mum

Is age really just a number? For TV star Claudia Raia, that seems to be the case. Because when she was advised to take a pregnancy test, the 56-year-old thought that her doctor was crazy.

So, imagine her surprise when the test came back positive!

Late last year, Brazilian actress Claudia Raia announced that she was pregnant with her first child from her marriage to fellow actor, Jarbas Homem de Mello – her partner for over three years.

She broke the news to the public through a post on Instagram, where she shared a clip where she appeared to be tap-dancing next to her husband before pointing to her belly, indicating that she was pregnant.

‘Our dream of becoming parents is nothing new,’ she captioned.

luca2.jpg
The pair broke the news of their pregnancy on Instagram. Credit: claudiaraia/Instagram

She even displayed the pregnancy test which indicated that she was three weeks into her pregnancy.

Claudia is already a mum to 25-year-old Enzo Celulari and 19-year-old Sophia Raia, two children she had from her 17-year marriage to actor Edson Celulari.

Now, the actress has given birth to her third child – baby Luca – in a maternity hospital in Sao Paulo on 11 February. Claudia posted photos of her child snuggled in between her and her husband – much to the delight of her 8.5 million followers.

‘Luca arrived, lighting up Saturday night!’ She wrote.

‘The world, since then, has had a new makeover for our family. We are overflowing with happiness and love! Welcome, Luca!’ The actress continued.

luca.jpg
Claudia shared this heart-warming photo of baby Luca between her and her husband. Credit: claudiaraia/Instagram

In her stories, Claudia recalled how she discovered the arrival of baby Luca. She confided that she called her doctor ‘crazy’ when she was ordered to take a blood test.

‘Guys, you saw the news of the year in my feed…When the doctor asked me for a beta-hCG, the pregnancy blood test, I said: “Love, you’re really crazy. Where did you get this from? I’m 55 years old.” Then she said: “But I need to investigate because all your rates are different, they are strange,”’ Claudia explained.

She further stated that she couldn’t stand not knowing, so she went and bought a pregnancy test. ‘I couldn’t stand it, I had to take the test,’ she added before mentioning that she didn’t really want to wait a day and a half for the blood test to come back.

‘Then I took the test and found out that I was more than 3 weeks pregnant. I said: “It cannot be. I’m 55 years old.” Claudia said she knew that the pregnancy was going to drive her crazy because she knew that having a baby at her age would be difficult.

The results from the doctor came back and confirmed that she was, indeed, pregnant.

luca3.jpg
Claudia already has two children from a previous marriage. Credit: claudiaraia/Instagram

Although it is rare for women over the age of 50 to become pregnant naturally, with the advances in assisted reproductive technology, it has become increasingly more common.

In 2021, an Indian woman gave birth to a healthy baby boy – at the age of 70. Jivunben Rabari welcomed her son through In Vitro Fertilisation or IVF, a method that can be effective even after menopause.

After being married for over 45 years, Rabari and her husband Maldhari (who is 75) shared that they were unsuccessful in conceiving a baby for decades. They then decided to go through the process of IVF, where an egg donated by a younger woman is fertilised outside of the body.

‘This is one of the rarest cases I have ever seen,’ the couple’s doctor explained. You can read more details about their story here.

According to other women who have shared their experience with IVF, the process felt ‘surreal’.

One woman had reservations about the procedure because she was worried that the baby wouldn’t be ‘hers’ entirely. ‘I was thinking, would she look like me? Would she have my nose? My hair colour?’ She stated.

But then her doctor started talking about how, when you carry a baby, its behaviour and personality was shaped entirely during the pregnancy. And this is what led her to go ahead with the process. But then there was an egg donor and sperm donor to choose from.

‘You do it all online and it seems a bit surreal, and yes, you do think you’re playing God. These two people will never meet, never know one another, and together their cells will create a baby – your baby,’ she admitted.

There’s also a ‘fog’ around the subject of artificial conception since a lot of women feel like it’s still a taboo subject. Nina Barnsley, the Director of the Donor Conception Network, said: ‘Many older mothers feel they are up against it enough in terms of other people’s views, and being open about this would be something else to criticise them for.’

Meanwhile, celebrities who are older than 50 are often coy about how they conceived their children. This gives rise to the misconception that people can easily postpone pregnancy until their 50s or 60s.

‘As a society, we need to have a proper conversation,’ Ms Barnsley said.

‘The technology means it’s possible to have babies until we’re 75 – but is that what we want?’

Key Takeaways

• Claudia Raia, a 56-year-old Brazilian actress, gave birth to her third child on 11 February 2023.
  • The baby, named Luca, was welcomed by the couple’s 8.5 million Instagram followers.
  • Claudia was stunned when her doctor advised her to take a pregnancy test, saying 'Love, you’re really crazy'.
  • It is very rare for women over the age of 50 to become pregnant naturally, however, assisted reproductive technology has made it possible for many.
What an interesting story, wouldn’t you agree? Could you imagine having a baby at 56? What are your thoughts on having children this late in life, members? Share them with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
Is age really just a number? For TV star Claudia Raia, that seems to be the case. Because when she was advised to take a pregnancy test, the 56-year-old thought that her doctor was crazy.

Late last year, Brazilian actress Claudia Raia announced that she was pregnant with her first child from her marriage to fellow actor, Jarbas Homem de Mello – her partner for over three years.

She broke the news to the public through a post on Instagram, where she shared a clip where she appeared to be tap-dancing next to her husband before pointing to her belly, indicating that she was pregnant.

View attachment 13596
The pair broke the news of their pregnancy on Instagram. Credit: claudiaraia/Instagram

She even displayed the pregnancy test which indicated that she was three weeks into her pregnancy.

Claudia is already a mum to 25-year-old Enzo Celulari and 19-year-old Sophia Raia, two children she had from her 17-year marriage to actor Edson Celulari.

Now, the actress has given birth to her third child – baby Luca – in a maternity hospital in Sao Paulo on 11 February. Claudia posted photos of her child snuggled in between her and her husband – much to the delight of her 8.5 million followers.

‘The world, since then, has had a new makeover for our family. We are overflowing with happiness and love! Welcome, Luca!’ The actress continued.

View attachment 13595
Claudia shared this heart-warming photo of baby Luca between her and her husband. Credit: claudiaraia/Instagram

In her stories, Claudia recalled how she discovered the arrival of baby Luca. She confided that she called her doctor ‘crazy’ when she was ordered to take a blood test.

‘Guys, you saw the news of the year in my feed…When the doctor asked me for a beta-hCG, the pregnancy blood test, I said: “Love, you’re really crazy. Where did you get this from? I’m 55 years old.” Then she said: “But I need to investigate because all your rates are different, they are strange,”’ Claudia explained.

She further stated that she couldn’t stand not knowing, so she went and bought a pregnancy test. ‘I couldn’t stand it, I had to take the test,’ she added before mentioning that she didn’t really want to wait a day and a half for the blood test to come back.

‘Then I took the test and found out that I was more than 3 weeks pregnant. I said: “It cannot be. I’m 55 years old.” Claudia said she knew that the pregnancy was going to drive her crazy because she knew that having a baby at her age would be difficult.

The results from the doctor came back and confirmed that she was, indeed, pregnant.

View attachment 13597
Claudia already has two children from a previous marriage. Credit: claudiaraia/Instagram

Although it is rare for women over the age of 50 to become pregnant naturally, with the advances in assisted reproductive technology, it has become increasingly more common.

In 2021, an Indian woman gave birth to a healthy baby boy – at the age of 70. Jivunben Rabari welcomed her son through In Vitro Fertilisation or IVF, a method that can be effective even after menopause.

After being married for over 45 years, Rabari and her husband Maldhari (who is 75) shared that they were unsuccessful in conceiving a baby for decades. They then decided to go through the process of IVF, where an egg donated by a younger woman is fertilised outside of the body.

‘This is one of the rarest cases I have ever seen,’ the couple’s doctor explained. You can read more details about their story here.

According to other women who have shared their experience with IVF, the process felt ‘surreal’.

One woman had reservations about the procedure because she was worried that the baby wouldn’t be ‘hers’ entirely. ‘I was thinking, would she look like me? Would she have my nose? My hair colour?’ She stated.

But then her doctor started talking about how, when you carry a baby, its behaviour and personality was shaped entirely during the pregnancy. And this is what led her to go ahead with the process. But then there was an egg donor and sperm donor to choose from.

‘You do it all online and it seems a bit surreal, and yes, you do think you’re playing God. These two people will never meet, never know one another, and together their cells will create a baby – your baby,’ she admitted.

There’s also a ‘fog’ around the subject of artificial conception since a lot of women feel like it’s still a taboo subject. Nina Barnsley, the Director of the Donor Conception Network, said: ‘Many older mothers feel they are up against it enough in terms of other people’s views, and being open about this would be something else to criticise them for.’

Meanwhile, celebrities who are older than 50 are often coy about how they conceived their children. This gives rise to the misconception that people can easily postpone pregnancy until their 50s or 60s.

‘The technology means it’s possible to have babies until we’re 75 – but is that what we want?’

Key Takeaways

• Claudia Raia, a 56-year-old Brazilian actress, gave birth to her third child on 11 February 2023.
  • The baby, named Luca, was welcomed by the couple’s 8.5 million Instagram followers.
  • Claudia was stunned when her doctor advised her to take a pregnancy test, saying 'Love, you’re really crazy'.
  • It is very rare for women over the age of 50 to become pregnant naturally, however, assisted reproductive technology has made it possible for many.
What an interesting story, wouldn’t you agree? Could you imagine having a baby at 56? What are your thoughts on having children this late in life, members? Share them with us in the comments below!

Reactions: Granny*Deb
Far too old to have a baby. She will be gone possibly by the time the child is 30. A selfish reason to have a baby beyond 40. I remember hearing an interview in radio where the lady’s Mum had her at 40! She said it was like having a grandma for your Mum & she never joined in like her friend’s Mothers did. As for 70 I have no words! IVF over 40 should NOT be allowed.

I was 42 when I had my youngest and I was in my best health physically and mentally.

Having a baby over 50 is plain selfish. Are you going to be able to keep up the same as younger parents?

How many years will you have with your kids let alone grandchildren?

Plus all the health issues that come with older pregnancy.

As for the 75 year old that belongs in a circus for the strange n weird.
That one is beyond selfish . Hope they had back up parents as they just made an orphan

View attachment 13596

View attachment 13595

View attachment 13597

Key Takeaways

For me; no way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

View attachment 13596

View attachment 13595

View attachment 13597

Key Takeaways

When the child is in her teens her father may even be dead or senile and her mother will be in her 70s. I hope the older siblings will be responsible for the young girl who may otherwise end up with a lost life as carer for her elderly parents. To have a baby by surrogacy once you are over 50 is utterly selfish and cruel to the baby who needs parents able to be active, fully able to cope with all the stages of the child's development and not regard the child as a carer for them.
There are also dangers for the child's health and future conditions when born to older parents.
I know many wonderful Grandparents having to raise their grandchildren and they are doing an incredible job but there is stress on occasions as their own lives are so dominated by the caring and needs of the children. Some are battling problems coping with rude, abusive, bullying and demanding teens who selfishly ignore the needs and sacrifice being made by "parents" no longer active and in perfect health.
There are so many issues here but yes, this child is a miracle and hopefully will have a happy life.

View attachment 13596

View attachment 13595

View attachment 13597

Key Takeaways

I think they call it the result of shagging!! without the use of protection, or look for a star in the East?

Parenting is a young person's game. It takes energy, the kind of energy young people have.

Having children post 40 is not wise. Emotionally it's unfair to the child who will likely lose mum or/and dad while s/he is still young.

I say: 'just because you can, doesn't mean you should'.

Parenting is not a right, a child is not a possession. Parenting is a privilege, you're making a human being.

Think about him/her before you proceed with pregnancy and what you'll be setting them up for in the time you're raising them and after you've gone.

View attachment 13596

View attachment 13595

View attachment 13597

Key Takeaways

Good lord, at the 21st birthday they can roll out mum at 77....huge age gap......huge

Sounds exhausting just thinking about having a baby at that age. :rolleyes:
We are now watching three of our granddaughter's ages 2, 4 and 6 every Wednesday The 6 year old is home schooled while their mum has gone back to teaching once a week.
I asked myself how did I do it with 13 kids and 6 under 6 🤔😯

Yesterday we also had our other daughters 18 month old for 2 hours

When the child is in her teens her father may even be dead or senile and her mother will be in her 70s. I hope the older siblings will be responsible for the young girl who may otherwise end up with a lost life as carer for her elderly parents. To have a baby by surrogacy once you are over 50 is utterly selfish and cruel to the baby who needs parents able to be active, fully able to cope with all the stages of the child's development and not regard the child as a carer for them.
There are also dangers for the child's health and future conditions when born to older parents.
I know many wonderful Grandparents having to raise their grandchildren and they are doing an incredible job but there is stress on occasions as their own lives are so dominated by the caring and needs of the children. Some are battling problems coping with rude, abusive, bullying and demanding teens who selfishly ignore the needs and sacrifice being made by "parents" no longer active and in perfect health.
There are so many issues here but yes, this child is a miracle and hopefully will have a happy life.
I also know of grandparents raising children (thought no choice of their own due to drug addled children); age may only be a number but you are not physically able to do what you can do when younger and it is sad that parents are not able to enjoy a calm, enjoyable retirement because they are now raising young children again.

We are now watching three of our granddaughter's ages 2, 4 and 6 every Wednesday The 6 year old is home schooled while their mum has gone back to teaching once a week.

With looking after those grandbabies, undoubtedly you will get a good night's sleep. ;)

Reactions: Granny*Deb

It was different back then!! Children were different from today’s children.
It’s a generation of “Me, me, me” (not saying this is the way with your grandchildren) but the majority of kids today, don’t take a “no” for an answer. They want it and they want it now!!