Indian woman gives birth to her first child at age 70

A 70-year-old woman has given birth to a healthy baby boy and has become one of the oldest first-time mothers in the world.

Jivunben Rabari welcomed her son earlier this month through IVF, a method that can be effective even after menopause.

Rabari and her husband Maldhari, 75, came from a small village called Mora in Gujurat, India. They have been married for forty-five years but were unsuccessful in conceiving a baby for decades.

h1palRkZWbR_KXPy71JNuD6JM-cdThGpNJIZbydB8aVdONCYQ_jAiVT-kbcbY7BLE2PWi99F02TBM68ZYilMoGVPAgz81hiQJUDFv5Rp5BxMtWwuag0kCQ9HwnhVSa50rW5B-4KK=s1600

The couple hasn’t thought of a name for the baby yet. Photo from Jam Press/ Vid Rare Shot News

'When they first came to us, we told them that they couldn't have a child at such an old age, but they insisted,” said the couple’s doctor Naresh Bhanushali.

“They said that many of their family members did it as well. This is one of the rarest cases I have ever seen.”

Regardless of the fact that in their late 40s and 50s, women go through menopause, reducing their chances of getting naturally pregnant. The American Society of Reproductive Medicine (ASRM) claims that as long as the woman has a normal uterus, any woman of any age can get pregnant using IVF even if she no longer has ovaries.

The process of IVF, or In Vitro Fertilisation, involves using an egg donated by a much younger woman. It is then fertilised outside of the body using a man’s sperm.
The embryo is then placed inside the woman’s womb in the hopes that she’ll become pregnant.

Y0dYNHYqmI_aXHw2CcHX4eo3Lm2duyi1N6JznOyZP90IRAksl4Zi91Esbqq1W7yudSshECCcCks_L9kURZuhDcQIJZw0vtz1vhlSbjAO6gPQsIlq776v4ziXfDMK2RozTA3N1xPx=s1600

Dr Naresh described the pregnancy as one of the “rarest” he’s ever seen. Photo from Jam Press/Rare Shot News

Rabari’s case was not an isolated one as there have been several instances of women in their 60s and 70s being pregnant through IVF in India.

Another Indian woman, Erramatti Mangayamma, is believed to be the oldest first-time mother in the world, after giving birth to twin girls in September 2019 at the age of 74, through the same method of IVF.

Mangayamma revealed she was inspired to try for a baby after her 55-year-old neighbour conceived.

After 57 years of marriage without any children, she and her husband Sitarama Raja Rao, then 82, welcomed the twins in 2019.

“I cannot express my feeling in words. These babies complete me,” Mangayamma said after ending her six-decade-long wait to have children of her own.

This article is based on a report written by Lauren Lewis and Connor Boyd for Mail Online.

Sponsored
This feels... unethical. They will need to start looking at regulating this if it's becoming a trend. At least to make sure that the parents have enough to leave behind after their deaths to ensure that the child will be well taken care of.

This feels... unethical. They will need to start looking at regulating this if it's becoming a trend. At least to make sure that the parents have enough to leave behind after their deaths to ensure that the child will be well taken care of.
Personally I think it is totally wrong to bring a child into the world at that age. The parents will probably not live long enough for the baby to reach double figures. There are enough people living below the poverty line in India without adding to it.

Personally I think it is totally wrong to bring a child into the world at that age. The parents will probably not live long enough for the baby to reach double figures. There are enough people living below the poverty line in India without adding to it.
Those were my thoughts too. It isn't a country where the chances of the child being adopted is high. The child will either be left as a burden to family members who didn't ask for them or go into the foster care system - whatever that means for India.

Reactions: serene and Vinylted
I would venture to say that at 75 the husbands sperm was no longer viable, so donated ovum, donated sperm, the child is not even theirs. She is a 70 year old surrogate mother. sigh for the child's future, although I imagine iVF in India would be quite expensive as it is here, so the couple might have the means. But in my view most unethical of the doctors. :(

I would venture to say that at 75 the husbands sperm was no longer viable, so donated ovum, donated sperm, the child is not even theirs. She is a 70 year old surrogate mother. sigh for the child's future, although I imagine iVF in India would be quite expensive as it is here, so the couple might have the means. But in my view most unethical of the doctors. :(
I think men have viable sperm until their death... as far as I know. But still ridiculous nonetheless.