This $3 hack to remove tough toilet bowl stains will ‘change your life’

Struggling to keep your toilet bowl looking spotless? You’re not alone! I’m sure many have complained about the black stains, calcium marks, and mould that’s scattered across our toilet bowls. Not to mention, cleaning the toilet can be one of the toughest – and least enjoyable – jobs in the home.

And while there are several commercial products available to help get rid of those pesky stains, one mum recently discovered a brilliant cleaning product that only costs $3!

The majority of us would rather not think about the bacteria living in our toilets. But the last thing anyone would want to do is spend a fortune on chemical products to get their toilets clean.

Thankfully, a simple and affordable solution has been found by a savvy mum, who took to Facebook to share her discovery.

bathroom.jpg
No one likes cleaning the toilet, but something must be done about those pesky stains. Credit: Vecislavas Popa/Pexels

The woman shared her story of how a small can of citric acid was able to clean the tough black stains from her toilet bowl and tanks. She poured a generous amount into the toilet bowl, left it overnight, gave it a quick scrub, and then flushed the dirty water.

To the woman who suggested I use citric acid to clean the black from my toilet bowl, I love you!’ She exclaimed.

She added that she has seen people use Scalex (a heavy-duty home descaler) and various acids, but shared that the cost of having to possibly buy multiple bottles just to clean her toilet made her hesitate.

‘I have to be very conscious of how I spend my money. So, to find that just one small can of citric acid that costs less than $3 could move that muck with just an overnight soak and a scrub from the brush. I am more than thrilled…plus I already had it in my pantry. WIN WIN,’ the woman explained.

You can buy 75g of citric acid for $3 at Woolworths.

citric1.jpg
The woman’s cleaning secret is citric acid. Credit: Woolworths

After reading the post, many social media users said they were excited to try the tip at home.

‘I literally cannot wait to try this,’ one commented. They added that they joined the group to try and ‘deal’ with the same problem, aka the black stuff on the bottom of their toilets that just won’t budge.

Another responded: ‘Wow, thank you for sharing. I have issues with harsh chemicals and can’t use them as it brings on an asthma attack. This is great.’

But what causes toilet bowl stains in the first place?

Well, there are many causes for these stubborn stains to appear.

Rust appears on porcelain too. Those dark brown or red spots could indicate corrosion in your pipes. Toilets with these kinds of stains mean that it’s time to bring in an expert to fix the source of the problem.

How do you clean toilet bowl stains_ (1).jpg
Here are some tips on how to clean your toilet bowl. Image credit: The Seniors Discount Club

Mould, which thrives in moisture and humid areas, can grow inside your toilet – especially if it’s a toilet that is used less. Similar to other kinds of mould you might find in your house, treating the cause is important. Otherwise, it will just keep coming back.

Finally, calcium causes those yellow stains to appear in your toilet bowl. Keep an eye out for these and remove them immediately if you spot them.

So, how can you clean toilet bowl stains if you can’t find citric acid in your local supermarket? Here are some of the options you can use.

Scalex

Like the woman mentioned in her post, Scalex is a popular product for cleaning toilets. It’s a powerful cleaner that is said to remove calcium, lime, and rust. Similar to citric acid, you can pour Scalex into the bowl, leave it there overnight, and then clean it the next morning.

However, since this is a chemical-based cleaner, those with difficulty breathing or lung-related illnesses should be careful when trying this cleaner out.

Vinegar or bicarb of soda

Vinegar is a favourite among home cleaners and cleaning experts alike – and for good reason. Just be careful to never combine vinegar with bleach. This creates toxic gas that is extremely dangerous to your health. You wouldn’t want to end up like this woman who mixed both cleaning agents and…well, you can read the rest of her story here.

Bicarb of soda, once you make it into a paste with a couple of tablespoons of water, is also a wonderful cleaning agent. You can read how to deep-clean your toilet using these cleaning agents here.

Coke

Got a can of coke in your fridge? Pour it into the toilet bowl and let it sit for at least two hours or overnight, if possible. Once ready, flush your toilet to remove the coke, give the bowl a scrub and another flush and you should be good to go.

For other homemade cleaning solutions that are safe for you to try (and with no harsh chemicals!), you can check out our list here.
Key Takeaways
  • A mum shared the success she had with a $3 cleaning hack to remove black toilet bowl stains by simply leaving citric acid in the bowl overnight.
  • Other social media users commented on the post to say they were excited to try this at home.
  • An alternative to citric acid for removing stains is Scalex, however, this is a powerful cleaning agent and may be harsh to those with breathing problems or with lung-related illnesses.
  • Other popular methods for cleaning up toilet bowl stains are vinegar, bicarbonate of soda, or Coke.
  • Calcium, rust and mould can also cause toilet bowl stains.
Ready to give the $3 toilet bowl cleaning hack a try? Let us know your success stories below! Maybe you know some other great alternatives for cleaning the toilet? Whatever your ideas, share them with us here!

Sponsored
Struggling to keep your toilet bowl looking spotless? You’re not alone! I’m sure many have complained about the black stains, calcium marks, and mould that’s scattered across our toilet bowls. Not to mention, cleaning the toilet can be one of the toughest – and least enjoyable – jobs in the home.

And while there are several commercial products available to help get rid of those pesky stains, one mum recently discovered a brilliant cleaning product that only costs $3!

The majority of us would rather not think about the bacteria living in our toilets. But the last thing anyone would want to do is spend a fortune on chemical products to get their toilets clean.

Thankfully, a simple and affordable solution has been found by a savvy mum, who took to Facebook to share her discovery.

View attachment 13535
No one likes cleaning the toilet, but something must be done about those pesky stains. Credit: Vecislavas Popa/Pexels

The woman shared her story of how a small can of citric acid was able to clean the tough black stains from her toilet bowl and tanks. She poured a generous amount into the toilet bowl, left it overnight, gave it a quick scrub, and then flushed the dirty water.

To the woman who suggested I use citric acid to clean the black from my toilet bowl, I love you!’ She exclaimed.

She added that she has seen people use Scalex (a heavy-duty home descaler) and various acids, but shared that the cost of having to possibly buy multiple bottles just to clean her toilet made her hesitate.

‘I have to be very conscious of how I spend my money. So, to find that just one small can of citric acid that costs less than $3 could move that muck with just an overnight soak and a scrub from the brush. I am more than thrilled…plus I already had it in my pantry. WIN WIN,’ the woman explained.

View attachment 13536

After reading the post, many social media users said they were excited to try the tip at home.

‘I literally cannot wait to try this,’ one commented. They added that they joined the group to try and ‘deal’ with the same problem, aka the black stuff on the bottom of their toilets that just won’t budge.

Another responded: ‘Wow, thank you for sharing. I have issues with harsh chemicals and can’t use them as it brings on an asthma attack. This is great.’

Rust appears on porcelain too. Those dark brown or red spots could indicate corrosion in your pipes. Toilets with these kinds of stains mean that it’s time to bring in an expert to fix the source of the problem.

View attachment 13537
Here are some tips on how to clean your toilet bowl. Image credit: The Seniors Discount Club

Mould, which thrives in moisture and humid areas, can grow inside your toilet – especially if it’s a toilet that is used less. Similar to other kinds of mould you might find in your house, treating the cause is important. Otherwise, it will just keep coming back.

Finally, calcium causes those yellow stains to appear in your toilet bowl. Keep an eye out for these and remove them immediately if you spot them.

So, how can you clean toilet bowl stains if you can’t find citric acid in your local supermarket? Here are some of the options you can use.

Scalex

Like the woman mentioned in her post, Scalex is a popular product for cleaning toilets. It’s a powerful cleaner that is said to remove calcium, lime, and rust. Similar to citric acid, you can pour Scalex into the bowl, leave it there overnight, and then clean it the next morning.

However, since this is a chemical-based cleaner, those with difficulty breathing or lung-related illnesses should be careful when trying this cleaner out.

Vinegar is a favourite among home cleaners and cleaning experts alike – and for good reason. Just be careful to never combine vinegar with bleach. This creates toxic gas that is extremely dangerous to your health. You wouldn’t want to end up like this woman who mixed both cleaning agents and…well, you can read the rest of her story here.

Bicarb of soda, once you make it into a paste with a couple of tablespoons of water, is also a wonderful cleaning agent. You can read how to deep-clean your toilet using these cleaning agents here.

Coke

Got a can of coke in your fridge? Pour it into the toilet bowl and let it sit for at least two hours or overnight, if possible. Once ready, flush your toilet to remove the coke, give the bowl a scrub and another flush and you should be good to go.

For other homemade cleaning solutions that are safe for you to try (and with no harsh chemicals!), you can check out our list here.
Key Takeaways

• A mum shared the success she had with a $3 cleaning hack to remove black toilet bowl stains by simply leaving citric acid in the bowl overnight.
  • Other social media users commented on the post to say they were excited to try this at home.
  • An alternative to citric acid for removing stains is Scalex, however, this is a powerful cleaning agent and may be harsh to those with breathing problems or with lung-related illnesses.
  • Other popular methods for cleaning up toilet bowl stains are vinegar, bicarbonate of soda, or Coke.
Ready to give the $3 toilet bowl cleaning hack a try? Let us know your success stories below! Maybe you know some other great alternatives for cleaning the toilet? Whatever your ideas, share them with us here!
I’ve been using citric acids in the toilet for ages now it removes the stain completely

i use sulfuric acid (bloke remedy) let sit for few hours then nutralise with bi carb , little at a time as it froths up . works great

Reactions: robbie's
Big fan. This one actually works. Best to pour jug of boiling water into toilet first. Leave 1/2 hour to loosen/help the process, then pour container full of citric acid in and brush onto offending surfaces. Leave a couple of hours brushing every 1/2 hour to dissolve any residual particles, (remembering this is an acid so protect eyes/skin and maybe not soak overnight to save porcelain.) Use liquid soap and brush regularly to stop stain returning too soon.

• Wow
Reactions: MindyMac and Zoya

View attachment 13535

View attachment 13536

View attachment 13537

Scalex

Coke

Key Takeaways

I’m going to try the citric acid 🫠

Reactions: Zoya
Never had a dark toilet!!! I just use Harpic bleach gel and make sure I go up from where the water runs, give a good scrub, flash it and repeat, leaving it for a few hours. My toilets are always sparkling clean 👍🏼👍🏼

I would li,e to no how to clean my cistern.
I keep clean g my cistern with brush and vinegar,
I always get a film of like scum in there.
How do in get rid of it.
Anyone else have this problem.
I also use blue loo
Thanks in advance

Reactions: MindyMac
I tried it and it did not work, however only have the one toilet. I left it for as many hours as possible and hottest water as well. No change. Then I used a mixture of Bar Keepers Friend and Scalex and that worked. Plus, I have used Tricleanium helps to up-date clean and I use JAL as well (from Bunnings). I also use Harpic Toilet Cleaner to freshen up with the Blossom and/or Seabreeze fragrence.

Reactions: Zoya
I would li,e to no how to clean my cistern.
I keep clean g my cistern with brush and vinegar,
I always get a film of like scum in there.
How do in get rid of it.
Anyone else have this problem.
I also use blue loo
Thanks in advance
I tried the Citric Acid and it did not work, however I only have the one toilet. I left it for as many hours as possible and hottest water as well. No change. Then I used a mixture of Bar Keepers Friend and Scalex and that worked. Plus, I have used Tricleanium helps to up-date clean and I use JAL as well (from Bunnings). I also use Harpic Toilet Cleaner to freshen up with the Blossom and/or Seabreeze fragrence.

Try Bar Keepers Friend & Scalex together. Make a sort of paste and leave on the brown area. Woollies sells Bar Keepers Friend. Coles sells both. Bunnings sell Scalex. Also use a good scrubber. Woolworths sells tile grout scrubbers for $4.00 and they are so handy.

Flush toilet so it's damp. Then sprinkle 'both' Bar keepers friend & Scalex onto the area and into the bowl. Leave as long as possible, but damp especially in this hot dry weather. Say 1-2 hours. Even sprinkle some water to provide moisture. Then use toilet scrubber first and flush and see how you go. Then, repeat and you may then use the tile grout scrubber. Years and years of scrubbings and nothing worked. Used these two together and scrubber and it all came off. 1676860324762.png 1676860394049.png 1676860542723.png

Reactions: robbie's

View attachment 13535

View attachment 13536

View attachment 13537

Scalex

Coke

Key Takeaways

Is citric acid safe for septic tanks?

I tried the Citric Acid and it did not work, however I only have the one toilet. I left it for as many hours as possible and hottest water as well. No change. Then I used a mixture of Bar Keepers Friend and Scalex and that worked. Plus, I have used Tricleanium helps to up-date clean and I use JAL as well (from Bunnings). I also use Harpic Toilet Cleaner to freshen up with the Blossom and/or Seabreeze fragrence.

Try Bar Keepers Friend & Scalex together. Make a sort of paste and leave on the brown area. Woollies sells Bar Keepers Friend. Coles sells both. Bunnings sell Scalex. Also use a good scrubber. Woolworths sells tile grout scrubbers for $4.00 and they are so handy.

Flush toilet so it's damp. Then sprinkle 'both' Bar keepers friend & Scalex onto the area and into the bowl. Leave as long as possible, but damp especially in this hot dry weather. Say 1-2 hours. Even sprinkle some water to provide moisture. Then use toilet scrubber first and flush and see how you go. Then, repeat and you may then use the tile grout scrubber. Years and years of scrubbings and nothing worked. Used these two together and scrubber and it all came off. View attachment 13979 View attachment 13980 View attachment 13981
Thanks Mindy, I'll give it a go cheers

What’s with these dark stains in the toilet!!
I have never experienced this in my toilets…I just use Harpic toilet cleaner, scrub after using toilet…it’s not hard!!

Reactions: Groovy and Zoya
Fa

View attachment 13535

View attachment 13536

View attachment 13537

Scalex

Coke

Key Takeaways

Ready to give the $3 toilet bowl cleaning hack a try? Let us know your success stories below! Maybe you know some other great alternatives for cleaning the toilet? Whatever your ideas, share them with us here!Fabulous

Would citric acid be ok to use in your toilet if you have a septic system?

View attachment 13535

View attachment 13536

View attachment 13537

Scalex

Coke

Key Takeaways

Big fan. This one actually works. Best to pour jug of boiling water into toilet first. Leave 1/2 hour to loosen/help the process, then pour container full of citric acid in and brush onto offending surfaces. Leave a couple of hours brushing every 1/2 hour to dissolve any residual particles, (remembering this is an acid so protect eyes/skin and maybe not soak overnight to save porcelain.) Use liquid soap and brush regularly to stop stain returning too soon.
Boiling water poured in can crack the toilet bowl. Very hot tap water is the best.

Tried the citrix acid

View attachment 13535

View attachment 13536

View attachment 13537

Scalex

Coke

Key Takeaways

on the brown water stains in our toilet and it works! so easy so good. A mest