This $20 meat pie has hundreds lining up! Does it live up to the hype?

A bakery in Sydney is creating quite the buzz online after they revealed a luxurious approach to the typical Aussie dish – meat pies.

Lode Pies and Pastries, a Sydney-based bakery known for its breathtaking pastries and desserts, is now raising the bar for the classic meat pie.

In fact, the company is already making customers swoon with what could arguably be the most luxurious take on the classic meat pie in the country – their handmade luxury pies, which are now available for $20 a piece.

To make Lode's original version of the meat pie – which they call the LuMi pithvier – the bakery spends three days crafting the individual pastries from scratch using butter from France, locally-sourced organic flour, wagyu beef brisket, and shiitake mushrooms.

On top of everything, the pastry also comes with a 'chimney' at the top where customers can pour in a special chicken gravy before taking a bite of the pie.

You are not likely to see an obvious sign outside shop windows, but dozens have been spotted outside the bakery in Surry Hills as foodies flock to try the meal.

One customer said: 'Along with your almond croissant, this is possibly the best thing I've ever eaten in my life! Life changing!'

'This Lumi pithivier won my heart today!' another wrote.

A third chimed in: 'Goodness me. Just stunning.'

'Had my first one ever last week! Sensational experience!' a fourth added.

Since opening its doors in early November of last year, Sydney bakery 'Lode Pies and Pastries' has been catering to the public in limited hours after customers caught wind of their Instagrammable sweet and savoury treats.

The little pink bakery on Crown Street in Surry Hills has captured the attention of hundreds online thanks to its range of flaky pastries and stylish decor.

The Crown on 487 pastry—which one customer called the 'FOMO (fear of missing out) dish of 2021'—is one of their most sought-after items. The Crown on 487 is a braided ring of croissant dough filled with raspberry and white chocolate glaze and decorated with rose and pistachios.

64554257-11428629-Australian_foodies_are_divided_over_a_20_decadent_take_on_the_se-a-27_1668520389405.jpg

The LuMi pithivier is made over three days and contains wagyu beef and shiitake mushrooms. Credit: Instagram/@lode_pies.

Other dishes that excite the palate are their Blueberry tart with macadamia frangipane, blueberry jam, cream cheese crème patissiere, fresh blueberries, and lime zest in a croissant dough nest and the Banana, Chocolate and Peanut Pastries followed by the Almond and Caramelised White Chocolate Treat.

Key Takeaways

• A Sydney-based bakery Lode Pies and Pastries is selling their indulgent take on the humble meat pie for $20 each.
  • The pastry takes three days to make using butter from France, organic Australian flour, wagyu brisket and shiitake mushroom, and it comes with a chimney at the top where customers can pour in the chicken sauce.
  • Foodies can be seen queuing outside the bakery in Surry Hills for the pastry, but others believe it's too pricey.
  • The high-brow bakery was launched last November by LuMi dining, and foodies are still flocking to it over a year later.

Lode Pies and Pastries is open on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday from 8 am until sold out.

They are located at 487 Crown Street in Surrey Hills. For more information, please visit their website.

So there you have it, folks! Will you be keen to try this pie? Better yet, do you know other local bakeries that serve comparable pies? Share them with us in the comments below!

You might also want to check out this article where we reported about the winner of the best meat pie award.

Sponsored
I know that area well, there are alot of gourmet cafes very close to the CBD .
The area attracts alot of business people, lawyers, barristers ect
I wonder how these would sell if they were sold in the suburbs.
I would not pay $20 for this pie !.

But this has encouraged me to find the recipe and make it minus the shiitake mushroons

I know that area well, there are alot of gourmet cafes very close to the CBD .
The area attracts alot of business people, lawyers, barristers ect
I wonder how these would sell if they were sold in the suburbs.
I would not pay $20 for this pie !.

But this has encouraged me to find the recipe and make it minus the shiitake mushroons
Would you share the recipe please

Reactions: Ricci and JayKay
A bakery in Sydney is creating quite the buzz online after they revealed a luxurious approach to the typical Aussie dish – meat pies.

Lode Pies and Pastries, a Sydney-based bakery known for its breathtaking pastries and desserts, is now raising the bar for the classic meat pie.

In fact, the company is already making customers swoon with what could arguably be the most luxurious take on the classic meat pie in the country – their handmade luxury pies, which are now available for $20 a piece.

To make Lode's original version of the meat pie – which they call the LuMi pithvier – the bakery spends three days crafting the individual pastries from scratch using butter from France, locally-sourced organic flour, wagyu beef brisket, and shiitake mushrooms.

On top of everything, the pastry also comes with a 'chimney' at the top where customers can pour in a special chicken gravy before taking a bite of the pie.

You are not likely to see an obvious sign outside shop windows, but dozens have been spotted outside the bakery in Surry Hills as foodies flock to try the meal.

One customer said: 'Along with your almond croissant, this is possibly the best thing I've ever eaten in my life! Life changing!'

Since opening its doors in early November of last year, Sydney bakery 'Lode Pies and Pastries' has been catering to the public in limited hours after customers caught wind of their Instagrammable sweet and savoury treats.

The little pink bakery on Crown Street in Surry Hills has captured the attention of hundreds online thanks to its range of flaky pastries and stylish decor.

The Crown on 487 pastry—which one customer called the 'FOMO (fear of missing out) dish of 2021'—is one of their most sought-after items. The Crown on 487 is a braided ring of croissant dough filled with raspberry and white chocolate glaze and decorated with rose and pistachios.

64554257-11428629-Australian_foodies_are_divided_over_a_20_decadent_take_on_the_se-a-27_1668520389405.jpg

The LuMi pithivier is made over three days and contains wagyu beef and shiitake mushrooms. Credit: Instagram/@lode_pies.

Other dishes that excite the palate are their Blueberry tart with macadamia frangipane, blueberry jam, cream cheese crème patissiere, fresh blueberries, and lime zest in a croissant dough nest and the Banana, Chocolate and Peanut Pastries followed by the Almond and Caramelised White Chocolate Treat.

Key Takeaways

• A Sydney-based bakery Lode Pies and Pastries is selling their indulgent take on the humble meat pie for $20 each.
  • The pastry takes three days to make using butter from France, organic Australian flour, wagyu brisket and shiitake mushroom, and it comes with a chimney at the top where customers can pour in the chicken sauce.
  • Foodies can be seen queuing outside the bakery in Surry Hills for the pastry, but others believe it's too pricey.
  • The high-brow bakery was launched last November by LuMi dining, and foodies are still flocking to it over a year later.

Lode Pies and Pastries is open on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday from 8 am until sold out.

They are located at 487 Crown Street in Surrey Hills. For more information, please visit their website.

So there you have it, folks! Will you be keen to try this pie? Better yet, do you know other local bakeries that serve comparable pies? Share them with us in the comments below!

You might also want to check out this article where we reported about the winner of the best meat pie award.

I dont mind a pie now and then and have even been known to have as a balanced diet...( 1 in each hand) but I dont care how great it maybe I will never pay $20 bucks for a pie.

I would give it a go just to see what is is like as a treat as I'm not meant to have pastry my tummy dont like it and the shop is to far away so I guess it wont be on my menu anytime soon but good n the shop for making something that people will pay for it is a novel idea

Reactions: Ricci

Key Takeaways

"Art is anal"
How typically inner-Sydney.

$20 for a single serve pie, NO WAY.
Wrong state anyway.
But to have a taste to try to sus out the ingredients might be worth having.
What, you won't pay $20 for a pie, but wants to taste it for FREE!!

Plenty of recipes on the internet

The Pithivier, such an enclosed pie, is often used in place of the word pie in English cooking. Some, however, believe that the pie actually originated in the town of Pithiviers, in the Orléans region of France which dates back to the 17th century.

Originally pithiviers were made with sweet fillings, namely frangipane, but are now more commonly savoury.

The filling of the pithivier is often a sweet frangipane (optionally combined with fruit such as cherry or plum), but savoury pies with vegetable, meat or cheese filling can also be called pithivier.

Well, if the SDC members won't pay $20 for a Pie, check this Pie out!!

Currently being offered by Manettas Seafood Market, in Sydney, and online around Australia

Quoted from their website:-

Lobster and Snapper Pie​

This is a must try pie, beautiful flakey pastry with a creamy lobster and snapper filling. There is no better way to warm up with a delicious hot dish like this. All prepared and ready to go - Simply brush melted butter on the top of the pastry and cook the pie in the oven at 180 degrees for 30 minutes until golden brown.

How does my Lobster and Snapper Pie come:

• in a Ceramic dish - Pastry top with a velouté sauce
  • Ready to cook
$39.00 per pie (recommended for 1)

1669355430270.png

That's right Folks, it's $39.00 a pie, for one person

No need to rush to buy one, there's plenty for everyone!

Please note, I am in no way associated with the Seafood Market,

I stumbled onto this and wanted to share it!!

Last edited:
  • Wow