This $2.50 Kmart storage item receives backlash from shoppers: ‘Such a waste of money’

When it comes to home organisation, finding the right storage solutions can be as crucial as selecting the perfect recipe for your family dinner. It's all about balance, practicality, and, of course, value for money.

Kmart, a go-to for many Australian bargain hunters, seemed to tick all these boxes over this $4 container, which appeared to answer our pantry prayers.

But as some shoppers have discovered, not all that glitters is gold.

A flurry of social media posts has recently brought to light a rather disappointing flaw in the $2.50 Flip Lock Food Container.

One dismayed shopper shared a photo of her container with a broken lid, sparking a wave of solidarity from others who had faced the same plight.

'So with my Kmart containers...all the lids are breaking,' she wrote, voicing the collective frustration of many.

image (1).jpg
A Kmart shopper was dismayed over the $2.50 Flip Lock Food Container, which was said to be broken. Credit: Kmart / Facebook

The comments section quickly filled with similar tales of woe. 'They just break. Sometimes, they just break while no one is touching them. The product is faulty,' one echoed.

'All mine did this too. Such a waste of money,' and 'Agreed, mine are all breaking too, I suppose you get what you pay for, cheap and nasty,' were among the numerous comments that reflected the disappointment of shoppers who had hoped for more bang for their buck.

As the complaints continued to pour in, some users pointed out that this wasn't an isolated incident.

'All of mine did this within the first month of having them. So annoying,' shared one, while another resignedly said, 'Into the bin with them.'

In the face of this widespread dissatisfaction, some users offered practical advice, pointing to Kmart's return policy as a possible solution.

‘Take them back if you still have your receipt,’ one suggested.

The discussion took an interesting turn when a user posted a video suggesting that the lids were designed to disassemble for cleaning purposes.

'The handle is meant to come off for washing/assembling,' she explained.

However, this was quickly rebutted by others who showed their lids were genuinely broken, not just disassembled.

'That’s not what they meant. Stop gaslighting me,' one replied.

Despite the uproar, not all feedback was negative.

A few defended the containers, sharing that theirs had remained intact. 'It hasn't happened to any of mine,' one user stated.

'If they break, it's from misuse, dropping, travel or such,’ another said.

‘I've got a cupboard full, and not one has broken in the three years I've had them. I only wipe the lids over with a wet cloth. I've never submerged them in water. Wonder if that's why.’

The Kmart spokesperson did not address the lid-breaking issue in response to the controversy. Instead, they encouraged customers to contact their customer care team for any product issues.

‘As always, we would encourage any customers who experience an issue with a product to reach out via our customer care team so that they can investigate,’ they said.

In a similar story, shoppers expressed dissatisfaction with another $10 Kmart product, as it does not seal effectively.

What was the product in question? Find out more about the Kmart product here.
Key Takeaways
  • Kmart shoppers are expressing their dissatisfaction with the durability of the $2.50 Flip Lock Food Container due to lids breaking.
  • Users on social media have shared their experiences and suggested that the breakages may not be worth the affordable price.
  • Some members offered advice for others to return the faulty items, and one user pointed out a design feature of the lids that allows for disassembly.
  • Kmart encouraged customers experiencing issues with their products to contact their customer care team for assistance.
Have you had a similar experience with storage containers or other household items that promised much but delivered little? Share your stories with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
Oh yes these are crap. Bought a few and the lock breaks so then there is no seal. They didn't keep ants out anyway because of the flip lock design. And they were a nightmare to wash as they took forever to dry inside the lid.
Just pencil holders now.

• Haha
Reactions: DLHM
why do the grizzlers not take the product back to where they bought it?
I am tired or reading about idiots who get onto this medium and gripe. GO, do something about it and leave us in peace.

l'm looking for a reliable chopper grater if anyone has a good one they can recommend it would be appreciated