This 10-year-old was told she’d never walk again - now she’s a champion triathlete

We at the SDC believe in never giving up on your dreams, no matter how old you are. If there’s something you want to do or achieve, go for it!

It doesn’t matter if people tell you that it’s impossible, or that you won’t be able to do it – there’s always a way.

That mindset is exactly what 10-year-old Hallee McCoombes has adopted throughout her young life so far.

You see, she was born with a condition called spina bifida, a disease where a child has a malformed spinal cord that makes it difficult to perform basic functions like walking.

As such, Hallee and her parents were told she wouldn’t be able to walk at all.

9640776d49c32388ac07567c31f68f813c8e711a.jpg
Hallee has won many medals in hurdles. Credit: 7News

Christine, her mother, described her condition: ‘Her brain is affected, her coordination is affected, and obviously she’s got lots of muscles and nerves that are damaged.’

But Hallee, now an Australian champion triathlete, was undaunted.

‘When they say that, I don’t listen,’ she said.

Despite being able to move her legs, Hallee still does not have feeling below her waist — she can only sense vibrations vaguely from her lower body.

When she swims, she cannot move her legs at all; she floats on her back when the strain on her body is too much.

But that’s not all: Hallee also participates in hurdles, and she already has a couple of records under her name!

‘I’ve got six Australian records - 100, 200, 400, 800 and 1500 (metres),’ she proudly said.

You wouldn’t know at first glance, but as late as last year, Hallee was stumbling in a hospital room recovering from operations.

‘Sometimes it’s hard, after surgeries, and it’s hard to get out of my wheelchair.’ she said.

bec63accac810188552e4f749430c7521581ccf8.jpg
Even without feeling in her legs, Hallee soldiers on. Credit: 7News

But at the end of the many finish lines she has crossed and even though she’s exhausted to the point where she can barely form words, Hallee has one thing to say: ‘I love doing it, and it’s fun.’ What a little ripper!

Christine couldn’t be more proud of her daughter’s amazing strength and courage.

She said: ‘People are starting to see that she is capable of doing anything and everything.’

So, what’s next for Hallee?

In 2028, Hallee will be 16 years old and eligible to qualify for the 2028 Los Angeles Paralympics in the US.

Key Takeaways

• 10-year-old Hallee McCoombes was once told she'd never be able to walk, but now she's a champion athlete with several Australian records in hurdles.
  • Hallee was born with spina bifida, a condition where infants are born with defects in their spinal cords which in most cases leaves them unable to walk.
  • She now wants to qualify for the 2028 Paralympics in Los Angeles, USA.
She will be focusing on tennis and triathlon.

But what’s another challenge for a brave girl like Hallee? Her mantra for herself and others with long roads ahead: ‘Just go out there and do your best.’

So, what is your reaction to Hallee’s story? Did her brave and unrelenting nature light a fire in you?

Tell us your thoughts and reactions in the comments section below!

Source: Twitter/@7NewsBrisbane

Sponsored
Just excuse me for a moment, I've got dust in my eyes and my vision is blurred.
Just wait a tic while my eyes wash the dust away!
What a mighty trooper, she certainly knows how to soldier on. Go girl, Go!!
I think her family may have been told that she would never walk, rather than never walk again. Spina Bifida is a developmental abnormality in utero, and is present at birth.
We could all take a leaf out of Hallee's book.
Get out there, give it a go and do our best.
What a beautiful little girl, to have achieved that much in her little life so far is a credit to her and to her family.
Never say Never.

Last edited:
I hope I'm still around in 2028 to watch her show the world what can be achieved with a little bit of encouragement and a very big heart. I'll be yelling her on and will whoop as she crosses the finish line. Go girl, you little ripper!! :) :love:

We at the SDC believe in never giving up on your dreams, no matter how old you are. If there’s something you want to do or achieve, go for it!

It doesn’t matter if people tell you that it’s impossible, or that you won’t be able to do it – there’s always a way.

That mindset is exactly what 10-year-old Hallee McCoombes has adopted throughout her young life so far.

You see, she was born with a condition called spina bifida, a disease where a child has a malformed spinal cord that makes it difficult to perform basic functions like walking.

View attachment 8186

Christine, her mother, described her condition: ‘Her brain is affected, her coordination is affected, and obviously she’s got lots of muscles and nerves that are damaged.’

Despite being able to move her legs, Hallee still does not have feeling below her waist — she can only sense vibrations vaguely from her lower body.

When she swims, she cannot move her legs at all; she floats on her back when the strain on her body is too much.

But that’s not all: Hallee also participates in hurdles, and she already has a couple of records under her name!

‘I’ve got six Australian records - 100, 200, 400, 800 and 1500 (metres),’ she proudly said.

You wouldn’t know at first glance, but as late as last year, Hallee was stumbling in a hospital room recovering from operations.

‘Sometimes it’s hard, after surgeries, and it’s hard to get out of my wheelchair.’ she said.

View attachment 8187

But at the end of the many finish lines she has crossed and even though she’s exhausted to the point where she can barely form words, Hallee has one thing to say: ‘I love doing it, and it’s fun.’ What a little ripper!

Christine couldn’t be more proud of her daughter’s amazing strength and courage.

She said: ‘People are starting to see that she is capable of doing anything and everything.’

In 2028, Hallee will be 16 years old and eligible to qualify for the 2028 Los Angeles Paralympics in the US.

Key Takeaways

• 10-year-old Hallee McCoombes was once told she'd never be able to walk, but now she's a champion athlete with several Australian records in hurdles.
  • Hallee was born with spina bifida, a condition where infants are born with defects in their spinal cords which in most cases leaves them unable to walk.

But what’s another challenge for a brave girl like Hallee? Her mantra for herself and others with long roads ahead: ‘Just go out there and do your best.’

So, what is your reaction to Hallee’s story? Did her brave and unrelenting nature light a fire in you?

Wow what a beautiful hero. I have family friends that their youngest was born with spina bifida. She is now in her 40’s and I’m so proud of her, as I am of you Hallee. Keep up doing what you do.

View attachment 8186

View attachment 8187

Key Takeaways

WOW. Just wish our politicians had the same get up and go as this lady has, It will be wonderfull to see her at those Olympics

Brilliant young girl. I wish her lots of love, joy, happiness and for her achieve anything in life she wants. Such a positive young person.

Reactions: Ezzy and Ricci

View attachment 8186

View attachment 8187

Key Takeaways

A truly inspirational story of a remarkable young lady. I am sure she will do well at the 2028 Paralympics. Congratulations Hallee proving to the disbelievers how you were able to make the impossible possible.

Reactions: Ricci