Think artificial sweeteners are safe? Experts warn they may cause diabetes

Eating an excessive amount of sweets can eventually lead to diabetes – we know, we know. It’s old news and is the main reason why diet sodas, low-sugar food alternatives, and artificial sweeteners took supermarkets by storm.

Thanks to these products, you can now satisfy your sweet tooth worry-free! Seems too good to be true, eh? Well… It is. The truth is that artificial sweeteners typically used in diet sodas and low-fat desserts aren’t as safe as big companies claim they are.

Researchers from the Weizmann Institute of Science warned that the main ingredient is just as harmful as regular sugar, if not more, after discovering that artificial sweeteners make it more difficult for cells to absorb sugar.

They conducted a study wherein 120 participants were given one of four sweeteners or a placebo up to three times a week at doses lower than the recommended limits, with an observation period of 14 days.

They only recruited healthy people around 29 years old who have never consumed artificial sweeteners before. Then, the participants were randomly divided into six groups.

To monitor how the sweeteners affect blood sugar levels, participants were asked to wear glucose monitors for the entirety of the trial. In addition, stool samples were also taken from the participants and implanted into mice who had no gut microbiome.

z5eplB25gSLRfsAjExa-99bd-NLBEIc4BLFCsdvSddUcAFcH2jV6GEc4biX8_BcB7BAYOtWOv3JS1MArdRjwr2ZIo24UWB2QMW-7mEOnKI-w03MZC4tr_KkPf8RkNF2_4DdkuvZA_Gdwo3fO4l3W4Q0

Are artificial sweeteners as healthy as they seem? Source: Insider

Results showed that those who consumed Aspartame and Stevia–often found in diet sodas and juices–had an altered gut microbiome. On the other hand, those who were given Saccharin and Sucralose–a common sugar substitute in baking–-struggled to absorb sugar.

'Our trial has shown that non-nutritive sweeteners may impair glucose responses by altering our microbiome.’ Dr Eran Elinav, the microbiologist who led the study, explained.

'In my opinion as a physician, once it has been noted that non-nutritive sweeteners are not inert to the human body, denying their potential impacts on human health is at the responsibility of those promoting their use.’

'We should not assume that artificial sweeteners are safe until proven otherwise. Until then, caution is advised.'

He added that consuming sugars continued to be a 'well-proven health risk for obesity, diabetes, and other complications'.

C3NQE33RqEV461kKT2k2TAx26QSmslylSWInwy0xTa2ge7XBrlPYMeel4yLd_aFRTjAl7uBlAphksErdQTat4WdvC5aBMyZTFaxjgQq12aYkUCJDywaN0fHHg9HOlTeoDfVCOK1uZGb2GoAslHuxyg4

Keep an eye out for food items that could lead to diabetes. Source: Unsplash

Countless studies made in the past have also linked the ingredient to a higher risk of type 2 diabetes, heart disease, and obesity. However, the studies also reported that they can assist in short-term weight loss.

But while evidence suggests that artificial sweeteners may help with short-term weight loss, there aren’t enough studies made about its long-term effects yet. A few papers warned that they may even lead to weight gain in the long run.

The World Health Organisation launched a public consultation on the health effects of sweeteners this year, as they venture out into studying more and more food items.

They said: 'Results from prospective cohort studies suggest the possibility of long-term harm in the form of increased risk of obesity, type 2 diabetes, cardiovascular diseases, and mortality.’

'Further research is needed to determine whether the observed associations are genuine, or a result of the study design.'

While all of the sweeteners tested in the study have been approved for consumption by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), one of the best ways to go about it is to avoid consuming sweets regularly and excessively. Eating everything in moderation is never a bad idea!

What are your thoughts about this study? Are you guilty of consuming artificial sweeteners regularly? Let us know in the comments below!

Reactions: Ricci and Suzy88
Sponsored
Eating an excessive amount of sweets can eventually lead to diabetes – we know, we know. It’s old news and is the main reason why diet sodas, low-sugar food alternatives, and artificial sweeteners took supermarkets by storm.

Thanks to these products, you can now satisfy your sweet tooth worry-free! Seems too good to be true, eh? Well… It is. The truth is that artificial sweeteners typically used in diet sodas and low-fat desserts aren’t as safe as big companies claim they are.

Researchers from the Weizmann Institute of Science warned that the main ingredient is just as harmful as regular sugar, if not more, after discovering that artificial sweeteners make it more difficult for cells to absorb sugar.

They conducted a study wherein 120 participants were given one of four sweeteners or a placebo up to three times a week at doses lower than the recommended limits, with an observation period of 14 days.

They only recruited healthy people around 29 years old who have never consumed artificial sweeteners before. Then, the participants were randomly divided into six groups.

To monitor how the sweeteners affect blood sugar levels, participants were asked to wear glucose monitors for the entirety of the trial. In addition, stool samples were also taken from the participants and implanted into mice who had no gut microbiome.

z5eplB25gSLRfsAjExa-99bd-NLBEIc4BLFCsdvSddUcAFcH2jV6GEc4biX8_BcB7BAYOtWOv3JS1MArdRjwr2ZIo24UWB2QMW-7mEOnKI-w03MZC4tr_KkPf8RkNF2_4DdkuvZA_Gdwo3fO4l3W4Q0

Results showed that those who consumed Aspartame and Stevia–often found in diet sodas and juices–had an altered gut microbiome. On the other hand, those who were given Saccharin and Sucralose–a common sugar substitute in baking–-struggled to absorb sugar.

'Our trial has shown that non-nutritive sweeteners may impair glucose responses by altering our microbiome.’ Dr Eran Elinav, the microbiologist who led the study, explained.

'In my opinion as a physician, once it has been noted that non-nutritive sweeteners are not inert to the human body, denying their potential impacts on human health is at the responsibility of those promoting their use.’

'We should not assume that artificial sweeteners are safe until proven otherwise. Until then, caution is advised.'

He added that consuming sugars continued to be a 'well-proven health risk for obesity, diabetes, and other complications'.

C3NQE33RqEV461kKT2k2TAx26QSmslylSWInwy0xTa2ge7XBrlPYMeel4yLd_aFRTjAl7uBlAphksErdQTat4WdvC5aBMyZTFaxjgQq12aYkUCJDywaN0fHHg9HOlTeoDfVCOK1uZGb2GoAslHuxyg4

Countless studies made in the past have also linked the ingredient to a higher risk of type 2 diabetes, heart disease, and obesity. However, the studies also reported that they can assist in short-term weight loss.

But while evidence suggests that artificial sweeteners may help with short-term weight loss, there aren’t enough studies made about its long-term effects yet. A few papers warned that they may even lead to weight gain in the long run.

The World Health Organisation launched a public consultation on the health effects of sweeteners this year, as they venture out into studying more and more food items.

They said: 'Results from prospective cohort studies suggest the possibility of long-term harm in the form of increased risk of obesity, type 2 diabetes, cardiovascular diseases, and mortality.’

'Further research is needed to determine whether the observed associations are genuine, or a result of the study design.'

While all of the sweeteners tested in the study have been approved for consumption by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), one of the best ways to go about it is to avoid consuming sweets regularly and excessively. Eating everything in moderation is never a bad idea!

What are your thoughts about this study? Are you guilty of consuming artificial sweeteners regularly? Let us know in the comments below!
Artificial sweeteners have been around for over 50 years and they need more research ?

Reactions: Ricci
After being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes several years ago I began using artificial sweeteners. After prolonged use my hair started to break off, my skin dried up, my nails split vertically and my appetite increased hugely. I put on a large amount of weight.
I stopped using artificial sweeteners a year ago and now everything has returned to normal and I have dropped 30kg.
I just make sure that I am aware of sugar and carbohydrate content in food and drinks and limit my intake of them. My blood glucose levels have also dropped considerably.

Just remember, there is a BIG difference between Type 1 Diabetes and Type 2 Diabetes. Type 1 D is mostly what children get, where their bodies mistakingly destroyed the Beta Cells in their Pancreas. It is NOT because they ate too many sweets. Type 2 Diabetes is an Adult Onset Diabetes where most of the diabetics are overweight. They still have their Beta Cells in their Pancreas that make insulin, but it can't reach the place to lower their blood sugar.

Just catching up hey?!?! Ultra processed foods, in any form, are harmful to our gut microbial, which is the key to our health!!!

Reactions: debjane
Just remember, there is a BIG difference between Type 1 Diabetes and Type 2 Diabetes. Type 1 D is mostly what children get, where their bodies mistakingly destroyed the Beta Cells in their Pancreas. It is NOT because they ate too many sweets. Type 2 Diabetes is an Adult Onset Diabetes where most of the diabetics are overweight. They still have their Beta Cells in their Pancreas that make insulin, but it can't reach the place to lower their blood sugar.
Not always true I'm afraid. I am a type 2 insulin dependent diabetic. My Pancreas stopped working and no longer produces any insulin at all. If I had been younger I would have been diagnosed a type 1 but as I'm retired type 2 it is. I could lose a ridiculous amount of weight, eat the perfect diet, do all the exercising and it would not make one iota of difference, I would still be insulin dependent.:(

I’ve been using Stevia for a few years, there are no calories in it and apparently is used by people who suffer from diabetes. I’m not a diabetic, by the way!

Reactions: Ricci