Things That Only Grandmothers Know: Celebrating the Bridge Generation Part II

Note from the Editor:
This article was kindly written for the SDC by member Josephine G. Missed part I? Catch up here.

This continues my tribute to a dying breed, a generation of women of sixty-odd years ago whose contribution to the world has never been applauded, nor has their pain, striving, and sacrifice been acknowledged. They are the women who, by their ordinary effortful lives, facilitated the momentous shifts in human consciousness that allow the young women of today, their grandchildren, to enjoy the freedom of choice about their lifestyles and their careers, which the young could not imagine being without.

The way these women coped was truly heroic. They suffered the sudden erasure of what they thought were indelible rules for life, along with the demolition of all their certainties. They maintained their commitment to motherhood, to doing the best by their husbands and children. This dedication and its significance for the generations that followed deserve to be valued and celebrated.

compressed-shutterstock_1842776614.jpeg
Celebrating the bridge generation. Image Credit: Shutterstock

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
Really loved reading this insight into my generation, I was a stay at home mum but like many was made it feel that it just wasn’t enough, I should be trying to always do more, but I was there to do all the little things at school, like reading and craft day and the canteen which then helped out those that wanted to or had to go to work , and be there for drop off , pick up, all assemblies etc. now I’m asked what I did before I retired and I proudly say I was a stay at home mum!!

I enjoyed reading this article as well. I was a "stay at home mum" until the last of my 4 boys started school. I never was made to feel I should be doing more. I was way too busy to stop & think about it. My hubby always worked 2 jobs so we could afford our meagre lifestyle. We didn't have much & never craved it like the later generation seem to. I did go back to work part time when the children were off to school but only during school hrs. We never had after school care in those days. I loved my days at home with the kiddies (tho having 4 boys could be stressful at times!) And now have 7 beautiful grandkids. Must say the new generation of women are put under more stress to contribute to the household expenses & do all the normal duties as well. I'd say it's a lot harder for women these days.

Fine; now about the blokes who had and have no choice but to work on the production line, in the foundries, doing the garbage collection, maintaining the sewerage system, delivering the post etcetera, all repetitious jobs commonly dull and some dangerous to bring in an income hard-fought for by more commonly blokes running the then Trade Unions........ Ralph Vaughan William's hymn, courtesy of the Old Testament, "Let us now praise famous men", or rather two lines thereof, comes to mind;

"And some there be which have no memorial;
Who are perished, as though they had never been."

There have been plenty of those, dead, buried and forgotten, including the miners who died of silicosis and black lung and without whom no-one would have achieved great fame or have been celebrated.

Fine; now about the blokes who had and have no choice but to work on the production line, in the foundries, doing the garbage collection, maintaining the sewerage system, delivering the post etcetera, all repetitious jobs commonly dull and some dangerous to bring in an income hard-fought for by more commonly blokes running the then Trade Unions........ Ralph Vaughan William's hymn, courtesy of the Old Testament, "Let us now praise famous men", or rather two lines thereof, comes to mind;

"And some there be which have no memorial;
Who are perished, as though they had never been."

There have been plenty of those, dead, buried and forgotten, including the miners who died of silicosis and black lung and without whom no-one would have achieved great fame or have been celebrated.
Hi @Rob44,

If you're interested in writing a full piece for us on this topic, we'd love to feature it!

Feel free to email me at [email protected] with ATTN: April somewhere in the email.

i was a 1960 bride, 3 months short of 21. I do not who these helpless women are, but I certainly was never ever made to feel useless I later had 2 small daughters, and at 2half and 6 months, My darling husband wandered off to another. I coped, I got on with what I had to do. I do not remember crying, I guess I must have. I get a bit pissed off with some of these reports. Life in general can be a bitch.

I enjoyed reading this article as well. I was a "stay at home mum" until the last of my 4 boys started school. I never was made to feel I should be doing more. I was way too busy to stop & think about it. My hubby always worked 2 jobs so we could afford our meagre lifestyle. We didn't have much & never craved it like the later generation seem to. I did go back to work part time when the children were off to school but only during school hrs. We never had after school care in those days. I loved my days at home with the kiddies (tho having 4 boys could be stressful at times!) And now have 7 beautiful grandkids. Must say the new generation of women are put under more stress to contribute to the household expenses & do all the normal duties as well. I'd say it's a lot harder for women these days.
i guess it is exhausting turning on switches. just a minute i wish to choke.

Really loved reading this insight into my generation, I was a stay at home mum but like many was made it feel that it just wasn’t enough, I should be trying to always do more, but I was there to do all the little things at school, like reading and craft day and the canteen which then helped out those that wanted to or had to go to work , and be there for drop off , pick up, all assemblies etc. now I’m asked what I did before I retired and I proudly say I was a stay at home mum!!
My wife chose to be a stay at home wife she actually asked if I would mind I said if that is what you want then do it she then worried we wouldn't afford a home we did buy a home 1983 then 5years later extended the home 1988 then 1995 built a big home 5 bedrooms 42 square all on my wage and never had any regrets now she has her farm which she always wanted

I’m a 76 year old mother of 3 sons and 1 daughter, Grandmother to 10 and Great Grandmother to 8 I love them all dearly. I was a stay at home Mum, and later looked after grandchildren and great grandchildren while their Mums worked.
And yes I feel guilt still that I could have done more. That’s just the way I was raised I guess.