Thief caught on camera prompts Australia Post warning

December is here, and it’s the perfect time of year for online Christmas shopping. But for some, festive presents may come with a package of danger too.

In a video circulating online captured in Kambah, ACT, a hooded man is seen snatching two parcels worth around $200 just two minutes after an Australia Post van had delivered them.

The anonymous poster asked: 'Please beware, guys. It might be that they are following the [Australia Post] van and stealing packages he drops off at people’s houses.'

‘Anyone recognise this car or person?’ they asked in a social media group.

‘This afternoon around 6:15 p.m., Australia Post dropped my parcel off at the front door. At 6:17 p.m. these scumbags pull up and steal it!’

Screenshot 2023-12-05 115731.png
A man was caught on camera stealing parcels that were delivered by Australia Post. Image: Facebook

The package allegedly contained a clothing store Seed set that was supposed to be a gift on Christmas. The crime was reported to the police, however, the car couldn’t be tracked as they believed it had stolen number plates.

As Australians enter the holiday season facing cost of living pressures, some have said it is likely that some criminals could commit such tactics to steal.

NSW Detective Inspector Adam Wilson told a news source: 'We do see a spike in parcel theft particularly around the Christmas period, where they’re obviously targeting gifts and Christmas hampers that people pay off through the year and have delivered to their home.’

‘Most of these offences are opportunist, which means that the people involved in parcel theft or offenders will simply drive around the streets looking for unattended parcels.'

ACT Police said the incident was reported and said: ‘If people are concerned about thefts of parcels, they can consider using parcel lockers or, if possible, click and collect via a local retailer.’

‘Anyone with information in relation to this incident is urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000, quoting reference number 7607590.’

Meanwhile, an Australia Post spokesperson told a news source: ‘Theft after delivery is a criminal offence, and customers should contact the police if they suspect their mail has been tampered with or stolen.’

‘Customers are encouraged to download the Aus Post app, where they can choose to redirect parcels to their local Post Office, a PO Box or a 24/7 parcel locker. This can be done even when the parcel is already on its way, providing a secure and convenient alternative to home delivery.’

To protect your packages this holiday season, Kate Browne, a personal finance expert at Finder, shared some tips.
  • Track your parcel: Most parcels come with a tracking number so you can follow where it’s heading. ‘In most cases they’ll send you a message with an estimated delivery day so you can make sure you’re at home to receive it,’ she said.
  • Sign on delivery: Retailers give you the option to ‘sign on delivery’, and it will add protection for your parcel. If you’re not home, you’ll need to go to the post office to receive your package.
  • Set up a porch cam: A decent security camera at your door can not only deter parcel thieves but also help you catch them if they do take off with a parcel.
Key Takeaways
  • An online thief stole $200 worth of presents moments after they were delivered to an ACT resident's home.
  • The theft was caught on a security camera and it is assumed that thieves may possibly be following Australia Post vans to steal packages.
  • ACT Police confirmed the incident and offered advice on alternate ways to receive parcels to prevent theft.
  • Australia Post, personal finance experts, and police are urging customers to utilise tracking, signing on delivery, porch cameras and parcel lockers to better secure their parcels.

What do you think of this story? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
December is here, and it’s the perfect time of year for online Christmas shopping. But for some, festive presents may come with a package of danger too.

In a video circulating online captured in Kambah, ACT, a hooded man is seen snatching two parcels worth around $200 just two minutes after an Australia Post van had delivered them.

The anonymous poster asked: 'Please beware, guys. It might be that they are following the [Australia Post] van and stealing packages he drops off at people’s houses.'

‘This afternoon around 6:15 p.m., Australia Post dropped my parcel off at the front door. At 6:17 p.m. these scumbags pull up and steal it!’

View attachment 36656
A man was caught on camera stealing parcels that were delivered by Australia Post. Image: Facebook

The package allegedly contained a clothing store Seed set that was supposed to be a gift on Christmas. The crime was reported to the police, however, the car couldn’t be tracked as they believed it had stolen number plates.

As Australians enter the holiday season facing cost of living pressures, some have said it is likely that some criminals could commit such tactics to steal.

NSW Detective Inspector Adam Wilson told a news source: 'We do see a spike in parcel theft particularly around the Christmas period, where they’re obviously targeting gifts and Christmas hampers that people pay off through the year and have delivered to their home.’

‘Most of these offences are opportunist, which means that the people involved in parcel theft or offenders will simply drive around the streets looking for unattended parcels.'

ACT Police said the incident was reported and said: ‘If people are concerned about thefts of parcels, they can consider using parcel lockers or, if possible, click and collect via a local retailer.’

‘Anyone with information in relation to this incident is urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000, quoting reference number 7607590.’

Meanwhile, an Australia Post spokesperson told a news source: ‘Theft after delivery is a criminal offence, and customers should contact the police if they suspect their mail has been tampered with or stolen.’

‘Customers are encouraged to download the Aus Post app, where they can choose to redirect parcels to their local Post Office, a PO Box or a 24/7 parcel locker. This can be done even when the parcel is already on its way, providing a secure and convenient alternative to home delivery.’

To protect your packages this holiday season, Kate Browne, a personal finance expert at Finder, shared some tips.
  • Track your parcel: Most parcels come with a tracking number so you can follow where it’s heading. ‘In most cases they’ll send you a message with an estimated delivery day so you can make sure you’re at home to receive it,’ she said.
  • Sign on delivery: Retailers give you the option to ‘sign on delivery’, and it will add protection for your parcel. If you’re not home, you’ll need to go to the post office to receive your package.
  • Set up a porch cam: A decent security camera at your door can not only deter parcel thieves but also help you catch them if they do take off with a parcel.
Key Takeaways

• An online thief stole $200 worth of presents moments after they were delivered to an ACT resident's home.
  • The theft was caught on a security camera and it is assumed that thieves may possibly be following Australia Post vans to steal packages.
  • ACT Police confirmed the incident and offered advice on alternate ways to receive parcels to prevent theft.
  • Australia Post, personal finance experts, and police are urging customers to utilise tracking, signing on delivery, porch cameras and parcel lockers to better secure their parcels.

They ain't getting my mail - got a P.O Box that ALL my mail goes too as i live in the WORST, UNSOCIABLE, DECREPIT neighborhood going - full of looneys who steal anything that isn't built into the ground, use all their AC's in the house and then start up their fireplace in the heat of SUMMER, freak out if they see someone out in their own yard or are in the not so legal pharmaceuticals life and attract even more undesirable people to be lurking around - Moral of this true story - If a real estate agent tell you it is a lovely quiet neighbourhood - RUN!!!! and find another real estate agent and house to look at).

This is why we have a P.O box So we GET our mail whether it is letters or parcels.

They ain't getting my mail - got a P.O Box that ALL my mail goes too as i live in the WORST, UNSOCIABLE, DECREPIT neighborhood going - full of looneys who steal anything that isn't built into the ground, use all their AC's in the house and then start up their fireplace in the heat of SUMMER, freak out if they see someone out in their own yard or are in the not so legal pharmaceuticals life and attract even more undesirable people to be lurking around - Moral of this true story - If a real estate agent tell you it is a lovely quiet neighbourhood - RUN!!!! and find another real estate agent and house to look at).

This is why we have a P.O box So we GET our mail whether it is letters or parcels.
Crickey really poor you. I did my research before I moved into my neighbourhood and I love it here having moved over from tassie 5 years ago.😍

the sad thing is you can't choose who moves next door or down the street,,when we moved it was a very quiet lovely area but now the kids have grown up and are hoons along with their friends ,,2 and 3 dogs in one yard who bark pretty much all day from boredom or the owner doesn't give a flying fox about it,,,times are not like long ago

View attachment 36656

Key Takeaways

Bloody parasites need a baseball ⚾️ bat between the eye's maggots 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

i got a P.O. box too so they dont get my mail, is a great investment for security of my mail?!

Poor thing, sounds terrible. Is it not possible for you to move? 😔

View attachment 36656

Key Takeaways

I sent my son and grandchildren's presents to my sons address in Brisbane, I paid the extra money sending it registered so he would have to sign for it at the post office as the parcel had money and a $100 dollar credit card it, also 3 monogrammed towels. I get sent and email saying it was delivered to his address. I rang Australian Post and waited 20 mins to speak with someone. I spoke to a male whom told me that he had a photo of the delivery and it was at my sons front door (where anyone could walk in and steal it) I told this man I had sent it registered with a signature to pick up. He tried to get it picked up again and taken to the post office. I was assured this would be done promptly. But 5 hours later my son sent me a photo of the parcel still at his front door. UNBELIEVABLE.