'They've outpriced us': Mum unearths $280 find at Salvation Army

Op-shopping, affectionately known as thrifting, has long been a treasure hunt for bargain hunters and environmentally conscious shoppers.

It's a place where one person's discard becomes another's delight and where the thrill of the find is as much a part of the experience as the savings.

What happens when the prices at these charitable institutions start to resemble those of high-end retail stores?

Melbourne-based mum and op-shopper Nicole Preece was in disbelief at the price tags she encountered at her local Salvation Army store.

Among the items was a second-hand rug priced at a staggering $280, complete with an unwelcome addition of pet hair.

She also stumbled upon a pair of 'heavily stained' trainers for $12, which smelled as if a feline freshly marked them.

compressed-photo - salvos.jpeg
Mum and online content creator Nicole Preece expressed her disappointment towards the charity shop in a video. Image Credit: TikTok/Aussie Mum to Six

A pair of jeans with a 'crusty crotch' was on sale, and a pre-loved karaoke machine, sans microphone, were priced at $29 and $299, respectively.

It's a discovery that sparked a conversation about charity shop pricing and their accessibility to those they aim to serve.

Ms Preece took to social media and shared her experience in a four-minute video that quickly caught the attention of outraged Aussies.

'I've seen charity shops charge double the price for an Anko Kmart brand brand new,' one commenter wrote.

'I think they have outpriced the lower income earners,' a second wrote.

'Mornington Salvation Army, please comment on why your prices are so ridiculous?' another comment read as they called out another Salvation Army branch.

The Salvation Army, a cornerstone of charitable giving and support for those in need, stated on its website that its stores offer 'second-hand or vintage pieces at an affordable price'.

The profits from these sales were meant to fund community programs, providing free goods to those facing hardship.

However, the experiences shared by Ms Preece and others suggest a disconnect between the organisation's mission and the reality of its pricing.

In response to the outcry, some savvy shoppers have offered tips, such as inquiring if an item is old stock, which could lead to a price reduction.

Yet, the underlying issue remains: are charity shops losing sight of their purpose to provide affordable goods to those in need?

'If people are having to steal from an op shop, it's proof right there it's too expensive,' a viewer pointed out.

'If they're not a charity, they can start paying more tax!' one exclaimed.

In a previous story, Ms Preece also called out the shop for a $250 dinnerware set—a staggering price compared to their commitment to affordability.

As of this writing, Salvation Army Australia has not yet issued any statements regarding the issue.
Key Takeaways

• An Aussie mum expressed her shock at high prices for second-hand items at a Salvation Army shop.
  • She found items such as a second-hand rug priced at $280 and a karaoke machine for $299 in poor condition.
  • She posted a video about her experience that sparked a debate about charity stores and their pricing.
  • The Salvation Army stated on their website that their shops offer affordable second-hand items, with profits going towards community programs.
Have you found that the prices at your local op shops have increased over the years? Share your stories and thoughts in the comments below.

Sponsored
Oh, for God sake! An opportunity shop is selling good to RAISE MONEY FOR A CHARITY. It is not a for-profit organisation, it is a CHARITY. Nearly all the staff are VOLUNTEERS who have to quickly sort piles of donated good to prepare them for sale. They don't have the time or facilities to wash items prior to sale. And they are not experts in pricing, they are volunteers. If you think something is too expensive in a charity shop GO ELSEWHERE and pay full price. And please, stop whinging about the work of volunteers who are giving their time to help their community.

My friend and l love the op shops, we have found the Salvation Army's stores are rather expensive. My friend asked one day. Who prices the items? Does it come from the top?
The lady answered. On no we put our own prices on the items.
We were rather taken aback by this.
I don't know about other op shops but that was the Salvation Army in the North East suburbs of Melbourne.
Kind regards to all Vicki
My friend and l love the op shops, we have found the Salvation Army's stores are rather expensive. My friend asked one day. Who prices the items? Does it come from the top?
The lady answered. On no we put our own prices on the items.
We were rather taken aback by this.
I don't know about other op shops but that was the Salvation Army in the North East suburbs of Melbourne.
Kind regards to all Vicki
They don't seem to realise that they are cutting their own throat

Reactions: Veggiepatch
Oh, for God sake! An opportunity shop is selling good to RAISE MONEY FOR A CHARITY. It is not a for-profit organisation, it is a CHARITY. Nearly all the staff are VOLUNTEERS who have to quickly sort piles of donated good to prepare them for sale. They don't have the time or facilities to wash items prior to sale. And they are not experts in pricing, they are volunteers. If you think something is too expensive in a charity shop GO ELSEWHERE and pay full price. And please, stop whinging about the work of volunteers who are giving their time to help their community.
You just don't get it do you Willfish of what the whole concept of Op shops it's time for you to grow up

I think you may have misunderstood what l was saying. I wasn't complaining about the cost of the items. I was just saying l have found the Salvation army is a bit more expensive than other op shops. It hasn't stopped me from purchasing from the Salvation Army. And l truly do appreciate the hard work the volunteers put in.
Have a great night.
Kind regards Vicki

Salvos stores are no longer run to help the needy out. They are now a business run organization. Not only are all the items in the store often priced out of reach of a struggling household income, they also have Boutique racks as well. These are the more expensive clothing brands including shoes, bags etc that are often priced above what you'd pay for them brand new. Stores also have their own online stores where they sell name brand clothing, vintage & collectable items and anything else they think they can get money for.
I prefer to stick to buying from op shops that are not well known charities as they usually support a lesser known organization such as a sporting club or a church.

My op shop so far, has resisted the bite of the greed grub.
They have the best clothes. All in fabulous condition and prices start from $1. I've bought some fantastic clothes there and often walk out with a bag brim full for under 6 or 7 dollars. That's a proper op shop.

I have donated goods to salvos , vincents ets. Every thing I donate is first class. Unfortunately I find going into these stores they have a smell about them. Don't know what it is but not nice. Yes I agree they are so expensive now. Look at KMart and Best and Less.