'They've outpriced us': Mum unearths $280 find at Salvation Army

Op-shopping, affectionately known as thrifting, has long been a treasure hunt for bargain hunters and environmentally conscious shoppers.

It's a place where one person's discard becomes another's delight and where the thrill of the find is as much a part of the experience as the savings.

What happens when the prices at these charitable institutions start to resemble those of high-end retail stores?

Melbourne-based mum and op-shopper Nicole Preece was in disbelief at the price tags she encountered at her local Salvation Army store.

Among the items was a second-hand rug priced at a staggering $280, complete with an unwelcome addition of pet hair.

She also stumbled upon a pair of 'heavily stained' trainers for $12, which smelled as if a feline freshly marked them.

compressed-photo - salvos.jpeg
Mum and online content creator Nicole Preece expressed her disappointment towards the charity shop in a video. Image Credit: TikTok/Aussie Mum to Six

A pair of jeans with a 'crusty crotch' was on sale, and a pre-loved karaoke machine, sans microphone, were priced at $29 and $299, respectively.

It's a discovery that sparked a conversation about charity shop pricing and their accessibility to those they aim to serve.

Ms Preece took to social media and shared her experience in a four-minute video that quickly caught the attention of outraged Aussies.

'I've seen charity shops charge double the price for an Anko Kmart brand brand new,' one commenter wrote.

'I think they have outpriced the lower income earners,' a second wrote.

'Mornington Salvation Army, please comment on why your prices are so ridiculous?' another comment read as they called out another Salvation Army branch.

The Salvation Army, a cornerstone of charitable giving and support for those in need, stated on its website that its stores offer 'second-hand or vintage pieces at an affordable price'.

The profits from these sales were meant to fund community programs, providing free goods to those facing hardship.

However, the experiences shared by Ms Preece and others suggest a disconnect between the organisation's mission and the reality of its pricing.

In response to the outcry, some savvy shoppers have offered tips, such as inquiring if an item is old stock, which could lead to a price reduction.

Yet, the underlying issue remains: are charity shops losing sight of their purpose to provide affordable goods to those in need?

'If people are having to steal from an op shop, it's proof right there it's too expensive,' a viewer pointed out.

'If they're not a charity, they can start paying more tax!' one exclaimed.

In a previous story, Ms Preece also called out the shop for a $250 dinnerware set—a staggering price compared to their commitment to affordability.

As of this writing, Salvation Army Australia has not yet issued any statements regarding the issue.
Key Takeaways

• An Aussie mum expressed her shock at high prices for second-hand items at a Salvation Army shop.
  • She found items such as a second-hand rug priced at $280 and a karaoke machine for $299 in poor condition.
  • She posted a video about her experience that sparked a debate about charity stores and their pricing.
  • The Salvation Army stated on their website that their shops offer affordable second-hand items, with profits going towards community programs.
Have you found that the prices at your local op shops have increased over the years? Share your stories and thoughts in the comments below.

Sponsored
Has been a few months since l was in a charity store & l do feel the prices asked, for what are afterall donated goods are unacceptable. Staff volunteer at these stores with the exception on the Manager & possibly one other person. Rent, lighting & water would need to be paid, but other than those mentioned what other operating costs are attributable to these stores?

This is a true story. I stopped going to the opp shopps, simply because their prices are rediculously high. I saw a handbag once that I liked a lot. When I saw the price tag, I nearly fainted, $80 !!! and no it wasn't a Gucci bag. 2nd Hand dresses were also $30 + no thank you. I buy new bags and dresses at Kmart that I can afford. I know it's for charity, but I'm almost a charity case myself. They are going to loose more sales for charity if they ask these prices and bad stuff items.
GUCCI

Yes only today I went to the op shop to get some second hand ski clothes for the Grand Kids. I bought 2 kids ski jackets and 2 kids ski pants and one pair adults ski pants and it cost me $200.
In the aldi brochure kids full outfit with goggles, helmet. jacket,beanie pants,gloves and Thermoboots for $159.95....mmm!!!!

So how else does The Salvos , and others raise the massive amount of money needed to help those needing food parcels and the other services .
Just like any retail stores ; you don't have to buy a thing and you can always ask for a special price

Reactions: Gsr
We had a registered antique/2nd hand shed in our district. I had a perouse around and all I could see was complete rubbish neatly on show. Broken & chipped glass ware was common with ridiculous prices. The only place it was useful was in the rubbish bin. They weren't around very long & shut up shop. I wonder why. "?"

Yep in recent years The Salvos and Vinnies have gone from selling reasonably priced secondhand goods to ridiculously high prices. Some things like jewelry and other collectable items are now priced at market value, which is fair enough. However, generally, their stock is overpriced for what it is. You rarely find a bargain at The Salvos or Vinnies these days. Thank goodness there are still a few genuine OP Shops left that still sell at Op Shop prices.

I have worked in op shop for 16 Years and am amazed at what people donate thinking anyone would want their rubbish.we sell at very reasonable prices but also throw away rubbish.we have people washing and ironing the clothes so the sorters get rid of dirty clothes

Op shopping used to be a nice outing even if I did not end up buying anything. i stopped doing it a few years ago when the prices of a lot of goods went up considerably. I have a friend who buys most of her clothes from the op shops, she gets some really nice items at reasonable prices. I donate to op shops but never give anything I would not be happy to buy and I always wash everything that is washable before I donate it.

Reactions: Ezzy and Rosita1950
Just recently, in the last 4 months, Salves Richmond has become so expensive we've stopped wasting our time going there, a bag of 5 second hand hotwheels cars for $12, they're only 2 bucks brand new, also another bag with 10 cars and 1 Thomas the Tank engine, $25, realistically worth 10 bucks. They've forgotten, they got the stuff donated for free and turnover is their friend, not being stuck with stuff sitting there for months. Plus they pay wages, Vinnies have all volunteers, except managers, but they're overpriced too.

I love Op shops! They are my happy place! Yes, sometimes some of them charge exorbitant prices, but if they do, I just go to another one. I buy almost all my clothes at Op shops and I love them. My lovely uggies, which are keeping my feet watm at the moment cost me $4 at Rainbow Beach Vinnies. I am lucky to live near Nambour which is the Op Shop capital of the Sunny Coast! :)

So how else does The Salvos , and others raise the massive amount of money needed to help those needing food parcels and the other services .
Just like any retail stores ; you don't have to buy a thing and you can always ask for a special price
The salvation theft shops. Massive thieves. Tax them

• Haha
Reactions: Veggiepatch
My wife does Volunteer Work in an Op Shop, and she tells me that the pricing policy is generally decided by the Manager.
It pays to shop around, here in Ulverstone on Tasmania's NW Coast, the Salvation Army shop sells EVERYTHING for $1 each, and the clothes are all cleaned and pressed! Others, such as Vinnies go for bigger money, but sell a hell of a lot less than the Salvos !

Op shops are now beyond customers buying anything. I am appalled at the prices they charge, especially Salvos & Vinnies. We only now donate to the smaller run op shops. . One especially at Pakenham, . Victoria. We drive 20 minutes to donate there & bypass heaps more but take to them only now.

I love going and browsing in op shops but over the past year or two I've been gobsmacked at the ridiculous prices.

I don't know how it is helping the needy!.

I have so many clothes I want to give away all in new condition and alot with tags. But I'm now weary giving them to charities . I'm hoping to come across someone who needs them.

If anyone needs clothing personal message me. I will also pay the postage.

I have dresses, jumpers, coats, jeans all size 12 and 14

My friend and l love the op shops, we have found the Salvation Army's stores are rather expensive. My friend asked one day. Who prices the items? Does it come from the top?
The lady answered. On no we put our own prices on the items.
We were rather taken aback by this.
I don't know about other op shops but that was the Salvation Army in the North East suburbs of Melbourne.
Kind regards to all Vicki

Reactions: Johan van Zalen