SX2002

Aug 23, 2021
Adelaide
They're back...

I haven't seen these girls in our garden for a couple of years now, today they came back. One of Australia's 2,000 species of native bees. And my favourite, the Blue Banded Bee, so named for obvious reasons..:)

DSC_0510.JPG

DSC_0522.JPG

• Love
Reactions: bugsytom and Rotty
Great photography. I am a new member and I love nature and have many photo's taken over my 72 years. I have made many books with the best through
Snapfish and they are cheap and easy to do. Cheers for your detailed shot.

Thanks Rotty, I've been a nature photographer (and pretty much everything else) over many years as well. My favourite "things" are birds and insects.
I'm currently working on a project, doing macro photography of insects for the SA Museum. My other volunteer "job" is doing the photography for the restoration of the "City Of Adelaide" clipper ship here in Adelaide.

Great pics as usual Ron, patience is the greatest virtue in a photographer, something I lack a little.. lol

Thanks Ted. These little buggers are very quick as well so what you see are pretty much snap shots...I had only a few seconds to take each one. I took 31 shots to get 6 reasonable ones...

Agreed, stunning... I wonder if these are ever kept for honey production?
They don't have hives Jon but live in holes in the ground or trees as individuals. Some farmers have huge trailers with large banks of holes to keep these girls, and other native bees, they are mainly for pollinating crops. Native bees pollinate about 30% of Australia's crops so you can understand just how important they are..

• Wow
Reactions: Jonathan Leane