These students are going VIRAL for their 'anti-cheating' exam hats - take a look!

We've all been there before – the pressure is on during an important exam, and we start to feel the temptation to peek at our neighbour's paper to get a leg up.

Or maybe we get so desperate that we try sneaking a peek at our notes for answers. We know it's wrong, but in the moment, it can be hard to resist.

Students taking exams in one university in the Philippines, however, didn't have to worry about cheating – their professor came up with a foolproof plan to prevent any funny business.

Mary Joy Mandane-Ortiz, a Mechanical Engineering Professor at Bicol University, instructed her students to wear apparel to prevent them from taking cheeky peeks at their neighbours’ test papers.

Much to her surprise — and the whole world’s — her students went the extra mile and appeared with very creative ‘anti-cheating’ headgear!

Now, where else would you share pictures of such an amusing feat but on social media?

Prof. Mandane-Ortiz took to social media, where pictures of her students wearing everything from homemade cardboard goggles and egg carton headgear to full-on Halloween masks went viral, much to our amusement.

Of course, we won’t keep you any longer! Take a look at how her students made sure they followed her instructions:

87209fd451c52a2db54fa34f37757125.jpg
This one gave a whole new meaning to the term ‘tunnel vision’. Credit: news.com.au/Facebook/Mary Joy Mandane-Ortiz

4d1a741086bdccfae45be306cda8481f.jpg
We do hope what this bloke wore was freshly laundered. Credit: news.com.au/Facebook/Mary Joy Mandane-Ortiz

c23b9ed3f9a74ae566e1d158f9a544cf.jpg
This student deserved extra points for recycling. Credit: news.com.au/Facebook/Mary Joy Mandane-Ortiz

312279509_2897375793749416_6627461226200970885_n.jpg
This student might have had hexes and spells for anyone who dared take a peek! Credit: Facebook/Mary Joy Mandane-Ortiz

309041808_2897376007082728_6137439201535832138_n.jpg
These students must be very fun at parties, eh? Credit: Facebook/Mary Joy Mandane-Ortiz

Mandane-Ortiz also was quick to deflect credit for her now-viral exam scheme, explaining that she was inspired by a similar gimmick in Thailand years ago.

She was also thankful that despite her initial intentions to discourage cheating, her students ended up giving a lot of people laughs.

‘They made each other happy with their creativity,’ she told local media.

‘It gave a new atmosphere (to the exam). Pressure and stress disappeared.’

At this point, you might be wondering if the students got any reward for their effort.

Key Takeaways

• Students in one Philippine university have gone viral for their 'anti-cheating' hats worn during an exam.
  • Their professor was surprised at how cheeky her students were at following her instructions.
  • The students were given bonus points for their efforts.
Thankfully, Mandane-Ortiz gave bonus points in the exam. Good on everyone in this story!

Now and then, we feature stories of students bold enough to try cheating on their exams. If you have time, check out this law professor who caught her former examinee red-handed.

So, what is your reaction to these students’ ‘anti-cheating’ efforts? Is it something you’d love to see your grandkid try?

Share your thoughts and opinions in the comments section below!

Sponsored
I've always said and believed, you cheat your only cheating yourself.

My daughter sits her final HSC exam on Wednesday PHPD I would rather she fails than cheat. I've always told my Kids as long as they study and give it 100 % I don't care what Mark they get

At trivia nights we see heaps cheating on their phones , except the jackpot question the guy says if he sees anyone on their phones then he won't except the answer

Last week we came last and I told my kids at least we didn't cheat

Last edited:
Reactions: Ezzy
We've all been there before – the pressure is on during an important exam, and we start to feel the temptation to peek at our neighbour's paper to get a leg up.

Or maybe we get so desperate that we try sneaking a peek at our notes for answers. We know it's wrong, but in the moment, it can be hard to resist.

Students taking exams in one university in the Philippines, however, didn't have to worry about cheating – their professor came up with a foolproof plan to prevent any funny business.

Mary Joy Mandane-Ortiz, a Mechanical Engineering Professor at Bicol University, instructed her students to wear apparel to prevent them from taking cheeky peeks at their neighbours’ test papers.

Much to her surprise — and the whole world’s — her students went the extra mile and appeared with very creative ‘anti-cheating’ headgear!

Now, where else would you share pictures of such an amusing feat but on social media?

Prof. Mandane-Ortiz took to social media, where pictures of her students wearing everything from homemade cardboard goggles and egg carton headgear to full-on Halloween masks went viral, much to our amusement.

Of course, we won’t keep you any longer! Take a look at how her students made sure they followed her instructions:

View attachment 7771
This one gave a whole new meaning to the term ‘tunnel vision’. Credit: news.com.au/Facebook/Mary Joy Mandane-Ortiz

View attachment 7770
We do hope what this bloke wore was freshly laundered. Credit: news.com.au/Facebook/Mary Joy Mandane-Ortiz

View attachment 7774
This student deserved extra points for recycling. Credit: news.com.au/Facebook/Mary Joy Mandane-Ortiz

View attachment 7773
This student might have had hexes and spells for anyone who dared take a peek! Credit: Facebook/Mary Joy Mandane-Ortiz

View attachment 7772
These students must be very fun at parties, eh? Credit: Facebook/Mary Joy Mandane-Ortiz

Mandane-Ortiz also was quick to deflect credit for her now-viral exam scheme, explaining that she was inspired by a similar gimmick in Thailand years ago.

She was also thankful that despite her initial intentions to discourage cheating, her students ended up giving a lot of people laughs.

‘They made each other happy with their creativity,’ she told local media.

‘It gave a new atmosphere (to the exam). Pressure and stress disappeared.’

At this point, you might be wondering if the students got any reward for their effort.

Key Takeaways

• Students in one Philippine university have gone viral for their 'anti-cheating' hats worn during an exam.
  • Their professor was surprised at how cheeky her students were at following her instructions.
  • The students were given bonus points for their efforts.
Thankfully, Mandane-Ortiz gave bonus points in the exam. Good on everyone in this story!

Now and then, we feature stories of students bold enough to try cheating on their exams. If you have time, check out this law professor who caught her former examinee red-handed.

So, what is your reaction to these students’ ‘anti-cheating’ efforts? Is it something you’d love to see your grandkid try?

Share your thoughts and opinions in the comments section below!
I wish I had these hats when I was assessing my tertiary students.

Mind you, it only took a few verbal questions to confirm someone's competence and knowledge 😉

Have to admire the ingenuity of the students. Would have been comical to see first hand too. Approx 12 months ago students doing exams at UWA were banned from wearing certain eye ware during exams because they were able to be used to project certain info to the wearer. I have seen a calculator with formulas written on paper needed for the exams inserted into a cover of the calculator.

Reactions: Suzanne rose