These are the supermarket staples you should avoid, according to a nutritionist

Navigating the supermarket aisles can be a daunting task, especially when you're trying to maintain a healthy diet.

With so many options available, it's easy to buy foods that may seem convenient and tasty but could be detrimental to your health in the long run.

Thankfully, nutritionist Sally O'Neil has shared her insights on the six supermarket buys she would never let grace her shopping trolley—and why you might want to consider doing the same.

Processed meat products: Hot dogs, sausage rolls, and frozen meat pies
'The meat inside is often questionable at best and mixed with extra garbage like low-quality breadcrumbs and other bulking agents at worst,' Sally said.

For her, the texture and ingredients in these food items are far from what you'd find in fresh, whole cuts of meat.

These items are typically high in sodium, preservatives, and unhealthy fats, which can increase the risk of chronic diseases when consumed regularly.

compressed-shutterstock_388006459.jpeg
Are you willing to part with some of your favourite supermarket items for the sake of health? Stock Image Credit: Shutterstock

Flavoured baked beans
Baked beans can be a nutritious option, providing a good source of protein and fibre.

However, Sally cautions against the flavoured varieties that often include processed sausage, bacon bits, or cheese. These additions can significantly increase the sodium and preservative content.

'Adding anything like processed sausage, bacon bits, or cheese is just low quality, high sodium crap you don’t need. Baked beans (especially sugar-reduced) are a decent source of protein and fibre—and super affordable,' she said.

Bottled salad dressings
While they may be a convenient option to add flavour to your salads quickly, Sally says store-bought dressings are often loaded with sodium, sugar, saturated fat, and excess calories.

This has prompted her to make her own salad dressings using natural ingredients.

'I usually buy tomato, sweet chilli, and BBQ sauces. The rest of the time, I make my own creamy dressings with Greek yoghurt (extra protein) or avocado—or just good old lemon juice and vinegar,' she said.

Coffee syrup
For those who enjoy flavoured coffee, Sally advises against commercial coffee syrups. These are typically just a concoction of sugar, artificial flavours, and colours, which can add unnecessary calories and chemicals to your diet.

For her, the syrup is ‘not a grand addition’ to coffee.

‘Just use actual sugar that’s more natural,’ she said.

'Tropical' juices
Sally says many juices marketed as 'tropical' are actually a mix of reconstituted juice and flavoured water, prompting an indignant ‘We don’t need it!’ from her.

These drinks are often high in added sugars and lack the fibre and nutrients found in whole fruit.

One alternative to this is hydrating with good ol’ water or enjoying whole fruit for its natural sweetness and health benefits.

Compound cooking chocolate
For the bakers out there, Sally suggests avoiding compound cooking chocolate, which is often of lower quality than regular chocolate.

‘It melts easier because of the higher fat content and tastes [bad],’ she said. ‘Just buy normal good-quality chocolate.'

This not only improves the flavour of your baked goods but also provides some health benefits when consumed in moderation.

Corn nuggets
The last supermarket buy to ditch on Sally’s list is a bite-sized treat that’s caught the fancy of more than a few of us.

She says she doesn’t quite get the hype with corn nuggets, dismissing it as a ‘vehicle for fake flavours and sugar’.

‘Roasted chickpeas make a fine substitute,’ she added.

In addition to these specific foods, Sally emphasises the importance of reading labels and understanding what's in the food you're buying. Processed foods often contain hidden sugars, unhealthy fats, and many additives that can have long-term health consequences.

As we age, it becomes even more crucial to focus on nutrient-dense foods that support our health and well-being.

By making informed choices at the supermarket, we can enjoy a variety of delicious and wholesome foods that nourish our bodies and help us maintain a vibrant lifestyle.
Key Takeaways

• Nnutritionist Sally O'Neil advises against consuming certain supermarket foods due to their questionable ingredients and unhealthy additives.
  • The foods she recommends avoiding include store-bought hot dogs, sausage rolls, frozen meat pies, salad dressing, coffee syrup, compound cooking chocolate, tropical juice, corn nuggets, and flavoured baked beans.
  • Sally makes her own healthier versions of some products, such as salad dressing, using fresh ingredients like Greek yoghurt, avocado, lemon juice, and vinegar.
  • She suggests that simple baked beans are a good source of protein and fibre and that high-quality, normal chocolate is preferable over compound cooking chocolate for baking.
We'd love to hear from you, members! Have you found any supermarket swaps that have positively impacted your health? Share your experiences and tips in the comments below!

Last edited:
Sponsored
I agree totally with Sally. I also found that (as a cancer patient in treatment) I do not tolerate any ready meals, just as well. I have a YT chef I follow for nutritious meals from a-z and proudly cook some lovely meals. Sadly many of us (me included in previous years) prefer to go for easy packed “stuff” called food. I saved money by doing it all myself and use the savings to afford on and off some dining outs at trusting restaurants. ☺️

I do not have any sauces or creams in my fridge , including tomato sauce, BBQ sauce and Mayo. Make my own dressings and have only a good quality pasta sauce in my fridge I use for pizza’s and one pot meals.
I never eat sausages , store bought meat pies , also never eat take away . Try to make healthy meals from scratch and daily bowl of fruit salad. Maybe boring for some , at least I know what is in my meals.