The Worst Diet Tips Ever - Don't Make These Huge Mistakes If You Want to Lose Weight

Ah, it’s that time of year when we make our resolutions to get in shape and drop some excess weight. As the new year starts, many of us become more aware of our health, and feel inspired to make lasting lifestyle changes.

We all know that crash diets and extreme measures are likely to have short-term success, and health experts agree that the best approach is to develop healthy eating habits that can be maintained permanently.

Unfortunately, there is a lot of misleading information out there when it comes to diet tips — from sneaky marketing ploys to bogus lifestyle hacks, many people end up wasting their time and resources to try these tips only to no avail.

We here at Seniors Discount Club are here to break down some of the most outrageous diet tips, as well as whether or not they're actually still beneficial - from crazy plate sizes to 'lifestyle swaps'.

So, without further ado, here are some of the worst diet tips that you should avoid:

pexels-photo-4474052.jpeg

There are plenty of popular weight loss tips that do not necessarily work. Credit: Pexels/Ketut Subiyanto.

Smaller plates don’t help you control the amount you eat

This diet tip encourages you to fill a smaller plate for your meals in the hopes that it will make food look bigger, and so you’ll be less likely to over-eat.

However, studies have not supported this ‘trick’ and scientists believe that our brains and bodies are too smart to be tricked by this. What‘s more, we actually get better at correctly estimating portion sizes when we’re hungry.

What's worse about this claim is that it came from a facility that was allegedly engaged in dubious research methods.

So, don’t be fooled by the plate size and be mindful of portions instead!

Your hunger won't be satisfied by downing a glass of water

Another false diet tip is the idea that drinking a glass of water or other non-caloric beverage can help satisfy hunger.

One study found that the opposite is actually true: people become hungrier after drinking a glass of water! So our bodies really can tell the difference between hunger and thirst cues.

Of course, if you feel like having a glass of water, by all means, you should. Just don’t fool yourself into thinking it will satisfy your hunger when what you actually need is to nourish yourself with healthy and nutritious food.

pexels-photo-3830856.jpeg

Drinking water cannot make you feel full when you're hungry. Credit: Pexels/Andrea Piacquadio.

Eating like a bodybuilder won’t guarantee weight loss

You’ve probably heard the stereotype that bodybuilders eat unflavourful, unchanging meals consisting of just chicken breast, brown rice, and broccoli.

While this combination of foods is certainly healthy, it’s not the best approach for your diet if you don’t enjoy eating these foods in the same way over and over. Since chicken breast and rice can both dry out when prepared for meal prepping, why not switch it up a bit?

Choose meals you actually love, or learn to make simple swaps to upgrade your menu - like using alternative parts of the chicken, like chicken thigh, or adding a delicious marinade to rice. Ultimately, it’s okay for food to taste good, and for meals to be both nutritious and enjoyable.

It's also crucial to understand that consuming numerous tiny meals will not 'boost' your metabolism as opposed to the claims made by many celebrity bodybuilders.

A ‘diet’ is not a lifestyle change

This last one isn’t a 'tip' as much as it is a reminder - that it doesn’t have to be a lifelong mission to ‘live healthily’. If you feel like you need to make some changes to help you achieve your weight loss goals, by all means, go for it - just remember that it doesn’t have to be a forever change.

Dieting is the act of deliberately undernourishing yourself, so once the desired results are met, it’s only natural (and healthy!) to move away from those strict regimens.

Remember, healthy eating and undereating are not the same thing. If you feel like your current diet or habits need to change, make sure to separate out what should change in general (e.g. cook at home more often) from what needs to change only temporarily (e.g. portion size).

Key Takeaways

• Smaller plates don’t make us eat less, and drinking a glass of water isn’t going to satisfy your hunger.
  • It’s not necessarily a good idea to eat like a bodybuilder, and the diet should be seen as a temporary lifestyle change.
  • Finally, while it’s important to make healthy eating changes in general, it’s important to distinguish between those changes and changes that should only be made temporarily.

There you have it, folks! Dieting can be a difficult task for most of us but with proper research, we're sure you can find a regimen that you can stick to and make the task of losing weight a breeze!

Have you begun your journey towards improved health this year? We'd love to hear your stories, and any tips you have for sticking with healthy eating goals!

Sponsored
Ah, it’s that time of year when we make our resolutions to get in shape and drop some excess weight. As the new year starts, many of us become more aware of our health, and feel inspired to make lasting lifestyle changes.

We all know that crash diets and extreme measures are likely to have short-term success, and health experts agree that the best approach is to develop healthy eating habits that can be maintained permanently.

Unfortunately, there is a lot of misleading information out there when it comes to diet tips — from sneaky marketing ploys to bogus lifestyle hacks, many people end up wasting their time and resources to try these tips only to no avail.

We here at Seniors Discount Club are here to break down some of the most outrageous diet tips, as well as whether or not they're actually still beneficial - from crazy plate sizes to 'lifestyle swaps'.

So, without further ado, here are some of the worst diet tips that you should avoid:

There are plenty of popular weight loss tips that do not necessarily work. Credit: Pexels/Ketut Subiyanto.

This diet tip encourages you to fill a smaller plate for your meals in the hopes that it will make food look bigger, and so you’ll be less likely to over-eat.

However, studies have not supported this ‘trick’ and scientists believe that our brains and bodies are too smart to be tricked by this. What‘s more, we actually get better at correctly estimating portion sizes when we’re hungry.

What's worse about this claim is that it came from a facility that was allegedly engaged in dubious research methods.

Another false diet tip is the idea that drinking a glass of water or other non-caloric beverage can help satisfy hunger.

One study found that the opposite is actually true: people become hungrier after drinking a glass of water! So our bodies really can tell the difference between hunger and thirst cues.

Of course, if you feel like having a glass of water, by all means, you should. Just don’t fool yourself into thinking it will satisfy your hunger when what you actually need is to nourish yourself with healthy and nutritious food.

Drinking water cannot make you feel full when you're hungry. Credit: Pexels/Andrea Piacquadio.

You’ve probably heard the stereotype that bodybuilders eat unflavourful, unchanging meals consisting of just chicken breast, brown rice, and broccoli.

While this combination of foods is certainly healthy, it’s not the best approach for your diet if you don’t enjoy eating these foods in the same way over and over. Since chicken breast and rice can both dry out when prepared for meal prepping, why not switch it up a bit?

Choose meals you actually love, or learn to make simple swaps to upgrade your menu - like using alternative parts of the chicken, like chicken thigh, or adding a delicious marinade to rice. Ultimately, it’s okay for food to taste good, and for meals to be both nutritious and enjoyable.

It's also crucial to understand that consuming numerous tiny meals will not 'boost' your metabolism as opposed to the claims made by many celebrity bodybuilders.

This last one isn’t a 'tip' as much as it is a reminder - that it doesn’t have to be a lifelong mission to ‘live healthily’. If you feel like you need to make some changes to help you achieve your weight loss goals, by all means, go for it - just remember that it doesn’t have to be a forever change.

Dieting is the act of deliberately undernourishing yourself, so once the desired results are met, it’s only natural (and healthy!) to move away from those strict regimens.

Remember, healthy eating and undereating are not the same thing. If you feel like your current diet or habits need to change, make sure to separate out what should change in general (e.g. cook at home more often) from what needs to change only temporarily (e.g. portion size).

Key Takeaways

• Smaller plates don’t make us eat less, and drinking a glass of water isn’t going to satisfy your hunger.
  • It’s not necessarily a good idea to eat like a bodybuilder, and the diet should be seen as a temporary lifestyle change.
  • Finally, while it’s important to make healthy eating changes in general, it’s important to distinguish between those changes and changes that should only be made temporarily.

There you have it, folks! Dieting can be a difficult task for most of us but with proper research, we're sure you can find a regimen that you can stick to and make the task of losing weight a breeze!

Have you begun your journey towards improved health this year? We'd love to hear your stories, and any tips you have for sticking with healthy eating goals!
Diets DONT WORK.... What you eat and how much you eat is the main way to lose weight. my health does not allow me to do a lot of exercise... For me it is also when I eat... I have said before a few times So last year I lost 22.5 kg and its not coming back and this year I intend to do the same.... By simply eating between the hours of 10am and 2pm, the problem here is how much I end up consuming, that depends on how the black dog (PTSD) is treating me, most days are good.... This has not ever been a new years resolution I dont believe in making them, If people dont believe me its not my problem

I think diets do work but what's important is to take the time to write down a menu on healthy options .

Find out your daily calorie intake and most recipes these days will show the calories per serve.

The important thing is to make meals you like.

Go slow at first if you love piles of butter then decrease . If you have 3 sugars ect in your tea / coffee then cut down to 2 then 1 ect.

I don't believe what is written about water. Water does fill you. I try to drink 8 glasses or more a day

Drink a glass of water before a meal

If you are craving something or hungry try drinking a glass of water.
If you crave junk food train your brain to wait 1 hour and if you still crave it then have a small ammount.

We have to take responsibility for our own health when it comes to what we put into our mouths.

Build willpower.

Try to go for small walks this also kerbs the cravings

Key Takeaways

Cut your sugar to the lowest possible is one thing you can do

I think diets do work but what's important is to take the time to write down a menu on healthy options .

Find out your daily calorie intake and most recipes these days will show the calories per serve.

The important thing is to make meals you like.

Go slow at first if you love piles of butter then decrease . If you have 3 sugars ect in your tea / coffee then cut down to 2 then 1 ect.

I don't believe what is written about water. Water does fill you. I try to drink 8 glasses or more a day

Drink a glass of water before a meal

If you are craving something or hungry try drinking a glass of water.
If you crave junk food train your brain to wait 1 hour and if you still crave it then have a small ammount.

We have to take responsibility for our own health when it comes to what we put into our mouths.

Build willpower.

Try to go for small walks this also kerbs the cravings
I have battled with my weight for my entire adult life, at times I have been successful in losing the excess pounds/kilos but the weiight always crept back on or in some cases galloped back depending on which "Foolproof " method I was using that time. After all of the trial and error I have learnt a couple of things, Excercise is still the best way to control your weight, no need to buy expensive Gym memberships just go for a walk, increase the distance as you are able and try to walk for at least 30mins per day. I used to just amble along at my own pace and at one stage that amble turned into a 7k hike every day split between morning and evening walks. No matter what is said to the contary I found that counting calories or at least becoming more aware of the calorie value of the foods that you eat was also a help although I never became obsessed with it. Water should become your friend, drink as much as possible through out the day, great for your skin as well. I will admit that losing over 40kilos just by following this method for just over a year made me very happy but by deleting all dairy food to increase the weight loss faster was probably not the best way to go. Learnt that lesson, will not do that again. Sadly after all the weight loss severe ill health made it very difficult to keep up the walks but I am looking at investing in a couple of home excercise machines that I can use to bring my weight under control again and of course trying to control my addiction to may favourite food group; Chocolate.

Reactions: Annette V
Diets DONT WORK.... What you eat and how much you eat is the main way to lose weight. my health does not allow me to do a lot of exercise... For me it is also when I eat... I have said before a few times So last year I lost 22.5 kg and its not coming back and this year I intend to do the same.... By simply eating between the hours of 10am and 2pm, the problem here is how much I end up consuming, that depends on how the black dog (PTSD) is treating me, most days are good.... This has not ever been a new years resolution I dont believe in making them, If people dont believe me its not my problem
Bless you. Keep going. Keep strong.

Reactions: Tipsy