The world's oldest person, Maria Branyas Morera, passes away at 117

The remarkable journey of the world's oldest person, Maria Branyas Morera, has come to a peaceful end.

The 117-year-old Spanish pensioner lived through a series of historical events—a testament to the resilience and the human spirit's capacity to endure.

Maria Branyas Morera was born in San Francisco in 1907 and lived in the Santa Maria del Tura nursing home for the last two decades.

Guinness World Records recognised her status as the world's oldest person after the death of French nun Lucile Randon (118).

Her life has been compared to a history book, as she survived both World Wars One and Two, the Spanish flu, the Spanish Civil War, and the recent COVID-19 pandemic.

compressed-maria branyas.jpeg
Maria Branyas in 1925 (left) and in 2021 (right). Image Credits: X/Super Catalan Grandma, Facebook/Maria Branyas Morera

Prior to her passing, she celebrated her 117th birthday in the said nursing home, surrounded by her family and loved ones.

Her social media presence as the 'Super Catalan Grandma' also provided a peek into the life of someone who had witnessed the world change in unimaginable ways.

Her family announced her passing through her social media accounts with a touching message for her supporters.

The announcement read, 'Maria Branyas has left us. She died as she wished: in her sleep, peacefully and without pain. We will always remember her for her advice and her kindness.'

Maria's life had a sense of order and tranquillity, which she often cited as the key to her old age.

Her lifestyle choices—including playing the piano, reading newspapers, and exercising every morning until she was 105—showcased her commitment to maintaining both mental and physical health.

Her social media accounts, co-managed by her family members, became a platform for sharing updates on her health and well-being.

Maria also shared her sage wisdom on these platforms.

'A piece of advice, if you'll allow me. In an age when diets and miracle foods for well-being and health are constantly emerging, it is necessary to rescue yoghurt, a lifelong food with an infinite number of positive properties for the body,' Maria once wrote.

At 113 years old, Maria became the oldest person to recover from COVID-19—a record that Sister André later on surpassed.

The nursing home celebrated the feat with a small, private celebration.

With this, scientists took an interest in Maria's life, hoping to unlock several secrets by studying her genetics.

Her lucid memory and lack of common age-related diseases suggested a genetic component to her longevity, with several family members also living past 90.

'She remembers with impressive clarity events from when she was only four years old, and she does not present any cardiovascular disease, common in elderly people,' scientist Manel Esteller stated.

'It is clear that there is a genetic component because there are several members of her family who are over 90 years old.'

In her final days, Maria shared a poignant message to her supporters.

'The time is near. Don't cry. I don't like tears. And above all, don't suffer for me. Wherever I go, I will be happy,' she wrote.

'I don't know when, but very soon, this long journey will come to an end.'

'Death will find me worn down from having lived so much, but I want to meet it with a smile, feeling free and satisfied,' she concluded.

Watch her story here:

Source: Breaking Through News/YouTube

Maria's passing marked the end of an era, but her life continues to inspire people worldwide.

The regional government of Catalonia, where she spent her final years, mourned her loss, with the head of their government expressing heartfelt condolences and recognising her as 'Catalonia's grandmother'.
Key Takeaways

• Maria Branyas Morera, the world's oldest living person, passed away at 117 after surviving two world wars, the Spanish flu, the Spanish Civil War, and COVID-19.
  • She was born in San Francisco in 1907 and spent her last two decades in a nursing home in Spain, maintaining good mental and physical health until giving a final message of feeling 'weak'.
  • Guinness World Records recognised Branyas as the world's oldest person following the death of French nun Lucile Randon in 2023.
  • Maria became the subject of several studies to unlock the secrets of her long life—which has been heavily attributed to her genetics.
As we reflect on Maria Branyas Morera's incredible life, we are reminded of the importance of living a life filled with purpose, health, and happiness.

Her story encourages us to embrace life's journey with grace and to find joy in every moment.

May she rest in peace.

Sponsored