The unlikely pantry staple this Aussie mum uses to heal her mouth ulcers in one day: "Surely you guys did this too?"

Mouth ulcers are fairly common and generally harmless. They can, however, make eating, drinking, and even talking difficult and painful.

That is why whenever we get the feeling that an ulcer is starting to form in our mouth, the very first thing that we do is reach for the salt bottle.

Because sodium chloride works to direct water away from the surrounding healthy tissue and towards the sore, it is common knowledge (to some) that applying salt to the wound or gargling with salt prevents an ulcer from forming.

But did you know that there is another common pantry item (at least, here in Australia) that we can use to prevent and effectively treat mouth ulcers?

An Aussie mum-of-four claims that she has a "foolproof" trick for healing her mouth ulcers, and that is using Vegemite!

AWqgLAlZrSUy4poUAZfYGDKTiho4y70ZhK6wMgwU3w_Y06up87ueHnSyYHqBoxZXmJqRn2XASh-gxwld9zTZaFbrDcwsm2Jj7JKT-TrmgKi3voPQDn9tmp93lfSKZwAyC1UcMbYsL1o1Gi5j2QY

She puts the salty spread on her sore mouth so they don't get worse. Credit: Instagram/Amodrn.

Mel Watts is a local resident of the Central Coast of New South Wales, where she currently resides with her family of four children.

In a recent Instagram post, she explained how she uses Vegemite to numb the pain from mouth ulcers and recommended that "everyone should use" this trick if they want their wounds to heal quickly.

"Got an ulcer? No problem mate, get some Vegemite on it and she'll be right," she wrote in the caption of the video.

"This one was done to me as a kid to help with my mouth ulcers. I'm not sure how, but it always helped with the ulcer pain. It stings like a MOFO, but you also get a spoonful of Vegemite, so it's a win-win situation," she added.

In the video, she places a tablespoon of Vegemite where the ulcer has developed on the inside of her lip and holds it there for a few seconds.

After experiencing an intense stinging sensation, she eventually licks the spread off and claims that her mouth ulcer ought to be gone by tomorrow.

On Instagram, Mel has over 254,000 followers, and many of them left comments expressing their amazement at how the "hack" significantly reduced the size of their ulcer after trying it out for themselves.

"I did this too and DAMN, it hurts!" one woman wrote in the comments.

A second one chimed in and added that her family has been doing this trick to treat mouth ulcers as well. "God, it stings but the melting Vegemite was always a win! My daughter said it to our GP one day and he thought it was weird," she said.

It turns out that Vegemite isn't just good for putting a rose on every cheek – it can also help treat mouth ulcers that are particularly nasty!

The breakfast staple has a high salt content, which is thought to be the reason mouth ulcers can be prevented and treated by spreading it on our mouths.

Just keep in mind that, despite the many testimonies from people who say Vegemite is the solution to nasty mouth ulcers, there is no scientific or medical evidence to back up this claim.

Don't say we didn't warn you, folks!

Watch the video below for more details on the causes, symptoms, treatments, and prevention of mouth ulcers (also known as canker sores).

Credit: Teeth Talk Girl.

Sponsored
Thank you for reminding me about mouth ulcers and the other day cold sores. Luckily I suffer from neither of these afflictions but it's handy to have solutions just in case.:)

Reactions: Jillian
My daughter used to suffer from mouth ulcers.
I taught her to help herself to the Vegemite, using a spoon handle to apply a small amount on the tip of the handle.
After the initial scream-worthy sting, numbness would follow.
When the pain returned, she would apply another "dose"......all that first day.
Vegemite contains therapeutic salt and healthy Vitamin B....

Last edited:
Definitely Vegemite. My poor mum hated the stuff, but was also prone to mouth ulcers (apparently even worse painwise if you have dentures), and swore by it.

I had lots as a kid. Surprise???? Mum always told me to use "Carb Soda." Sure worked on me & then my children & grands. Just dab it on with a finger, the alternative to vegemite if you cannot put up with the stronger stinging. ANDAND, catch a leg ulcer IN TIME to treat it yourself??? Three times a day rub on the good old Aloe Vera plant (the juice) & never be without one in your garden. What a gem for all sorts of cuts.

Reactions: Rochelle and Ricci
I am a Vegemite lover & a great believer in it's powers, not only for ulcers, but mosquitoes do not bother me when other people get attacked by them as did people with sand-flies which did not bother me when I lived in Queensland . Go vegemite,

Reactions: TheBear and Ricci