The ultimate guide to buying an air fryer - which ones come out on top?

There's no denying that air fryers are taking home cooks by storm!

These little devices can do everything from frying up chicken to baking a cake, with multi-purpose settings and features that make them incredibly versatile.

What’s more, they use very little oil and electricity, so they’re healthier than traditional fryers, and more cost-effective than traditional ovens.

The video below explains why you should invest in an air fryer:

Credit: YouTube/How To Cook That

If this information entices you into purchasing an air fryer, then we are happy to share some advice on how to pick the perfect air fryer for you.

1. Portability and space requirements

jaGMT-EMz4qP7pDKYATddy8tIm6f9BvikVxgtU-DPlWlfkH4eiOkzu8_Nq_0FiaYu-LFI4EpYjW7_Zwu_MgsozLTeHoMYBk2wk-BB04--Tve2_NNzpF4_eETYHz7hvBBIMSzPCw

When purchasing an air fryer, you need to consider the space it will take up in your kitchen before selecting a model. Credit: Getty Images.

We need to take into account the amount of space we have in our kitchen when choosing any kitchen appliance.

While some air fryers are portable and can easily be placed just about anywhere in your kitchen, you have to consider whether you will be permanently displaying your new air fryer on your kitchen benchtop or you will be storing it away after every use.

The Good Guys category expert Tania Grillinzoni explained: “Air fryers are convenient because they work as a benchtop appliance, so when you are finished with them, they can be easily stored away in the cupboard for next time. There is no need to have special cabinetry made to incorporate your air fryer into the kitchen.”

Some heavy-duty air fryers are not easy to store, however, so you need to take note of how much kitchen or storage space you have for this appliance.

2. Size and capacity

Speaking of portability (or the lack thereof), another factor to consider when choosing an air fryer is its size.

Air fryers come in a range of sizes, from small personal-sized air fryers to large ones that can cook enough food for a family.

Ms Grillinzoni said: “Air fryers consist of a basket to place the food in. The bigger the basket, the more you can cook at once. With smaller air fryers, you would easily be able to roast a cut of meat. Whereas a larger air fryer allows for more space to add vegetables into the basket to cook at the same time.”

Below is a list of sizes that cater to different household needs:

• 0.5L - 2L: can prepare meals that are good for a single person household
  • 2L - 4L: can prepare meals that are good for couples or small families
  • 4L - 6L: can prepare meals that are good for three to five persons.

3. Features

ivu9cmsxCuHnQPzIxz-uvKaJpJogeMNXIH25DKFCPDztQmoLsks-8s_BcTfsKTTClPE8VR66ZarLGcwZltQJAGrkPbNAFI6pwzQ0kHlzk2lCin4E_H42sG6tj-kQFX_I6MYPCZE

Air fryers have different features and settings that cater to your needs. Credit: Getty Images.

When you’re trying to decide which air fryer you should buy, you’ll obviously want to choose one that has features that are important to you. Here are some of the features you should consider when shopping for an air fryer:

• Adjustable temperature: Some air fryers let you adjust the temperature so that you can cook your food the way you want.
  • Automatic shut-off: This feature turns the air fryer off when the food is done, so you don’t have to worry about it.
  • Timer: A timer lets you set how long you want the air fryer to cook your food.
  • Display: A display shows you the temperature and timer so you can keep track of your food.
  • Remote control: Some air fryers come with a remote control so you can turn them on and off from a distance.
  • Pre-set cooking functions: Some air fryers have pre-set cooking functions for popular foods like chicken, fish, and french fries.
  • Air circulation system: An air circulation system circulates hot air around the food so it cooks evenly.
  • Non-stick coating: A non-stick coating helps to prevent food from sticking to the air fryer and makes it easier to clean.
  • Dishwasher-safe parts: Some air fryers have parts that are dishwasher-safe, so you can put them in the dishwasher for easy cleaning.
  • Storage: Some air fryers come with storage for the cord or other accessories.
  • Warranty: A warranty gives you peace of mind in case something goes wrong with your air fryer.

4. Maintenance and cleaning

The good news is that air fryers are relatively easy to clean compared to other kitchen appliances.

“Unlike deep fryers or convectional ovens, after use, you can simply allow to cool, remove the basket and wipe down with a sponge, or hand wash if you choose to, and you’re ready to start cooking again,” Ms Grillinzoni explained.

5. Budget

Finally, consider your budget. The average cost of an air fryer is about $100. However, there are some air fryers that cost less than $50 and some that cost more than $200.

Below are some air fryer models that you might want to check out:

a. Instant Pot Vortex mini air fryer, $79, Amazon

C71N5dhGZaVhlMehx1bvvsuZoeFxAs6UFQwKumZyooash_ZGgjSmJ69cCrBnatHODNPHse9of8ea5OGjua3H5DU1TowczZ0HSIy1Xng0eTCs6hKm6BE3_mxDsOH_Z7AGcoesrvQ

Credit: Amazon

Key features
  • Compact design – perfect for small spaces
  • Four preset smart cooking programs to choose from
  • Bright touchscreen display

b. 8.2L Digital low-fat air fryer, $109, Kogan

EizDTxUNUYrZIP11MW8tABgCyTy_3wKq4pjFZNZJs7PZpmVFrY2OjEWMUz1mhWRUTQ-CCUK0t0OOqwKQX8xMgoBcES7slGyiP0YyKi-iGAVH7vd4y6oFvcxIFrgJWtYSzUvnrBg

Credit: Kogan

Key features
  • Eight preset modes to choose from
  • 1800W power for serious air frying
  • Overheat safety protection

c. 9L Twin air fryer, $129, Kmart

OpWZabXrVrWNZDKGb513MgvgKqosZb7UOdXUCHNAMkeS48cnR4q0HCnNsdt_r0jrhRHwgzutb9q1MzRRytZgN-Nij2X6WVWfCU9pN7RS2PClgIYs4sNKEhm2XVXVavrMi5PyMag

Credit: Kmart

Key features
  • 11 pre-set functions
  • Two removable frying pans
  • Includes an oil drip tray

d. Tefal easy fry and grill deluxe, $229, The Good Guys

wEnjQCMsGALO2_Gapsas39HqaeougkOwOlynzdMoB-IPs9thjmckzqv85Of2iWcxq5p0wquDmOPX0sJWU8l4f62Xe5tSNNtOPSEjnRruS4_GMILlCc8OKa1Cic4RJUxqH8ROL_k

Credit: The Good Guys

Key features
  • 2L capacity
  • Eight pre-set automatic cooking programs
  • LED touchscreen display

e. Philips Essential Compact air fryer, $199, Myer

8svHnx1AjJPdyRlloUGN4xzedqP6IPAs3suTtO_am1zbaowZHWmVxuWVi91dSv7B7TmI2XjAeKIQ3GdMK7Pa6WQhfSAIc2lUkw5_w5TlwnOrWtEh5cX04-L36uMtfd4SEpqGz_M

Credit: Myer

Key features:
  • Compact design – perfect for smaller spaces
  • RapidAir technology so food cooks faster than older models
  • Compatible with the NutriU app for personalised recipe recommendations

f. 3.2 L Air Fryer, $59, Kmart

98TU4R9SdHFc9mi4LTbZrTdXpfZ9od0eNnkldRHMIwfPxL6cYvIQyvFDE9Cwn1tuhsCTLIwrHpP6IQjUMIGgxOtWEFlZjf5S1mE1RdNslHNFgUZUwJRKy2SOZpk8PDPhz44Ld2A

Key features:
  • LED control panel with 7 pre-set functions
  • Removable frying basket
  • Overheat protection
  • 30-minutes automatic shut-off
  • Adjustable temperature up to 200 deg. C
  • Operation light indicator
  • 1300 watts

We hope this guide could help you choose the best air fryer model for your needs!

Do you know any other tips for choosing an air fryer? Share them with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
I bought a cheapie, $39 from Aldi, just to see what all the hype was. I've only had it just over a week and so far I'm sold. The first thing I cooked was fish and chips and they were so yummy, better cooked than doing it in the conventional oven. Cleaning up after was a breeze. I realise that there is a learning curve with how to get the best out of it but if everything turns out as well as the things I've cooked so far then it will be money well spent.:)

Has anyone tried out Kmart's twin air fryer yet?

There are a few one-liner reviews about it, but prefer the judgement of my fellow club members!

Reactions: Ricci
Has anyone tried out Kmart's twin air fryer yet?

There are a few one-liner reviews about it, but prefer the judgement of my fellow club members!
I bought one online but when it was delivered I immediately gave it to my son. It was huge, I hadn't seen it in the flesh so to speak and realised that its sheer size was too much. I couldn't think of where to store it and it takes up far too much bench space to be left out all the time. I have found that the smaller size (3lt) is plenty big enough for one or two people.;)

Reactions: KatKop
We have a Smith and Noble 6-5 ltr air fryer , bought on special from Harris Scarf. It has 8 preset functions as well as temperature and time control. Also came with a cake pan. It can halve some cooking times. It's used quite often.

Reactions: KatKop and Ricci
I have an air fryer oven, I love it. I live alone but it is a nice size for me. I cooked a small piece of por belly and the crackling was absolutely delicious, it did a fantastic job. Better than using the big oven as well.

The ultimate guide to buying an air fryer - which ones come out on top?

There's no denying that air fryers are taking home cooks by storm!

These little devices can do everything from frying up chicken to baking a cake, with multi-purpose settings and features that make them incredibly versatile.

What’s more, they use very little oil and electricity, so they’re healthier than traditional fryers, and more cost-effective than traditional ovens.

The video below explains why you should invest in an air fryer:

Credit: YouTube/How To Cook That

If this information entices you into purchasing an air fryer, then we are happy to share some advice on how to pick the perfect air fryer for you.

1. Portability and space requirements

jaGMT-EMz4qP7pDKYATddy8tIm6f9BvikVxgtU-DPlWlfkH4eiOkzu8_Nq_0FiaYu-LFI4EpYjW7_Zwu_MgsozLTeHoMYBk2wk-BB04--Tve2_NNzpF4_eETYHz7hvBBIMSzPCw

When purchasing an air fryer, you need to consider the space it will take up in your kitchen before selecting a model. Credit: Getty Images.

We need to take into account the amount of space we have in our kitchen when choosing any kitchen appliance.

While some air fryers are portable and can easily be placed just about anywhere in your kitchen, you have to consider whether you will be permanently displaying your new air fryer on your kitchen benchtop or you will be storing it away after every use.

The Good Guys category expert Tania Grillinzoni explained: “Air fryers are convenient because they work as a benchtop appliance, so when you are finished with them, they can be easily stored away in the cupboard for next time. There is no need to have special cabinetry made to incorporate your air fryer into the kitchen.”

Some heavy-duty air fryers are not easy to store, however, so you need to take note of how much kitchen or storage space you have for this appliance.

2. Size and capacity

Speaking of portability (or the lack thereof), another factor to consider when choosing an air fryer is its size.

Air fryers come in a range of sizes, from small personal-sized air fryers to large ones that can cook enough food for a family.

Ms Grillinzoni said: “Air fryers consist of a basket to place the food in. The bigger the basket, the more you can cook at once. With smaller air fryers, you would easily be able to roast a cut of meat. Whereas a larger air fryer allows for more space to add vegetables into the basket to cook at the same time.”

Below is a list of sizes that cater to different household needs:

• 0.5L - 2L: can prepare meals that are good for a single person household
  • 2L - 4L: can prepare meals that are good for couples or small families
  • 4L - 6L: can prepare meals that are good for three to five persons.

3. Features

ivu9cmsxCuHnQPzIxz-uvKaJpJogeMNXIH25DKFCPDztQmoLsks-8s_BcTfsKTTClPE8VR66ZarLGcwZltQJAGrkPbNAFI6pwzQ0kHlzk2lCin4E_H42sG6tj-kQFX_I6MYPCZE

Air fryers have different features and settings that cater to your needs. Credit: Getty Images.

When you’re trying to decide which air fryer you should buy, you’ll obviously want to choose one that has features that are important to you. Here are some of the features you should consider when shopping for an air fryer:

• Adjustable temperature: Some air fryers let you adjust the temperature so that you can cook your food the way you want.
  • Automatic shut-off: This feature turns the air fryer off when the food is done, so you don’t have to worry about it.
  • Timer: A timer lets you set how long you want the air fryer to cook your food.
  • Display: A display shows you the temperature and timer so you can keep track of your food.
  • Remote control: Some air fryers come with a remote control so you can turn them on and off from a distance.
  • Pre-set cooking functions: Some air fryers have pre-set cooking functions for popular foods like chicken, fish, and french fries.
  • Air circulation system: An air circulation system circulates hot air around the food so it cooks evenly.
  • Non-stick coating: A non-stick coating helps to prevent food from sticking to the air fryer and makes it easier to clean.
  • Dishwasher-safe parts: Some air fryers have parts that are dishwasher-safe, so you can put them in the dishwasher for easy cleaning.
  • Storage: Some air fryers come with storage for the cord or other accessories.
  • Warranty: A warranty gives you peace of mind in case something goes wrong with your air fryer.

4. Maintenance and cleaning

The good news is that air fryers are relatively easy to clean compared to other kitchen appliances.

“Unlike deep fryers or convectional ovens, after use, you can simply allow to cool, remove the basket and wipe down with a sponge, or hand wash if you choose to, and you’re ready to start cooking again,” Ms Grillinzoni explained.

5. Budget

Finally, consider your budget. The average cost of an air fryer is about $100. However, there are some air fryers that cost less than $50 and some that cost more than $200.

Below are some air fryer models that you might want to check out:

a. Instant Pot Vortex mini air fryer, $79, Amazon

C71N5dhGZaVhlMehx1bvvsuZoeFxAs6UFQwKumZyooash_ZGgjSmJ69cCrBnatHODNPHse9of8ea5OGjua3H5DU1TowczZ0HSIy1Xng0eTCs6hKm6BE3_mxDsOH_Z7AGcoesrvQ

Credit: Amazon

Key features
  • Compact design – perfect for small spaces
  • Four preset smart cooking programs to choose from
  • Bright touchscreen display

b. 8.2L Digital low-fat air fryer, $109, Kogan

EizDTxUNUYrZIP11MW8tABgCyTy_3wKq4pjFZNZJs7PZpmVFrY2OjEWMUz1mhWRUTQ-CCUK0t0OOqwKQX8xMgoBcES7slGyiP0YyKi-iGAVH7vd4y6oFvcxIFrgJWtYSzUvnrBg

Credit: Kogan

Key features
  • Eight preset modes to choose from
  • 1800W power for serious air frying
  • Overheat safety protection

c. 9L Twin air fryer, $129, Kmart

OpWZabXrVrWNZDKGb513MgvgKqosZb7UOdXUCHNAMkeS48cnR4q0HCnNsdt_r0jrhRHwgzutb9q1MzRRytZgN-Nij2X6WVWfCU9pN7RS2PClgIYs4sNKEhm2XVXVavrMi5PyMag

Key features
  • 11 pre-set functions
  • Two removable frying pans
  • Includes an oil drip tray

d. Tefal easy fry and grill deluxe, $229, The Good Guys

wEnjQCMsGALO2_Gapsas39HqaeougkOwOlynzdMoB-IPs9thjmckzqv85Of2iWcxq5p0wquDmOPX0sJWU8l4f62Xe5tSNNtOPSEjnRruS4_GMILlCc8OKa1Cic4RJUxqH8ROL_k

Credit: The Good Guys

Key features
  • 2L capacity
  • Eight pre-set automatic cooking programs
  • LED touchscreen display

e. Philips Essential Compact air fryer, $199, Myer

8svHnx1AjJPdyRlloUGN4xzedqP6IPAs3suTtO_am1zbaowZHWmVxuWVi91dSv7B7TmI2XjAeKIQ3GdMK7Pa6WQhfSAIc2lUkw5_w5TlwnOrWtEh5cX04-L36uMtfd4SEpqGz_M

Credit: Myer

Key features:
  • Compact design – perfect for smaller spaces
  • RapidAir technology so food cooks faster than older models
  • Compatible with the NutriU app for personalised recipe recommendations

f. 3.2 L Air Fryer, $59, Kmart

98TU4R9SdHFc9mi4LTbZrTdXpfZ9od0eNnkldRHMIwfPxL6cYvIQyvFDE9Cwn1tuhsCTLIwrHpP6IQjUMIGgxOtWEFlZjf5S1mE1RdNslHNFgUZUwJRKy2SOZpk8PDPhz44Ld2A

Key features:
  • LED control panel with 7 pre-set functions
  • Removable frying basket
  • Overheat protection
  • 30-minutes automatic shut-off
  • Adjustable temperature up to 200 deg. C
  • Operation light indicator
  • 1300 watts

We hope this guide could help you choose the best air fryer model for your needs!
This video should be required watching. They are not a fryer. They are a very intensive fan forced oven which are excellent to use if managed correctly. They tend to dry food out, so a little oil is required ( I use spray on Canola) and cook at lower temperatures for shorter times. Very much a trial and error/ learning curve. Very good at rejuvenating limp takeaway chips. Also good for meatballs but don't make them too small. We have a 7.5 l Soho which is superb for cooking roast pork with crackling. I only use the Weber kettle/Q for larger roasts now. Pretty much, if you can fit the roast in with a reasonable air space then that is the way to go.
Do you know any other tips for choosing an air fryer? Share them with us in the comments below!

Yeah @zevon1956, good point. The name air 'fryer' is actually a bit of a misnomer / marketing gimmick - they're really just mini fan-forced ovens.

Having said that, I'm a big fan... It's one of our only appliances that gets used on a weekly basis. Plus, great for saving on electricity compared to an oven.

Yeah @zevon1956, good point. The name air 'fryer' is actually a bit of a misnomer / marketing gimmick - they're really just mini fan-forced ovens.

Having said that, I'm a big fan... It's one of our only appliances that gets used on a weekly basis. Plus, great for saving on electricity compared to an oven.
We too are big "fans" Jonathon, and use ours constantly. Does a great job reheating/rejuvinating pizza, limp takeaway chips, not mention excellent roast pork with crackling. zevon1956.