The Ultimate $50 Grocery Challenge: Coles vs. Woolies vs. ALDI

Let's face it, life is getting more expensive by the minute. From rent to the cost of utilities, everything from buying groceries to paying the bills is becoming increasingly costly. It's enough to make you want to cling to your hard-earned cash for dear life!

But don't worry, you're not alone. We all want to save as much money as possible, and that includes when we're buying groceries. So, where can you get the best deal? Which supermarket offers the most bang for your buck?

Luckily, Mary Madigan from news.com.au has done the hard work for customers. With $50 worth of budget in hand, she put Australia's top three supermarkets to the test to find out which one would give her the most value for money.

So, are you ready to find out which supermarket came out on top? Grab a cuppa, sit back, and let's see who wins - ALDI, Coles, or Woolworths?

Screen Shot 2023-03-06 at 10.08.26 AM.png
With prices shooting up everywhere it's hard to know where to shop - is ALDI, Coles or Woolies the best value for money? Credit: Pexels/Anna Shvets.

In order to make the test more straightforward, Madigan made a list of basic food items she wanted to get, as well as groceries and other items she would need to make a simple pasta recipe.

These food items included milk, butter, bread, eggs, Weetbix, pasta, pasta sauce, mince, cheese, strawberries, tomatoes, coffee and dishwasher tablets. 'I had $50 and a dream to make it stretch as far as possible,' she wrote in her post.

To make sure there was no favouritism, she chose the least expensive option at each of the supermarkets, only buying the basics and nothing too fancy.

'I was going budget, not boujee,' she added. 'Sadly, food isn't typically sold in round numbers, but I kept as close to my $50 limit as possible, and the goal was to get as much on my list without blowing out my budget.'

Screen Shot 2023-03-06 at 10.08.21 AM.png
A simple test at the local supermarket reveals what $50 worth of groceries can get the average Aussie. Credit: Mary Madigan/news.com.au.

So, which supermarket won out?

Time to reveal the results of Madigan's epic supermarket showdown! Drumroll, please...

After hitting up ALDI, Coles, and Woolworths, it turns out that ALDI was the winner - by half a dollar! Yes, you heard that right. All the items on her list cost her only $50.50, breaking the budget slightly but still coming out on top.

Coles put up a good fight but came in second with a bill of $52.85. Sure, Madigan had to sacrifice a few items on her list (goodbye dishwasher tablets and mince!), but she still managed to whip up a tasty pasta dish (she made it vegan instead).

Unfortunately for Woolworths, they came in last place with a total cost of $50.90. And that's not all - Madigan had to cross off eggs, dishwasher tablets, and mince from her list. Tough luck, Woolies!
Key Takeaways

• Mary Madigan of news.com.au designed a list of basics and a simple pasta recipe and tested out Australia's biggest supermarkets - ALDI, Coles, and Woolworths - to see which one would give the most bang for your buck.
  • ALDI came out on top, with Madigan getting everything on her list for $50.50.
  • Coles came in second at $52.85, with Woolworths coming in last at $50.90, however, both required items to be left out of her trolley.
Madigan's shopping results come after we recently reported on a shopping haul that went viral on social media, showing just how expensive groceries have become.

A simple purchase of cheese, mince, cordial, eggs, and wraps ended up costing a whopping $78! No wonder many Aussies are feeling the squeeze.

Screen Shot 2023-03-06 at 10.08.37 AM.png
The grocery haul made the rounds on social media after it was revealed that it cost the shopper $78. Credit: Reddit.

But it's not all doom and gloom. There are still ways to make your dollar go further at the grocery store, as proven by a Centrelink recipient who recently shared her fortnightly haul.

She managed to score 39 items on a tight budget, mostly store-brand items like milk, veggies, bread, and canned goods. And of course, she didn't forget the all-important toiletries and cleaning products (nobody wants a dirty house, right?).

All in all, her haul cost $94.62. Sure, it's not the cheapest grocery run out there, but it goes to show that with some careful planning and budgeting, you can still feed yourself and your family without breaking the bank.

As the costs of living continue to rise and so it's more important than ever to look for the best value for money. So next time you're doing your grocery run, keep these results in mind and see how much you can stretch your budget. Who knows - you may just be surprised!

-qousOjKSIAp4MeE-Mzjg7P3xkf-AALdQn3gLtJG4-B2R7etRM1iSSRWP1BOsc7aWX_skECyb5aWLlo3fUFhQ6LBtMgCZKMnzjtTNTTPzi9YOrX19QEg7eTDAD86qKHr1tQXYhHxxYxV1kCLjHieGyI

Here at the SDC, we understand that it's not all about the competition. At the end of the day, we all want to save a few bucks and make our money go further.

Have you done any grocery shopping comparison tests? What were your results? Share your tips and experiences in the comments below!

Sponsored
Meal plan my friends, shop with a list and have a sandwich at home before you venture to the shops. I usually have an apple on my way to the shops and a small bottle of water for that dry mouth feeling then off I go. Be practical and exercise your common sense. My time is my own so I casually wonder around and if I see something I've been thinking about I use my phone to price check Coles & Woolworths, pity Aldi doesn't have the same function .... yet. Just do the best 👌 👍🏻 you can 😉🙃😉

Let's face it, life is getting more expensive by the minute. From rent to the cost of utilities, everything from buying groceries to paying the bills is becoming increasingly costly. It's enough to make you want to cling to your hard-earned cash for dear life!

But don't worry, you're not alone. We all want to save as much money as possible, and that includes when we're buying groceries. So, where can you get the best deal? Which supermarket offers the most bang for your buck?

Luckily, Mary Madigan from news.com.au has done the hard work for customers. With $50 worth of budget in hand, she put Australia's top three supermarkets to the test to find out which one would give her the most value for money.

So, are you ready to find out which supermarket came out on top? Grab a cuppa, sit back, and let's see who wins - ALDI, Coles, or Woolworths?

View attachment 15009
With prices shooting up everywhere it's hard to know where to shop - is ALDI, Coles or Woolies the best value for money? Credit: Pexels/Anna Shvets.

In order to make the test more straightforward, Madigan made a list of basic food items she wanted to get, as well as groceries and other items she would need to make a simple pasta recipe.

These food items included milk, butter, bread, eggs, Weetbix, pasta, pasta sauce, mince, cheese, strawberries, tomatoes, coffee and dishwasher tablets. 'I had $50 and a dream to make it stretch as far as possible,' she wrote in her post.

To make sure there was no favouritism, she chose the least expensive option at each of the supermarkets, only buying the basics and nothing too fancy.

'I was going budget, not boujee,' she added. 'Sadly, food isn't typically sold in round numbers, but I kept as close to my $50 limit as possible, and the goal was to get as much on my list without blowing out my budget.'

View attachment 15008
A simple test at the local supermarket reveals what $50 worth of groceries can get the average Aussie. Credit: Mary Madigan/news.com.au.

Time to reveal the results of Madigan's epic supermarket showdown! Drumroll, please...

After hitting up ALDI, Coles, and Woolworths, it turns out that ALDI was the winner - by half a dollar! Yes, you heard that right. All the items on her list cost her only $50.50, breaking the budget slightly but still coming out on top.

Coles put up a good fight but came in second with a bill of $52.85. Sure, Madigan had to sacrifice a few items on her list (goodbye dishwasher tablets and mince!), but she still managed to whip up a tasty pasta dish (she made it vegan instead).

Unfortunately for Woolworths, they came in last place with a total cost of $50.90. And that's not all - Madigan had to cross off eggs, dishwasher tablets, and mince from her list. Tough luck, Woolies!
Key Takeaways

• Mary Madigan of news.com.au designed a list of basics and a simple pasta recipe and tested out Australia's biggest supermarkets - ALDI, Coles, and Woolworths - to see which one would give the most bang for your buck.
  • Coles came in second at $52.85, with Woolworths coming in last at $50.90, however, both required items to be left out of her trolley.
Madigan's shopping results come after we recently reported on a shopping haul that went viral on social media, showing just how expensive groceries have become.

A simple purchase of cheese, mince, cordial, eggs, and wraps ended up costing a whopping $78! No wonder many Aussies are feeling the squeeze.

View attachment 15010
The grocery haul made the rounds on social media after it was revealed that it cost the shopper $78. Credit: Reddit.

But it's not all doom and gloom. There are still ways to make your dollar go further at the grocery store, as proven by a Centrelink recipient who recently shared her fortnightly haul.

She managed to score 39 items on a tight budget, mostly store-brand items like milk, veggies, bread, and canned goods. And of course, she didn't forget the all-important toiletries and cleaning products (nobody wants a dirty house, right?).

All in all, her haul cost $94.62. Sure, it's not the cheapest grocery run out there, but it goes to show that with some careful planning and budgeting, you can still feed yourself and your family without breaking the bank.

As the costs of living continue to rise and so it's more important than ever to look for the best value for money. So next time you're doing your grocery run, keep these results in mind and see how much you can stretch your budget. Who knows - you may just be surprised!

-qousOjKSIAp4MeE-Mzjg7P3xkf-AALdQn3gLtJG4-B2R7etRM1iSSRWP1BOsc7aWX_skECyb5aWLlo3fUFhQ6LBtMgCZKMnzjtTNTTPzi9YOrX19QEg7eTDAD86qKHr1tQXYhHxxYxV1kCLjHieGyI

Here at the SDC, we understand that it's not all about the competition. At the end of the day, we all want to save a few bucks and make our money go further.

Have you done any grocery shopping comparison tests? What were your results? Share your tips and experiences in the comments below!
I have done my shopping just about at every supermarket in my town (country town) ... I always ! buy most of my groceries at ALDI, I get a lot more than at Coles & Woollies. A 500 gram tub of BUTTER at Aldi is under $5 ... while at the other 2 they are over $7 close to $8 a tub. And ALDI has my most favourite yoghurt ... omg, so yum ..... 6 tubs in the package for under $3 !!!!! IGA is a rip off, very very expensive. I went to them once, looked at the prices of ordinary things like bread, oil and toiletpaper ...... omgosh ! I walked out and never went back. ALDI is for me, The Reject Shop for batteries, Laundry powder, dog food which my dog loves and only eats from them ... Shampoo's & Conditioners, and some cleaning products AND for my reading glasses ! $4's for the reading glasses.

The items in the picture are not the same or the same ammount and in the aldi one it's the homebrand bread whereas the coles n woolies it's the wonder white bread which cost alot more.

When your comparing prices it needs to be the exact same items

Last edited:

View attachment 15009

View attachment 15008

Key Takeaways

View attachment 15010

looks woollies came second not third

I would like to say that you pick the most expensive items in Coles and Woolworths which is not fair. Aldi doesn't have the same brand names. So I think you should do it again. For people who don't like IGA try shopping on a Thursday, you can get 5% off for senior card.

View attachment 15009

View attachment 15008

Key Takeaways

View attachment 15010

I live on my own ,I don’t cook much using my stove ,I don’t buy potatoes ,as they go of to fast I find shopping at ALDI is cheaper ,I also go to Ten Top buy small frozen containers of Potato bake n Fried rice I add prawns from Aldi to the fried rice for a nice meal ,potato bake I use with chops
,steak when I want a hot meal ,mostly I have salads with chicken marinated Drum sticks,avocado cheese ,tomato,lettuce bowls ,I have 2 airfryers I use a lot to cheaper then turning the grill on my stove

That story is misleading! Coles and Woolworths weren't just 40 cents and $2.38 dearer, the amount would have been considerably higher since she could not purchase all items on her list in either store

As to brand names, it may come as a surprise that Europe has vastly different brand names than Australia and Aldi stocks some excellent European brands. Whenever I visit Europe, my first stop is the nearest Aldi store.

View attachment 15009

View attachment 15008

Key Takeaways

View attachment 15010

If I read and understood the article correctly, not all of the items on the list were purchased from each supermarket.
A better, and more accurate, comparison would be to show how much the total at Coles and Woolworths would have cost if everything on the list were purchased. Mary Madigan's results cannot be taken seriously.
As it stands, readers would think that there is only a minor difference between the three, and not worth switching for.
A very poor and misleading report - not up to your normal standard ! And what about Mary not including IGA in the exercise?

Last edited:
Reactions: Ricci
I have done my shopping just about at every supermarket in my town (country town) ... I always ! buy most of my groceries at ALDI, I get a lot more than at Coles & Woollies. A 500 gram tub of BUTTER at Aldi is under $5 ... while at the other 2 they are over $7 close to $8 a tub. And ALDI has my most favourite yoghurt ... omg, so yum ..... 6 tubs in the package for under $3 !!!!! IGA is a rip off, very very expensive. I went to them once, looked at the prices of ordinary things like bread, oil and toiletpaper ...... omgosh ! I walked out and never went back. ALDI is for me, The Reject Shop for batteries, Laundry powder, dog food which my dog loves and only eats from them ... Shampoo's & Conditioners, and some cleaning products AND for my reading glasses ! $4's for the reading glasses.
I would like to say that you pick the most expensive items in Coles and Woolworths which is not fair. Aldi doesn't have the same brand names. So I think you should do it again. For people who don't like IGA try shopping on a Thursday, you can get 5% off for senior card.
No seniors discount at IGA in WA

• Sad
Looking forward to the extra $37.50 in our pension soon. Will make up for the extra $30 per week that our groceries are now costing.

Reactions: Gsr and Ricci
how is this a comparison when it's different items? And dishwashing tabs should be on Aldi's list as well and then they would also have had to leave items off. And this comparison was only about a $2 difference! that really is not a valid comparison at all.

If I read and understood the article correctly, not all of the items on the list were purchased from each supermarket.
A better, and more accurate, comparison would be to show how much the total at Coles and Woolworths would have cost if everything on the list were purchased. Mary Madigan's results cannot be taken seriously.
As it stands, readers would think that there is only a minor difference between the three, and not worth switching for.
A very poor and misleading report - not up to your normal standard ! And what about Mary not including IGA in the exercise?
IGA is useless unless you buy what they deem to be specials. The one in our area went bust & sold out to a Chinese mob who run the store far better than the IGA mob. So unless you have a competitive marketplace where all the stores are representative then never add IGA to any list as they are only as good as their franchisees! So are not worth a mention.

• Sad
Reactions: Geophph and Ricci