The Trials and Tribulations Of New Car ownership!

As many of you will know from reading my various posts throughout last year I was seriously thinking about upgrading my 2011 Nissan Xtrail for a new, possibly electric car.

Well, that decision was taken out of my hands late last November when I got "T boned" in my car and it was subsequently written off. It didn't look very roadworthy after the firies cut off both drivers side doors. plus the centre column to get me out. Luckily I was uninjured but I had to spend the day at the hospital having various tests.

Living rural is a nightmare if you don't have transport so a replacement car was high on my list of priorities. I had to turn words into action so I pulled up my big girls pants, took a gulp and launched myself at the Car Yards.

Having decided that as I have solar at my house with some spare capacity I could go electric and "drive sunshine"! I opted for an MG4 extended range.

It was ready for delivery the last Friday of the year and I excitedly took myself off to take possession of my new toy.

Now ladies, remember the feeling when you arrived home from hospital with your first newborn? How suddenly you were responsible for a new life and felt totally inadequate for the task? Well, that's about how I felt after driving the beast home.

I'm not a dunce, I've been driving for over 50 years, damn, I even used to race cars but these new fangled things are a thing to behold!

They tell you that with cars these days all you have to do is steer, that's not strictly true. Suddenly there are decisions to be made and I'm terrible, give me a choice of two things and I'm totally flummoxed! Simple things like seat position (six way adjustment), steering wheel (infinitely variable) mirrors etc. all with options. All that and you haven't even turned the engine on yet. Then there's things like do you want one, two or three car lengths between you and the car in front, do you want the power steering light, normal or heavy. How do you want to drive? Eco, normal, sport or something else who's name escapes me for the minute! Do I want the braking to be regenerative and if so how much? There are a million questions like those to be answered for you to get the best from the vehicle.

I haven't even tackled the infotainment system yet, I'm leaving that for another day when my brain doesn't hurt so much, or when my tech savvy son visits!

I've tried reading the manual, who writes those things? I do not have a degree in car speak so most of it went right over my head and I'm none the wiser.

I've decided that I've just got to get on with it, hope that my decisions are mostly the right ones and that I've got it set up in a good way. Maybe some of the intricacies will become clearer with use, I don't know.

It sits there in the garage like some sort of untrained monster, mocking me, telling me that for all my years of driving I know very little about modern cars which after all are mainly a computer and a battery.

Anyway, be that as it may, I'm off out for a spin around the block, just because I can and I'll sail past the filling station with a smug, self satisfied smile, after all, I'm driving Sunshine, now, can we please have some!!

Sponsored
This is a great article Ricci , and as always such a greatly written article at that.

I think I would also have trouble understanding how to run it.

I know that you were seriously injured in that accident and what a bad year 2023 was for you. But it is 2024 and I wish nothing but sunshine and rainbows 🌈 💛 for 2024

Hopefully @sdc will add this article to the daily newsletter, I think alot of people, who only read the newsletter
will want to read this

I miss you posting , you are one of my favourite people.

Hi @Ricci I bought a Subaru Forester recently and the salesrep spent a lot of time showing me the bits and pieces on delivery, with over the phone guidance after that. A month later it went in for a 1000km check and they asked me what I hadnt figured out. The list was reasonably long, so another long session of coaching. Hopefully your MG supplier will give you the same courtesy. I'm reasonably in control of all the gadgets now, but I turn 5 frustating assistant items off before driving away each time.

Hi @Ricci I bought a Subaru Forester recently and the salesrep spent a lot of time showing me the bits and pieces on delivery, with over the phone guidance after that. A month later it went in for a 1000km check and they asked me what I hadnt figured out. The list was reasonably long, so another long session of coaching. Hopefully your MG supplier will give you the same courtesy. I'm reasonably in control of all the gadgets now, but I turn 5 frustating assistant items off before driving away each time.
Thanks for your comments.
The sales people did run through a lot when I went to pick up the car but it was really a case of information overload.
I realise I could call them with my questions but as a reasonably intelligent person I reckon I should be able to figure out most of the stuff.
I must admit also, there may also have been a few tongue in cheek comments in the original article!

This is a great article Ricci , and as always such a greatly written article at that.

I think I would also have trouble understanding how to run it.

I know that you were seriously injured in that accident and what a bad year 2023 was for you. But it is 2024 and I wish nothing but sunshine and rainbows 🌈 💛 for 2024

Hopefully @sdc will add this article to the daily newsletter, I think alot of people, who only read the newsletter
will want to read this

I miss you posting , you are one of my favourite people.
Thanks for the tag! I'm not sure who owns that account, but it's not actually us. :unsure: Feel free to tag me, if you like!

@Ricci a wonderful article and I'm pleased you are now in good health after your ordeal.

Having bought my first brand new car in 1996 (Ford Falcon EFII station wagon), I received over half an hour "orientation" tour from the salesman. Stationary and driving. Trying out the new fandangled thingy called ABS was fun.

Taking it home on a Saturday afternoon along an ultra busy Parramatta Road in torrential rain and heavy traffic took 10 years off my life!

Loved your article Ricci and I’m sure you’ll soon be on top of everything soon. New technology is a little overwhelming isn’t it? Our eight yr old Subaru is bad enough & I have a few things to turn off before I drive off. Think we’ll time the next new car purchase to coincide with a visit from my son so he can sort us out. After one of the services it came home with a new beep & I can’t stand things beeping at me so now they get a list of requests including to not send it back beeping. Keep asking them to make it shorter but that hasn’t worked yet. Glad that you have recovered from your accident & keep us posted on your electric car, please.

I'm getting more used to the quirks and foibles of my new car but it has the power to scare the bejesus out of me.
I had an appointment at the doctors in the week and drove there no problem. When it came to coming home again I got into the car, fixed my seatbelt, foot on the brake pedal and turn the gear knob from park to drive. I was just about to pull away when the damned car spoke to me!! A womans voice said there was a problem with the right rear tyre and I should call into the service centre. Who the? What the? Since when do cars speak?
Needless to say, instead of going home I went straight to the car yard service centre and asked them what it was all about. Turns out the tyres just needed some air in them but how was I to know. Apparently tyre health is really important for an electric car, who knew? I'm curious now to find out what else the car has to say, maybe find out it's opinions on a range of topics!!

That would have been a shock Ricci. At least ours only flashes red lights at us. I have trouble with Siri talking to us with her “I don’t understand” but not sure if I’m ready for a talking car.

Reactions: DLHM and Ricci
I just had the pleasure of reading your bright and interesting story Ricci, thank you.
I have been considering updating my vehicle and am so happy that you shared your experience. Sorry to hear you had an accident, hope you're feeling better. Sending 🌞💐

We do the same with our Hyundai Venue, the only thing we leave on is backing warning beep. No little person could get run over that way we don't have any but mothers don't seem to control their little ones in car parks.

Reactions: PattiB and Ricci
Hi, thanks for being brave. I too, had my car written off and had to make a quick decision on a new car. I love electric motors, but yet to be convince electric cars are the solution (for whole heap of reasons). But the main thing is enjoy your new ride.

I have a 20 year old Toyota Camry. It’s been very reliable and I think I’ll keep it for now. I don’t want a whole lot of gadgets or voices disturbing me when I drive. I recall an experience we had driving in England a few years ago. My partner was driving our rental car and we’d already been held up by road works. We were driving from Cornwall and heading for Stonehenge. When the long line of traffic started to move , with only one lane open, my partner found that the handbrake was on. It was automatic. We couldn’t work out how to turn if off. The car was stuck. There was no handbook in the glove box as apparently people steal them. After a while I ended up having to get out and explain the situation to the understanding couple in the car behind us. My partner finally figured out how to release the handbrake and we were mobile again followed by a huge line of cars. We made it to Stonehenge with enough time to see the place. I decided then I didn’t want a more modern car!

Reactions: PattiB and Ricci