The timeless charm of Golden Girls, the sitcom guaranteed to lift spirits any time!

In an era dominated by family sitcoms like The Cosby Show and Growing Pains, along came a comedy featuring four mature women living life on their own terms.

For over 35 years since its premiere, The Golden Girls has continuously brought laughter and warmth into living rooms worldwide with its zinger-filled adventures of four unlikely roommates.

At first glance, Dorothy Zbornak (Bea Arthur), Rose Nylund (Betty White), Blanche Devereaux (Rue McClanahan), and Sophia Petrillo (Estelle Getty) seem an odd quartet—a stern teacher, a sweet midwesterner, a flirty southern belle, and Dorothy's sharp-tongued mother—but beneath the surface lies a deep caring friendship.

SDC Images (7).png
The Golden Girls was a sitcom that bravely tackled pressing societal issues. Image source: Disney+.

The show, which aired from 1985 to 1992, followed the women as they bonded while living together in Florida. Behind the jokes, the show also dealt with pressing issues such as mortality, fidelity, racism, depression, addiction, and other societal struggles.

The episode when Blanche’s gay brother and partner appeared remains popular among the LGBTQ+ community, while another episode discussed the HIV-AIDS crisis when Rose needed to undergo a blood transfusion.

The show is said to be Ru Paul’s (a famous American drag queen) favourite show because of its heightened sass and fearlessness regarding issues most other shows were too afraid to touch.

The show pulled back the curtains on the journey of ageing as it showcased the ways in which seniors can be flawed, passionate, monumentally stupid, brave, and even horny—all while maintaining its humour.

Through it all, the power of the women's friendship shone as their greatest strength as they proved that the family you make might sometimes be stronger than the one you’re born with.

It also taught viewers that they can make a new family and forge new bonds, even if their old one forgets about them.

Despite the dynamic changes in the show's last two seasons, they still produced hit episodes.

Its two-part finale, written by Mitch Hurwitz (the creator of Arrested Development) with the appearance of guest star Leslie Nielsen playing Dorothy’s love interest, is also remembered as one of the best in the show’s history.

The sitcom was also said to have the best theme song in the history of all sitcom theme songs. Take a trip down memory lane and listen to their theme song below:

Source: Youtube/TV Land.

The Golden Girls
is now available to watch on Disney+ for $13.99 per month or $139.99 annually.

Key Takeaways
  • The Golden Girls is a popular sitcom that ran from 1985 to 1992.
  • The show took on significant societal issues such as mortality, fidelity, racism, and depression, and portrayed a vivid picture of ageing.
  • The Golden Girls remains popular in the LGBTQ+ community and has been praised for its fearless approach to topics other shows feared addressing.
  • The Golden Girls is currently available for streaming on Disney+.
Members, have you ever watched The Golden Girls? What was your favourite episode? Share them with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
In an era dominated by family sitcoms like The Cosby Show and Growing Pains, along came a comedy featuring four mature women living life on their own terms.

For over 35 years since its premiere, The Golden Girls has continuously brought laughter and warmth into living rooms worldwide with its zinger-filled adventures of four unlikely roommates.

At first glance, Dorothy Zbornak (Bea Arthur), Rose Nylund (Betty White), Blanche Devereaux (Rue McClanahan), and Sophia Petrillo (Estelle Getty) seem an odd quartet—a stern teacher, a sweet midwesterner, a flirty southern belle, and Dorothy's sharp-tongued mother—but beneath the surface lies a deep caring friendship.

View attachment 33376
The Golden Girls was a sitcom that bravely tackled pressing societal issues. Image source: Disney+.

The show, which aired from 1985 to 1992, followed the women as they bonded while living together in Florida. Behind the jokes, the show also dealt with pressing issues such as mortality, fidelity, racism, depression, addiction, and other societal struggles.

The episode when Blanche’s gay brother and partner appeared remains popular among the LGBTQ+ community, while another episode discussed the HIV-AIDS crisis when Rose needed to undergo a blood transfusion.

The show is said to be Ru Paul’s (a famous American drag queen) favourite show because of its heightened sass and fearlessness regarding issues most other shows were too afraid to touch.

The show pulled back the curtains on the journey of ageing as it showcased the ways in which seniors can be flawed, passionate, monumentally stupid, brave, and even horny—all while maintaining its humour.

Through it all, the power of the women's friendship shone as their greatest strength as they proved that the family you make might sometimes be stronger than the one you’re born with.

It also taught viewers that they can make a new family and forge new bonds, even if their old one forgets about them.

Despite the dynamic changes in the show's last two seasons, they still produced hit episodes.

Its two-part finale, written by Mitch Hurwitz (the creator of Arrested Development) with the appearance of guest star Leslie Nielsen playing Dorothy’s love interest, is also remembered as one of the best in the show’s history.

The sitcom was also said to have the best theme song in the history of all sitcom theme songs. Take a trip down memory lane and listen to their theme song below:

Source: Youtube/TV Land.

The Golden Girls is now available to watch on Disney+ for $13.99 per month or $139.99 annually.

Key Takeaways

• The Golden Girls is a popular sitcom that ran from 1985 to 1992.
  • The show took on significant societal issues such as mortality, fidelity, racism, and depression, and portrayed a vivid picture of ageing.
  • The Golden Girls remains popular in the LGBTQ+ community and has been praised for its fearless approach to topics other shows feared addressing.
  • The Golden Girls is currently available for streaming on Disney+.
Members, have you ever watched The Golden Girls? What was your favourite episode? Share them with us in the comments below!

GOOD MORNING EVERYONE.
I loved the Golden Girls especially cranky Granny who said just as she saw it. I wish they would put on more shows like this BUT look at how much these money grabbing companies are charging us to watch it. I think most of us are watching free to air because we just can't afford tv, food and rent. I still can't understand "streaming' To me a stream is like a creek with water in it. You'd get electrocuted if you put water in the tv. LOL When Golden Girls was made they knew how to make things fun. I also liked Bonanza and Cop Shop.

Reactions: Jersey Girl
Make sure you watch Grace and Frankie.
HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU ALL.
🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳
thank you but I don't know who they are. I've never been a big tv person and certainly not things you have to watch for years like Home and Gone Astray and The Mob Next Door. How many ways can they write who's up who and who's paid the rent? I prefer news, current affairs, documentaries, Yorkshire Vets and cricket (my cousin's son is Steven Smith).

thank you but I don't know who they are. I've never been a big tv person and certainly not things you have to watch for years like Home and Gone Astray and The Mob Next Door. How many ways can they write who's up who and who's paid the rent? I prefer news, current affairs, documentaries, Yorkshire Vets and cricket (my cousin's son is Steven Smith).
Haha. I don't know who Steven Smith is because I don't enjoy sport.
I am a fan of interesting documentaries and I enjoy docu-dramas where an interesting true event is made into a short series. It's gives you an inkling of the inside story.

Reactions: Littleboy8
Who on earth are grace and Frankie🤔
Grace and Frankie are a pair of septuagenarians who live together because of a family circumstance. It makes for a very funny show but what I find most about it is it's ability to take my mind off everything and let's me relax and have a good laugh. Nothing bad ultimately happens to anyone and I have had a peaceful hour or so.

Who's Steven Smith
Grace and Frankie are a pair of septuagenarians who live together because of a family circumstance. It makes for a very funny show but what I find most about it is it's ability to take my mind off everything and let's me relax and have a good laugh. Nothing bad ultimately happens to anyone and I have had a peaceful hour or so.
Grace and Frankie is a short series about the older generation.
What does Steven Smith have to do with anything? 🤔

Haha. I don't know who Steven Smith is because I don't enjoy sport.
I am a fan of interesting documentaries and I enjoy docu-dramas where an interesting true event is made into a short series. It's gives you an inkling of the inside story.
I’m with you I don’t enjoy sport used to many moons ago when it was competitive now it’s just plain boring. Especially test cricket. Ho hum🤣love docos and old movies etc.

Who's Steven Smith

Grace and Frankie is a short series about the older generation.
What does Steven Smith have to do with anything? 🤔
just the reason I like cricket. He is one of the top batsmen for Australia. I only mentioned him amongst what I watch on tv.

I’m with you I don’t enjoy sport used to many moons ago when it was competitive now it’s just plain boring. Especially test cricket. Ho hum🤣love docos and old movies etc.
I like documentaries but don't watch movies because I get up too early and know I'll end up asleep before the end of the film.

Reactions: Littleboy8
Not only did I love watching “The Golden Girls” but so did my daughter, and at 27 she’s watching them all over again 💖

just the reason I like cricket. He is one of the top batsmen for Australia. I only mentioned him amongst what I watch on tv.
Gamiry, please accept my apologies, I did not read your post properly. Of course, I know who Steve Smith is, but I was not thinking about cricket.
Happy New year.