KenAlunan

Mar 22, 2024
The surprising sleep trick taking social media by storm

Social media has become a goldmine for ingenious tips and tricks, especially when it comes to solving pesky problems like the struggle to get a good night's sleep.

These platforms are brimming with suggestions ranging from ditching melatonin to trying out brown noise or munching on almonds before hitting the hay.

In a video that's gone viral, racking up a whopping 19 million views, Callie Galey shared a rather unconventional yet surprisingly effective method for catching those elusive Z's. And guess what? All you need is a hoodie.

‘I've been getting the best sleep for four nights now’, Callie says in the video. ‘I'm going to show you how I've hacked the system. So all you need is the sweatshirt. Here's what I like to do.’

photo1.jpg
Some social media websites have over three million hits under #sleep. Image Source: TikTok / @calliegalley

She then proceeds to fold the hoodie in half, letting the sleeves hang down before wrapping the body of the hoodie around her head.

‘Once you're on your pillow, grab the arm sleeves and wrap them around your face’, she explains. ‘So you will look like this when you go to sleep at night. I have been getting the best sleep of my life ever. It's so comfortable. I don't know how to explain it but it works wonders. So do that.’

It's no surprise that Callie's video struck a chord, given how many people struggle with sleep.

According to a sleep census by Sealy Posturepedic, a whopping 86 per cent of Aussies surveyed reported having trouble falling asleep or staying asleep each night, with only 6 per cent claiming to wake up feeling well-rested most mornings.

And it seems like younger Aussies are hit the hardest, with 90 per cent of them admitting to grappling with sleep issues. It's no wonder they're turning to social media for solutions.

Despite the unconventional nature of Callie's method, her followers were quick to express their enthusiasm for trying it out.

‘I have been sleeping so terribly I’ll literally try anything at this point’, one person wrote.

‘This looks so insane but I am 100% trying it tonight’, another chimed in.

And then there was the person who suggested Callie should patent her idea, seemingly oblivious to the fact that hoodies already exist.

However, sleep expert Shea Morrison advises caution, noting that there isn't substantial scientific evidence to support the effectiveness of this method.

‘I often explain to people that sleep preferences and conditions vary among individuals, and what works for one person may not work for another’, says Shea.

So why did Callie's trick work for her?

Source: TikTok / @calliegalley​

‘The theory behind this hack suggests that wearing a sweater raises your body temperature, leading to vasodilation (the widening of blood vessels), which may mimic the body’s natural cooling process before sleep’, Shea explains.

Amongst all the praise, there were also doubts raised about whether the trick would work for everyone.

‘There is just no way hahahaha,’ one person commented.

But Shea also warns about the safety considerations of such advice.

‘Overheating during sleep can disrupt your rest and potentially lead to discomfort or increase certain conditions like night sweats or hot flushes’, she warns.

‘And, if the sweatshirt is made from material that doesn’t breathe, it could interfere with your ability to regulate body temperature, leading to potential sleep disturbances.’

However, it seems Callie isn't alone in her unique sleeping habits, with many viewers sharing their own unusual methods.

‘I sleep with a sleep mask, a pillow on my face, a pillow on my side and one on my waist. Blanket up to the mouth only my nose is out. If I don’t, I'm unable to sleep’, one person shared.

Another added, ‘I achieve this too but with my blanket. Been doing it since I'm in college. It's the best way to sleep! 100% recommend!’

compressed-pexels-mikhail-nilov-8317802.jpeg
Nearly half of all Australian adults report at least two sleep-related problems. Image Source: Pexels / Mikhail Nilov

But Shea advises that there are more effective, scientifically backed ways to improve sleep.

‘One effective approach is to establish a consistent bedtime routine that signals to your body it’s time to wind down and prepare for sleep’, she suggests. ‘This routine can include–dimming the lights at least an hour before bed, practising relaxation techniques like gentle stretching or reading a book.’

Shea also recommends using an eye mask to block out light and signal to your brain that it’s time for rest, as well as incorporating mindfulness practices such as meditation or guided imagery to alleviate stress and promote relaxation.

‘By prioritising these evidence-based strategies, individuals can optimise their sleep hygiene and achieve more restful and rejuvenating sleep without relying on potentially unreliable or unproven methods,’ Shea concludes.

Key Takeaways
  • A social media personality named Callie Galey has shared a sleep tip online that involves wrapping a hoodie around one's head, which she claims has led to the best sleep of her life.
  • The video has gone viral with over 19 million views, reflecting the widespread interest in and struggles with achieving good sleep.
  • Sleep expert Shea Morrison is sceptical about the trick's effectiveness and safety, noting that it lacks substantial scientific evidence and may cause overheating or interfere with the body's ability to regulate temperature.
  • Shea suggests evidence-based strategies for better sleep, such as establishing a consistent bedtime routine, using an eye mask to block out light, and engaging in relaxation practices like meditation or gentle stretching.

Looking for more ways to improve your sleep? Explore our comprehensive guide to better sleep habits and discover additional tips to enhance your nightly rest

What do you think of this viral online sleep trick? Are you willing to try it, or do you have your own methods for drifting off to dreamland? Let us know below!

"And it seems like younger Aussies are hit the hardest, with 90 per cent of them admitting to grappling with sleep issues. It's no wonder they're turning to social media for solutions."

A lot of this is all self inflicted with their late night outings and drinking on any day of the week.
My grandson does it and I am just a little concerned that he will end up killing someone or himself because he drives trucks. Tell him to go to bed earlier during the week and he only argues back.

wouldn't work for me either, I moderate to serve hearing loss in the right ear. so, if I lie on my left I don't anything, so now I have smoke alert which has a flashing light. Somehow being asleep if it went off, I doubt the alarm (sound) alone would wake me.

wouldn't work for me either, I moderate to serve hearing loss in the right ear. so, if I lie on my left I don't anything, so now I have smoke alert which has a flashing light. Somehow being asleep if it went off, I doubt the alarm (sound) alone would wake me.
I too have the severe hearing loss with my left ear and definately wouldn't hear the smoke alarm if I sleep on my right side. But this doesn't stop me from doing things like this for a good nights sleep. Living in fear isn't living.

Reactions: KaraJenna