The surprising mistakes you're making every time you do laundry

You thought you were just doing laundry, but little did you know–you may have been committing fashion crimes with every wash! The way we care for our clothes can have surprising consequences, and it's time we make amends with our wardrobes.

The wear and tear of washing machines

Our trusty washing machines, while essential, are not as gentle on clothes as we might think. Research has shown that the type of washing machine, the cycle chosen, detergents used, temperature, duration, and fabric type all contribute to the wear and tear of our clothes.

The battle between top-loaders and front-loaders is more than just about space efficiency; it's about how they treat your clothes. Top-loaders, with their central agitators, are more vigorous, while front-loaders rely on gravity and less water to get the job done. Both have their pros and cons, but the key is understanding which is best for your laundry.

compressed-pexels-sarah-chai-7282376.jpeg
The type of washing machine is an important consideration. Image Source: Pexels / Sarah Chai

When faced with the myriad of options on your washing machine panel, remember that less is often more. Everyday stains typically require shorter, cooler washes. Reserve the heavy-duty settings for items that need a deeper clean.

Choosing the wrong program can be disastrous for your favourite blouse or shirt. High temperatures and intense agitation can weaken fibres, leading to holes and a prematurely aged garment.

The fabric's fate under the microscope

At the microscopic level, the yarns that make up our clothes are the first to suffer in the wash. The length and twist of the fibres, along with the fabric's structure, dictate how many fibres will be lost during each cycle.

compressed-pexels-anete-lusina-6331032.jpeg
Fabrics react differently to the wash. Image Source: Pexels / Anete Lusina

Knitted fabrics with their open structures are particularly vulnerable, shedding more fibres than their tightly woven counterparts. Meanwhile, sports attire made from continuous filament yarns tends to be more resilient in the wash.

Natural fibres like cotton and wool have their own challenges. Cotton may be tightly twisted into yarn, but it can still break free. Wool, with its short fibres and scales, is prone to tangling and felting, leading to shrinkage when mixed with heat and agitation.

Chemical reactions in the wash

The detergents and additives we use can also be culprits in the deterioration of our clothes. Modern detergents are adept at stain removal, but the inclusion of bleaching agents and other harsh chemicals can wreak havoc on sensitive fibres like wool and silk.

To avoid a laundry disaster, it's crucial to match your detergent to the fabric type and to use the correct amount. Overloading on chemicals won't make your clothes any cleaner, but it might send them to an early grave.

Washing less is more

So, how can we extend the life of our clothes? The simplest solution is to wash them less frequently. When you do wash, pay close attention to care labels and choose your wash cycle wisely. Until the day our machines can automatically detect fabric types and adjust settings accordingly, the responsibility lies with us.

Before tossing your clothes into the hamper, take a moment to consider their condition. It's not about neglecting hygiene but about being mindful of our laundry habits.
Key Takeaways

• Common laundry practices can harm clothes, prompting a reevaluation of garment care to avoid unintended damage.
  • Washing machines influence clothing longevity, with factors such as machine type, cycle choice, detergent selection, and fabric type all playing crucial roles.
  • Washing affects clothes at a microscopic level, with yarn structure, fabric type, and detergent composition impacting fibre loss, felting, and shrinkage, especially in natural fibres like cotton and wool.
Remember, your clothes have a story, a journey from the loom to your wardrobe. Treat them with care, and they'll continue to be part of your life's narrative for many chapters to come.

Share your laundry experiences and insights in the comments below! We'd love to hear your tips for keeping clothes fresh and lasting longer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
in my house i have a wife and son who think more detergent the better even though i have shown and explained that that is not so.i use 1/8th of the recommended detergent and two tablespoons of bicarb and two tablespoons of white vinegar in the fabric softener part ab recommended by cleaning guru Sannon Lush

Reactions: Iggydi
If you live alone you are likely to waste a lot of money doing several loads of washing, to match clothes to detergents and wash cycles.

Especially when, like me, the life expectancy of you is less than what you are wearing.

If you live alone you are likely to waste a lot of money doing several loads of washing, to match clothes to detergents and wash cycles.

Especially when, like me, the life expectancy of you is less than what you are wearing.
You know you don't need to do several loads of washing. There is a product they sell in the supermarkets called Colour Catchers. You can put whites, coloureds and dark clothes together and the colour catcher does it's job. I have been using them for years. I was lucky enough to try them when they were thinking about putting them on the market. I used to leave one or 2 items (usually red or black) in my whites and they would always run. Using colour catchers has stopped all of this. I have got many people using these over the years and not one of them has had any issues using them. I used to work in the laundry of a 5 star hotel both in Brisbane and Hayman Island. I wish the colour catchers were available then.

in my house i have a wife and son who think more detergent the better even though i have shown and explained that that is not so.i use 1/8th of the recommended detergent and two tablespoons of bicarb and two tablespoons of white vinegar in the fabric softener part ab recommended by cleaning guru Sannon Lush
I was told by a washing machine tech that you shouldn't use vinegar in your washing machine. I used to do the same as you but after being told I now only put in bi carb for the softener

You know you don't need to do several loads of washing. There is a product they sell in the supermarkets called Colour Catchers. You can put whites, coloureds and dark clothes together and the colour catcher does it's job.
I didn't mention colour.

My post was about matching fabrics to wash cycles and detergents, which is what the article above was referring to.

• Sad
Reactions: Bullwinkle
I didn't mention colour.

My post was about matching fabrics to wash cycles and detergents, which is what the article above was referring to.
You can also wash most clothes in cold water on gentler cycles even if the label says to wash in hot water. If there are any different colour trim on your clothes they are added to the clothes after the label is attached so washing them in hot water will make them run. Hot water shrinks some fabrics. I found this out through my time in the hotel laundries. We had to reimburse a few people even when it was washed according to the instructions on the label