The surprising but IMPORTANT reason why pen lids have a tiny hole – ‘I had no idea!’

Previously, we learned what the tiny holes in plane windows are and how important they are when it comes to keeping passengers comfortable and safe. Well, it turns out that the same detail on pen lids holds a little-known but important role too! And no, it's not because of anything related to the ink – it's designed to potentially save someone’s life.

In an Instagram video, Zach D, who has over two million YouTube subscribers, detailed why certain biro and ballpoint pens have a small hole at the top.

In the clip, he said that most people believe it has something to do with the ink, but the true reason is 'much more important than that'.

'Pen companies are required to add these little holes.' Zach explained.

'You see, there's just enough space for airflow if the cap gets stuck in someone's throat.'

The video then flashed an image of an x-ray showing how the lid design could allow air to pass through the throat if swallowed.

SxezcmnqEvA6foK9Bc2F0dvD7JTNV4KmUSwbvo6CK1_0uwlj2fPC5rdjc7f48HatPFGQMOa59-VS01oM1pCAaR0u32DpPbtpaoesmEIYXLgA4HXuQN01Jg4hb5lvVfwdjTR7Xfh47jlY8Yjt2uRuvXyabo4hE6bLn1CNk6YxEO84j1df6kIUX52gew
7r5O6DTX5nfbpMtx21O32EmYJixemCVOKiHyvRkMgKErqc9cl7kXZ2QD1-xG4uuBJ6pJa2B5C_KOfgLoQ5za_mqRHDQIZoqZjE0UmxLEdMrKxm9Gv4bvlLvZ7NVtWpKIlwPr7V1hYi3aoSz7OLj9qgEdQsozbPg5L51kwLI3ikSDmQA2TZVh_YfUJA

The little-known reason why pen lids have a hole on top. Source: @zackdfilms

Zach’s Instagram video was viewed more than 3.1 million times, with thousands of users in the comments blown away by the obscure reason.

'I remember chewing this pen cap when I was a kid.’ one person recalled.

'Wow, hopefully, that never happens to anyone...’ another added.

However, a few claimed to have known this for 'years'.

'I thought this was common knowledge?' one person questioned.

Another chimed: 'Everyone knows this.’

Source: @zachdfilms

Global pen company BIC confirmed the reason for the design choice in the FAQ section of its website.

'The reason that some BIC pens have a hole in their cap is to prevent the cap from completely obstructing the airway if accidentally inhaled.' the website reads.

'This is requested by the international safety standards ISO11540, except for in cases where the cap is considered too large to be a choking hazard.'

We’re not exactly sure if that was a fascinating or horrifying fact to know…. But one thing’s for sure – we’re never going to chew on pen caps again!

What are your thoughts about this detail on top of pen lids? Did you know about its true purpose before reading this story? Let us know in the comments!

Sponsored
Previously, we learned what the tiny holes in plane windows are and how important they are when it comes to keeping passengers comfortable and safe. Well, it turns out that the same detail on pen lids holds a little-known but important role too! And no, it's not because of anything related to the ink – it's designed to potentially save someone’s life.

In an Instagram video, Zach D, who has over two million YouTube subscribers, detailed why certain biro and ballpoint pens have a small hole at the top.

In the clip, he said that most people believe it has something to do with the ink, but the true reason is 'much more important than that'.

'You see, there's just enough space for airflow if the cap gets stuck in someone's throat.'

The video then flashed an image of an x-ray showing how the lid design could allow air to pass through the throat if swallowed.

SxezcmnqEvA6foK9Bc2F0dvD7JTNV4KmUSwbvo6CK1_0uwlj2fPC5rdjc7f48HatPFGQMOa59-VS01oM1pCAaR0u32DpPbtpaoesmEIYXLgA4HXuQN01Jg4hb5lvVfwdjTR7Xfh47jlY8Yjt2uRuvXyabo4hE6bLn1CNk6YxEO84j1df6kIUX52gew
7r5O6DTX5nfbpMtx21O32EmYJixemCVOKiHyvRkMgKErqc9cl7kXZ2QD1-xG4uuBJ6pJa2B5C_KOfgLoQ5za_mqRHDQIZoqZjE0UmxLEdMrKxm9Gv4bvlLvZ7NVtWpKIlwPr7V1hYi3aoSz7OLj9qgEdQsozbPg5L51kwLI3ikSDmQA2TZVh_YfUJA

Zach’s Instagram video was viewed more than 3.1 million times, with thousands of users in the comments blown away by the obscure reason.

Global pen company BIC confirmed the reason for the design choice in the FAQ section of its website.

'The reason that some BIC pens have a hole in their cap is to prevent the cap from completely obstructing the airway if accidentally inhaled.' the website reads.

'This is requested by the international safety standards ISO11540, except for in cases where the cap is considered too large to be a choking hazard.'

We’re not exactly sure if that was a fascinating or horrifying fact to know…. But one thing’s for sure – we’re never going to chew on pen caps again!

What are your thoughts about this detail on top of pen lids? Did you know about its true purpose before reading this story? Let us know in the comments!

This actually happened to a high school student in Sydney a number of years ago. He was chewing on the lid end of a pen when a classmate slapped him on the back and made him laugh. He involuntarily sucked the cap off and it went straight down his throat. He died because he couldn’t breathe.

This actually happened to a high school student in Sydney a number of years ago. He was chewing on the lid end of a pen when a classmate slapped him on the back and made him laugh. He involuntarily sucked the cap off and it went straight down his throat. He died because he couldn’t breathe.
😯

As a trainee nurse at the Royal Children's Hospital in Melbourne, I remember numerous children having XRays to find the biro caps.
Then they had to go to theatre for a bronchoscopy to retrieve said objects and stay in hospital for observation overnight.
Incredibly traumatic for everyone, never forgotten.

Im one of the reasons for these holes, they weren’t around in 1976 but fortunately my brother put his hand down my throat and dislodged the pen lid I had swallowed. I was 15 and lounging in mums bed watching tv (no kids had tv in their own room in 1976), writing down jokes from the Don Lane Show, seriously what was I thinking 🤔 I must have laughed at something and next thing I knew I couldn’t breath. I managed to stumble to the hallway near my 19 year old brother’s bedroom door and indicated to him I couldn’t breath. He tried thumping my back but then put his fingers down my throat and “tickled” it free so I could cough it
up. He had teeth marks on his wrist !! It was a terrifying minute or so that seemed like 10 !! Mum came out of the lounge when she heard the noise and thought we were fighting because he was hitting me on the back (she thought we had outgrown that years before 😃). My sister had called an ambulance before my brother had dislodged it and then called them back to say I was ok. They still came and then took me to hospital to make sure there was no damage to my throat but I didn’t even get an exciting ambulance ride as I needed to sit up, so sat in the front. I only had a scratch and had to gargle with salt water for a week. Ever since I have always thrown out the lid whenever I get a new pen and am still very careful with the grandkids (as I was with my kids) about them not chewing things. For years whenever I thought about this event it made me feel sick and scared but I’m ok about it now. Very grateful to my big brother to this day .. who happened to be studying dentistry at the time and had a good knowledge of anatomy.

well there you go !!! i thought it was about the ink !!!!

Reactions: JayKay and Ricci
Im one of the reasons for these holes, they weren’t around in 1976 but fortunately my brother put his hand down my throat and dislodged the pen lid I had swallowed. I was 15 and lounging in mums bed watching tv (no kids had tv in their own room in 1976), writing down jokes from the Don Lane Show, seriously what was I thinking 🤔 I must have laughed at something and next thing I knew I couldn’t breath. I managed to stumble to the hallway near my 19 year old brother’s bedroom door and indicated to him I couldn’t breath. He tried thumping my back but then put his fingers down my throat and “tickled” it free so I could cough it
up. He had teeth marks on his wrist !! It was a terrifying minute or so that seemed like 10 !! Mum came out of the lounge when she heard the noise and thought we were fighting because he was hitting me on the back (she thought we had outgrown that years before 😃). My sister had called an ambulance before my brother had dislodged it and then called them back to say I was ok. They still came and then took me to hospital to make sure there was no damage to my throat but I didn’t even get an exciting ambulance ride as I needed to sit up, so sat in the front. I only had a scratch and had to gargle with salt water for a week. Ever since I have always thrown out the lid whenever I get a new pen and am still very careful with the grandkids (as I was with my kids) about them not chewing things. For years whenever I thought about this event it made me feel sick and scared but I’m ok about it now. Very grateful to my big brother to this day .. who happened to be studying dentistry at the time and had a good knowledge of anatomy.
What an incredible experience, indeed....memorable.
And you were just passed being a toddler!
Not much difference between toddlers and teenagers, is there? (Sorry, I'm joking.)
Really goes to show how essential it was for change.
Necessity is the mother of invention couldn't be more true.

Reactions: Ezzy and Ricci
What an incredible experience, indeed....memorable.
And you were just passed being a toddler!
Not much difference between toddlers and teenagers, is there? (Sorry, I'm joking.)
Really goes to show how essential it was for change.
Necessity is the mother of invention couldn't be more true.
Just goes to show these safety measures aren’t just for toddlers 😊😊. And, no there’s not much difference between toddlers and teenagers … can probably put aging men into that category too 😆😆

You were indeed extremely lucky. Thanks for sharing this incident. Certainly drives the message home loud & clear.

Reactions: Ricci