The Shocking Paper Bag Detail That's Causing Outrage At Coles

The grocery store, a familiar and nostalgic place, evokes comfort.

Recently, the serene atmosphere of grocery stores has been disrupted by an unexpected source—the seemingly harmless paper bag.

In an effort to promote environmental consciousness, Coles has transitioned from its 15-cent reusable plastic bags to 25-cent recycled paper bags.

However, instead of welcoming this change, customers have expressed discontent, resulting in a wave of opposition against Coles.

compressed-FB resize 78 (1).jpeg
Despite their eco-friendly nature, reusable paper bags are surprisingly fragile and prone to tearing easily. Source: Facebook

Amidst the raging social media storm, stories have emerged recounting incidents of packed and ruptured bags.

Images circulating on social media portray these supposedly 'reusable' bags as torn, crumpled, and seemingly suitable for only one use at best.

One dissatisfied customer argued for a refund, highlighting how their bag couldn't even withstand the journey to the car. They said, ‘Twenty-five cents for a bag that couldn’t even make it to the car!’

Another shared a concerning experience of almost being hit by a car while attempting to retrieve groceries.

compressed-FB resize 79 (1).jpeg
The limited weight-bearing capacity of reusable paper bags makes them unsuitable for carrying heavy or bulky items. Source: Facebook

The customer shared, ‘Walking across the car park, these stupid bags broke on me. Not one, but two.’

They went on to add, ‘Almost getting hit by a car trying to pick the groceries up with my 70-year-old back.’

It appears that these bags are more likely to expose your purchases to everyone rather than keep your items safely tucked away.

In response to these concerns, a spokesperson from Coles reassured customers by stating that the paper bags had undergone independent testing.

‘Our paper bags have undergone vigorous independent testing and have been found to safely hold up six kilos of groceries, including chilled and frozen items, and can be reused multiple times.’

They added, ‘Our paper bags are made from 100% recycled paper, and unlike soft plastic, bags can be recycled kerbside.’

Key Takeaways
  • Coles supermarket has received backlash from customers over issues with its new 25-cent paper shopping bags.
  • Customers complain the paper bags break easily and are 'one-use only at best', with many posting images of ripped bags on social media.
  • A Coles spokesperson insists the paper bags are capable of holding up to six kilos of groceries and can be reused multiple times.
  • Coles has recently phased out its 15-cent reusable plastic bags, replacing them with 25-cent recycled paper bags.

Coles isn't alone in bearing the brunt of such backlash; its counterpart Woolworths also found itself in the firing line over similar paper agitation. You can read more about it here.

The journey towards eco-friendliness can certainly bring about its fair share of challenges. Nevertheless, we applaud their intentions to prioritise environmental sustainability and aspire to see enhanced implementations that address the concerns raised by customers.

By continuously refining their approaches, supermarkets can strike a balance between their environmental goals and providing a positive shopping experience for their customers.

Have you experienced any negative incidents with recyclable paper bags? If so, we would like to hear about your experiences. Additionally, if you have found alternative eco-friendly bagging solutions that you prefer, please share them with us!

Sponsored

Recently, the serene atmosphere of grocery stores has been disrupted by an unexpected source—the seemingly harmless paper bag.

In an effort to promote environmental consciousness, Coles has transitioned from its 15-cent reusable plastic bags to 25-cent recycled paper bags.

However, instead of welcoming this change, customers have expressed discontent, resulting in a wave of opposition against Coles.

View attachment 23743
Despite their eco-friendly nature, reusable paper bags are surprisingly fragile and prone to tearing easily. Source: Facebook

Amidst the raging social media storm, stories have emerged recounting incidents of packed and ruptured bags.

Images circulating on social media portray these supposedly 'reusable' bags as torn, crumpled, and seemingly suitable for only one use at best.

One dissatisfied customer argued for a refund, highlighting how their bag couldn't even withstand the journey to the car. They said, ‘Twenty-five cents for a bag that couldn’t even make it to the car!’

Another shared a concerning experience of almost being hit by a car while attempting to retrieve groceries.

View attachment 23744
The limited weight-bearing capacity of reusable paper bags makes them unsuitable for carrying heavy or bulky items. Source: Facebook

The customer shared, ‘Walking across the car park, these stupid bags broke on me. Not one, but two.’

They went on to add, ‘Almost getting hit by a car trying to pick the groceries up with my 70-year-old back.’

It appears that these bags are more likely to expose your purchases to everyone rather than keep your items safely tucked away.

In response to these concerns, a spokesperson from Coles reassured customers by stating that the paper bags had undergone independent testing.

‘Our paper bags have undergone vigorous independent testing and have been found to safely hold up six kilos of groceries, including chilled and frozen items, and can be reused multiple times.’

They added, ‘Our paper bags are made from 100% recycled paper, and unlike soft plastic, bags can be recycled kerbside.’

Key Takeaways

• Coles supermarket has received backlash from customers over issues with its new 25-cent paper shopping bags.
  • Customers complain the paper bags break easily and are 'one-use only at best', with many posting images of ripped bags on social media.
  • A Coles spokesperson insists the paper bags are capable of holding up to six kilos of groceries and can be reused multiple times.
  • Coles has recently phased out its 15-cent reusable plastic bags, replacing them with 25-cent recycled paper bags.

Coles isn't alone in bearing the brunt of such backlash; its counterpart Woolworths also found itself in the firing line over similar paper agitation. You can read more about it here.

The journey towards eco-friendliness can certainly bring about its fair share of challenges. Nevertheless, we applaud their intentions to prioritise environmental sustainability and aspire to see enhanced implementations that address the concerns raised by customers.

By continuously refining their approaches, supermarkets can strike a balance between their environmental goals and providing a positive shopping experience for their customers.

Have you experienced any negative incidents with recyclable paper bags? If so, we would like to hear about your experiences. Additionally, if you have found alternative eco-friendly bagging solutions that you prefer, please share them with us!

Us oldies are used to doing IT our way & that means taking your own bags or trolleys with you just like before the war. We also never threw anything away that could come in useful. Like butter papers that we used for cake making no cooking parchment in those days. we were also very canny with the little money we had and then making it go as far as possible. That ability should stand us in good stead now with the price of things going through the roof.

for heaven sake cant people see the bags have nothing to do with the environment. the paper bags are now a PRODUCT, purchased for pennies and sold for dollars(a highly profitable line) I can buy paper bags at about 5c ea retailing packs of 25 and im only a customer imagine what Coles would pay for 15000 per week times 300 odd stores and I think were talking about 2 or 3 cents ea and then sold for ten times that as well as removing what the plastic bags were costing and we are now talking about a PRODUCT and very profitable.. and as for the environmental aspect ...check out the other wasteful plastics they use ,like six tomatoes ,or peas and beans ,apples all packed in plastic wrap and foam etc..

View attachment 23743

View attachment 23744

Key Takeaways

Good grief! Easy answer is for supermarkets to just go back to the old paper bags we got back in pre 90s. No handles. Oroblem solved. You just picked them up in your arms, put them in your trolley (or not if you only had a couple) and took them to the car. Why carry paper bags using handles? Doesn't take much common sense to work out that it'll break or tear if you have heavy items in it ir if it's raining!

Reactions: TheBear and saundy
The easiest way to describe it is your get what you pay for, buy a cheap paper bag it ain't going to last very long buy a decent hard wearing bag you will have it for years, As the old saying goes " your first loss is your best lost "

Reactions: PattiB
I get my shopping delivered so cannot avoid the paper bags - my last order required just ONE paper bag (the rest of the shopping had it's own packaging) and I was charged $1.50 - yes, that's right $1.50 for ONE paper bag!!!!! Rang to complain and was assured that this was correct - they are charging $1.50 for the paper bags....

• Wow
Reactions: TheBear

View attachment 23743

View attachment 23744

Key Takeaways

No way I would pay for a bag... any bag.

People should just retain a sturdy cardboard carton (e.g. mango boxes with built-in hand holes) and keep this in the car. Rather than loading your groceries into the paper bags, take your shopping cart to your car and unload direct into your cardboard boxes. Once you get home, take your box of groceries out of the car straight into the house. I've been doing this for years and haven't had to buy Coles or Woolies shopping bags.

The shift from plastic to paper bags at Coles has indeed sparked quite the controversy. While the move towards environmental consciousness is commendable, it seems that the execution may have fallen short. Customers have raised valid concerns about the durability of these paper bags, with instances of bags tearing and groceries spilling out becoming all too common.
It's good to hear that Coles claims to have conducted independent testing on these bags. However, it remains to be seen whether the results of this testing align with the real-life experiences of customers. In the meantime, you might start using Custom printed reclosable bags. These bags are designed with durability in mind and might offer a more reliable option for shoppers concerned about the current paper bag situation.

Last edited:
Reactions: saundy
The shift from plastic to paper bags at Coles has indeed sparked quite the controversy. While the move towards environmental consciousness is commendable, it seems that the execution may have fallen short. Customers have raised valid concerns about the durability of these paper bags, with instances of bags tearing and groceries spilling out becoming all too common.
I am 63 but when l was 15 and worked at a Woolworths store (Safeways then) paper bags were used. Yes, the odd one did tear but most were pretty good. They were of a higher quality and standard, and thicker too.

Reactions: saundy
People should just retain a sturdy cardboard carton (e.g. mango boxes with built-in hand holes) and keep this in the car. Rather than loading your groceries into the paper bags, take your shopping cart to your car and unload direct into your cardboard boxes. Once you get home, take your box of groceries out of the car straight into the house. I've been doing this for years and haven't had to buy Coles or Woolies shopping bags.
I have NEVER bought a bag and don't intend to.

I remember when I was a kid when Mum went grocery shopping the groceries were always packed in cardboard boxes that the shop received the groceries in, Would it be simple to go back to doing this it would be better for the environment and as far as I am concerned better for the customer the boxes can simply be flatten and placed in the recycle bin.

As for the paper bags they're only good for use if you are not putting in heavy items they don't hold much weight.

I have a few good quality plastic bags that purchased I use I keep them in the car take 1 into the supermarket if I only want a few items, If I am doing a large shop I simply transfer from the shopping cart directly into the car when I get home I put them into the clothes basket and take them inside I find it very easy this way I have been doing it for years.

Last edited: